• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Anyone have any opinions on who makes the most accurate, reliable, out of the box 338 LM?

I am interested primarily in bigger companies, but would like to hear about any great smaller outfits as well. I believe custom shops can probably make the best rifles overall, but at this stage I am still a little more comfortable with bigger established companies.

I am considering purchasing a 338 LM, and want input. Lets assume price isn't part of the decision. Only precision, and reliability.

Thanks,

Darkphage

Re: Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

The price part does matter. A Sako TRG is more than likely going to yield the most consistent accuracy out of the box. Keep in mind you can have custom rifles built for what they cost. Most Sako’s shoot 5 shoot groups out of the box between .3 to .5 moa. The Remington and AR-30 both shoot excellent as well. I do not know if my brothers AR-30 will out shoot my Remington as they both shoot very well out of the box. This is going to be a fun thread.

You can start to read up about the 338...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Lapua_Magnum

and then you can follow their to companies here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sniper_rifles

and after you have narrowed down your request for "the Best" you can have a better understanding for what you ask.

It's sort of like saying, who makes the best high end sedan, if money was no objective, but i only want know about every car, with brief synopsis of the smaller companies, heavy focus on the larger more established ones... to which when someone replies you'll say, ya, Porsche is okay, but I was hoping you said Mercedes cause that is what the dealer around the corner sells.

I agree that there will be a lot of personal preference thrown in this thread. In fact I hope there is a lot. I am really hoping to get to the point that people are willing to discuss which rifles they like overall, and why. And which rifles people feel aren't quite as good as the competition.

Assuming the same shooter shot all available rifles under identical controlled conditions, would one manufacturer come out on top with regards to accuracy and reliability?

Just an interesting thought...

Dark

In my opinion, the best out of the box 338 LM rifle is the Accuracy International Artic Warfare Super Magnum (AIAWSM). It was intentionally designed for long range sniping. It is almost bomb proof. In terms of accuracy, AI rifles have always been known to be very accurate. My AIAW, out of the box, shoots easily 0.5 MOA out to 650 yards. I can shoot .75 MOA at 800 yards. I am sure that the rifle can out shoot me any given day. I have one on order right now. The down side to AI rifles is its high cost and the relatively long wait to get one. In my book, it is well worth the wait.
Don't get me wrong! I think Sako TRG42 and the Armalite, and now Remmington are all fine rifles. It's different strokes for different folks.
Like Lowlight's recommendation, I would suggest that you do a little reading on this cartridge. At this time, there are only a few companies that offer this so the reading list should be relatively short.

Tough question to answer. There are plenty of great custom rifle builders who can create an awesome rifle for you, some of them frequent this site. As far as "out of the box" guns, I can only vouch for the only .338 I've ever had a chance to shoot yet, the McMillan TAC-338. It was a blast to shoot and incredibly accurate, but I am a bit biased.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-338.php#a

tac338-package.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's sort of like saying, who makes the best high end sedan, if money was no objective, but i only want know about every car, with brief synopsis of the smaller companies, heavy focus on the larger more established ones... to which when someone replies you'll say, ya, Porsche is okay, but I was hoping you said Mercedes cause that is what the dealer around the corner sells. </div></div>

That was awesome!

only one i've had the pleasure to use is the Sako TRG-42. thing os just perfect in my opinion. adjustable. EXCELLENT trigger, accurate as hell. just get all the options like the bipod, mags, MUZZLE break, and a good base and rings. I loved the way how it sits bellow the center of Gravity when the Bipod is deployed. VERY STABLE platform.

A few Sako fans coming out of the woodwork. I expected that. I have actually researched this very question to some large extent. IA is also a great option from what I have understood.

Please keep it coming!! Very helpful feedback so far.!!

Maybe another side to this whole question should be are there any manufacturers that make a 338 that is only OK, or downright unreliable?

Dark

Every 338 Blaser I have shot has had an issue with the bolt seating and light primer feeds... Don't recommend them.

I also like the Surgeon and PGW 338...

I would have to agree with Frank. I also had problems with a 338 Blaser.

Sold it and purchased a Surgeon,,, never looked back...

