• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who makes the best .338 lapua mag rifle?

apricot

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
midwest usa
your opinion is welcome as to who makes the best and most accurate .338 lapua rifle. factory only not custom build. looking to purchase one soon. thanks

Re: who makes the best .338 lapua mag rifle?

The best???

If you want the best in one rifle then I'd say there is no such animal. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 FACTORY 338LM bolt guns that are the best... AI AWSM, SAKO TRG42, EDM windrunner if you want the take-down ability, BARRET 98B, DTA SRS... oh wait thats 5 of "the best" 338LM factory bolt guns.

I also want to ask you "who makes the best sports car?" I'm in the market to buy ONE.
wink.gif

ETA: also in your profile under location it might be better to just make up a location instead of putting "classified" like it's some CIA secret. Just trying to help out.

I would take a hard look at the DTA SRS if I were in the market for a 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apricot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jag off</div></div>

Makin' friends early...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apricot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jag off</div></div> who the fuck are you calling someone a jack off? use the search engine.

Calm down there. Try using the search function. There are tons upon tons of threads on here which break down multiple 338's. Search and you will recieve.

Also try avoiding using the word "best" unless when used in a very specific context, for example; which GI Joe is the best and most bad ass (the answer is clearly snake eyes)

A post such as;
Hi, im new here and I have used the search function but would like some input from 338 owners on quality factory rifles. I have these brands in mind...

Just comes off more mature.

Reactions: Mconniff

"The Best" will be a mix of opinions that vary from person to person. I own a Sig Blaser in .338 Lapua that will GetRDun. I know there are other manufacturers that produce outstanding .338 Lapua rifles as well. It boils down to personal preference and $$$$$$$. I will offer one suggestion. I reload for all my rifles and the .338 LM will deliver with the right weapon, shooter and reload!!

While 338's are not a primary source of interest for me I do get to play with them semi regularly. 338's are obnoxious with a brake, some more so than others, Remington and TRG top that list. Just about all of them shoot well.

One that I am very impressed with is an offering from HS-Precision. It's not the rifle per-say it's the brake on this rifle, quite possibly one of the best I have had the pleasure to stand beside as well as shoot. The brake on the HS-P is very unobtrusive and very effective. I'd consider that brake on any rifle I'd be willing to put a brake on.

Here's a link, you have to go down to the pics to find the brake

http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/rifles/tactical/htr.html

Cheers,

Doc

sorry about the comment. i am new here and have used the search engine but dont have all week to read every post! lol looking for people that already own these rifles and their opinions is all. i can spend $10,000.00 on the complete package. and yes i reload already. .308,.300wsm,.45acp and .500s&w mag.

I'm a newbie to the forum, so I'm going to throw in my opinion if for no other reason than to suffer the indignities as a self-inflicted initiation... In other words, I doubt anyone will agree and I'm sure I'll catch some flame for it. Nevertheless, I really loved my Armalite AR-30. I was grouping at 600 meters with consistency. My only complaint was the trigger pull was stiff as a board. In fact, the the action was stiff too, but I'm OK with that.

There... I said it. Now hit me with your best shot. I'm still glad to be here.

bd

BTW: I'll head this off at the pass... You'll notice I write about my beloved AR-30 in the passed tense. Is it not true that the best guns we've ever owned are the ones we've sold and forever wished we hadn't?

Since you have $10,000 to spend buy the DTA SRS in 338 and another conversion kit in 243 win. Put a NF on it and still have money left over for reloading stuff.

I have the Desert tactical in 338Lapua mag and 308 conversion. I must say it is a really nice weapon. You will not regret the purchase.

that savage looks sweet!!! how does it shoot 4 ya? thanks 4 the pic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apricot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that savage looks sweet!!! how does it shoot 4 ya? thanks 4 the pic </div></div>

Only have 42 rds down the barrel. It likes heavier bullets. It has a 1/9 twist so heavier pills work out better,300gr.

I like the Savage. Time will tell, but so far so good. It's a very heavy gun and then add an optic and you have a 20# gun, more or less. Little felt recoil...well duh...

Good luck in your search!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, how much of a dustball does that brake create? </div></div>

Off the deck it makes some dust (as does any circumferential brake) but it's no worse than most of the others and MUCH more pleasant to be around. I put 5 rounds though it and stood / sat behind and to the right for 30 more with no issues. I put 5 through a TRG and could only handle about 5 more spotting before my teeth hurt. Same w/ the Remmy. the pressure wave just pounds your sinuses.

Cheers,

Doc

10K to throw on one rifle? LUCKY!! if it was me, and I know its not, I would get 3 or 4 sweet custom rifles in varying cal and scopes.

anyway, well go AI or sako and dont look back, but for that money just go custom like GAP, a USO variable, and a gemtec can. Save some money and prob get a better deal.

Either way get a can makes for a plesant day at the range with that rifle.

oh and check gunbroker for decent variety...

My advise would be to get behind each of these rifles that your contemplating and see which one feels right to you.

My vote is for DTA SRS in 338 LM and 308. There aren't many ranges (especially here - NE US) that can accommodate (or allow) 338 LM - so 308 is a welcome complement to LM. Also, I can afford to "procure" and subsequently send down the range a lot more of 308
smile.gif
, which gives me the opportunity to practice adequately with the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get in the game for cheap...less than 2K
Savage 110 BA

100_0311.jpg
</div></div>

+1 on the Savage

338.jpg

thanks for your imput guys. i have private land with an old abandoned gravel pit and can hit 1000 yds. i have decided on the AI AWSM W/2.0 stock and nightforce 5.5x22x56 ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A ROCK SOLID BIPOD SETUP??

"who makes the best .338 lapua mag rifle?"

Doubt there is a best sort of like "holden v Ford" it alllllll comes down to the driver
smile.gif