I have a McMillan MCRT Tac-338 and a Armalite AR30 (Gap Barreled).I put alot of rounds through both and really enjoy shooting that caliber. "Best" is a misnomer. Buy what you can afford and want what you can't. The only one I WOULD'NT own is the BLASER,because I don't like the design. Now with Remington offering a "production" 338LM,there is a stick for practically every budget. The most important part is the nut behind the trigger anyway. The rifle does not make the RIFLEMAN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The most important part is the nut behind the trigger anyway. The rifle does not make the RIFLEMAN.</div></div>
1+ Lt. Arclight

Any of you guys know anything on the DTA gun, Desert tac arms bullpup. They are doing a 338L along with others. Can't find much info on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casscad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys know anything on the DTA gun, Desert tac arms bullpup. They are doing a 338L along with others. Can't find much info on it. </div></div>

It hasn't been made yet, you can sign up for their waiting list. I've done it
cool.gif

The plan is to start production during the summer.
Here is their website in case you haven't seen it already: www.deserttacticalarms.com Think all the info that's announced so far is on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casscad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys know anything on the DTA gun, Desert tac arms bullpup. They are doing a 338L along with others. Can't find much info on it. </div></div>

There is an article about it in the July 2008 Tactical Weapons Mag.

The ones I like are ,

AI AWSM
Sako TRG-42
PGW Timberwolf
XL Surgeon

Of the above all are available with the exception of the Twolf .
Which is a shame but there you are .

MAYBE , Badger will make a magnum 6 lug version of the Badger 2008 action , that would be cool .

Later Chris

Go with a Sako TRG42 for an "out of the box" rifle and go with a McMillan TAC-338 for a custom rifle...

and as Arclight says with current rifle production is not the rifle which does the rifleman.

see you.

Just picked up this topic. I set in to shopping, and I see some ammo in .338 lapua. But, the rifles I,m seeing are .338 lapua mag. Is there a difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TRG is good, just don't drop it.

-z</div></div>

Hello Zac,

Why do you say it?

A guy on AR15.com dropped his and the stock broke in half right around the pistol-grip area. I can't remember if Beretta/SAKO ever fixed it, but I thought not; and he posted pictures of the thing broken, and then slathered in epoxy.

-z

Not sure if Beretta ever warrantied anything................cause their stuff dont break
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A guy on AR15.com dropped his and the stock broke in half right around the pistol-grip area. I can't remember if Beretta/SAKO ever fixed it, but I thought not; and he posted pictures of the thing broken, and then slathered in epoxy.

-z

</div></div>

The first time I removed the buttstock on my TRG22, I must admit I was not impressed with the construction. It is very thin in the area where it dovetails onto the aluminum action bedding system.I can see how that could happen.---NOT A COMPLAINT, just an observation. Wouldn't ant to start an internet SHITSTORM!
laugh.gif

I find this very odd..........since almost all the EUROP-IANS use the SAKO TRGs.......................
Wonder what they do?.
I just wish they would go to a 1-10 twist on the .338.................

I'm voting for the PGW Timberwolf. I wish I had the cash to afford one, I'd buy one in a second.

The last I saw the PGW T-wolf action was priced a little below the Surgeon XL. I think the rifles complete without a deployment kit were around $5500. Their website has been down a while now.

If you used your TRG stock like a baseball bat.... Maybe you'll have some problem !!!! but it will be true for every stock soon or late... some are more resistant than other. But all modern synthetic stock will do a good job except if you get a "flaw" .

Personally, I have extensively used stock of my Steyr SSG and Benelli SBE in the field. Some of "well informed" people said me to be carefull because they were made in synthetic plastic (not fiberglass or carbon/kevlar) and with time and exposure to sun and freeze they will break soon or late. No problem I'm always waiting. My sako, McMillan, Steyr, Ruger stock(s) never give up me and I use them in very very hard condition... you can trust me... Majority of moderm production are "reliable" but you're always exposed to a "flaw". No complain with SAKO TRG42 hard field tested....

Just remember if you want to scrap a gun (barrel, stock)...
Go in the field with snow, rain, low low temperature and bring back your gun directly in your home or dry it with a towel or close it wet in your gun case, when you arrive to your truck. And yes !!! sooner you'll have not a gun but a rubbish.

The only rule: is to leave it dry alone with ambiant air near your hunting cabin, in your car or in your private car parking before to bring back it inside your "home sweet home". and If you want a baseball bat.... buy a Baseball bat.

Have a good day !

Awesome input -- I have learned about a few different rifles that I had never heard much at all about. I agree that the rifle doesn't make the rifleman, but having one you have extreme confidence in sure as hell helps.

Nothing worse than shooting a system that you have doubts about. I have a .308 that for whatever reason, I just don't "feel" good about. I never have. I keep it cuz it was given to me by a relative.

Great Thread

Dark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last I saw the PGW T-wolf action was priced a little below the Surgeon XL. I think the rifles complete without a deployment kit were around $5500. Their website has been down a while now. </div></div>

Use this URL

http://www.pgwdti.com
Mine was $16K but that's as you see it in the case.

I shot Bill's AI .338 at TacPro once and fell in love. Be sure to buy a can for it though, it makes for really nice shooting. I'd get one but I couldn't afford to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHP9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last I saw the PGW T-wolf action was priced a little below the Surgeon XL. I think the rifles complete without a deployment kit were around $5500. Their website has been down a while now. </div></div>

Use this URL

http://www.pgwdti.com/id16.htm

Mine was $16K but that's as you see it in the case. </div></div>

Thanks for the link!
I was really close on price and I haven't seen that page in a while.

The rifle itself is reasonable...in fact it is within $100 of a Surgeon Remedy.

Get George to build what you want. When the truck shows up get it " Out of the box" and there you go . Best out of the box 338.

I work at a gun store and had a customer drop a trg-42 from about 4 or 5 ft and it cracked the stock in a couple places near the grip. We did send it to sako and they sent it back fixed. I dont know what they told sako, they may have said it was broken on arrival. Either way it was a hard fall and I still plan on buying one.

I got to fondle the upcoming Barrett M98 last week. It was bad ass and instantly made up my mind to pursue a 338. Release is some time this year, price to be determined....

I got to finger a pair of EDM Windrunners in .338LM built with aluminum receivers. Solid and relatively light for Windrunners.

I've been using a Blaser Tac II with a S&B PMII 3-12. Its been really good, faultless with Lapua factory ammo. I'm waiting on some redding reloading gear to tune up some loads that are more cost efficient.

I was just out to Lawton Machine and they have a run of 338 barreled actions being worked up. They should be available in about 40-60 days. They are a repeater that takes Badger bottom metal.

Don't know enough to say what's the best. I can say I've owned AR-30, TRG-42 and Van Dyke TESM rifles in .338 LM.

AR-30 is fugly, but accurate. At the time it was the cheapest way for me to get into the .338 lm caliber. Lots of people looking to get into .338 caliber and so sold it for about what I paid for it.

TRG-42 = great stick. Accurate, smooth. Hard on scopes so get a good one. I hear soon to be offered w 1:9 twist? I haven't dropped my TRG so can't speak to fragility.

Van Dyke custom. Big, honking stick, but high quality and very accurate.

The DSR 1 is the most expensive......but not sure about the best.

The bi-pod design and rail slider system is good. The second mag fitting is in the way for certain positional shots such as off the knee when sitting and then needs to be removed to work best. After that it is good but stupidly over expensive.

Weight for me would be a key issue.Many are too heavy for positional shooting or for a ghillie suit crawl in heat.

Some comparisons on weight would be interesting and I expect the Sako to come out as one of the lightest if it follows the trend in .308.

Allowing for balance and weight saving and recoil control going the custom route might well be worth the hassle......you can shave pounds here and there by selecting what is best and still have it shooting as good or better because of M/B or Moderator choice and bi-pod design which can help control the recoil.

A folding stock AWSM with a TRG low hung bi-pod and a lightweight moderator such as the swiss ASE Ultra would be a good start if you could mix and match. If Peter Jackson can develop his two stage trigger for the AE platform and Border Barrels were to do you a custom fluted palma profile barrel shaving a bit of weight off and if you fitted a recoil dampner in the butt to help with back end balancing of the barrel weight (as well as recoil) this would be close to my ideal.
If you could re-design the thumb hole area on the stock for larger hands and maybe give a palm heel accessory for "waiting" comfort aka the Unique alpine design then even better.

PW.

How about this:

Surgeon XL, AIG folder, expensive, but nice

right-side.jpg

So I emailed PGWDTI and they still have some Timberwolf's available. Does anyone here have experience with both a Timberwolf and an AI AWM .338LM?

I'm looking at investing in one of the two, and i'm wondering about durability in the field as well as the accuracy, the little info I can find on the Timberwolf names it very accurate, but there are so few of them out there, I can't find any reviews/articles to compare it.

Any input is helpful, not trying to hijack the thread, but both PGW and AI seem to have come up abit in this thread...