• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who makes the best ar500 longrange targets?

Re: who makes the best ar500 longrange targets?

I bought mine from osuarchitect here on the hide. Shot them a lot with .22 and 75 gr .223 Amax with no wear; some people on here have shot them with .50 BMG and only had a small dent I think.

I guess it all depends on what caliber/range you are using too.

I know osuarchitect is a member here and would go with him in the future.

However, I bought some from Mike Gibson Manu. and was very happy with them.

I vote OSU as well. The best part is his are water jet cut while others may be plasma cut. The heat process degrades durability. Plus, he can do custom work for you. I hear he can cut AR500 in the shape of naked women
wink.gif

I have spent thousands of dollars with osuarchitect and highly recommend him and his steel. he can make anything you want--just ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LVshooter here on the hide. </div></div>

+2

Kurt is a great guy to deal with and makes some of the best targets I've seen.

ETA: www.lvsteeltargets.com

LVshooter, nice videos. i like the .22's one. i just started cracking up for some reason with all them shots getting fired. someone was smacking that little hostage target like moe slapped larry & curly

For your locale there is really none better than MGM Targets. There are lots of guys making pretty good steel targets but MGM's are first class plus they are right down the road from you. Also I know of noone in the steel target game who backs up their targets as well as MGM.

http://www.mgmtargets.com/index.php

I'm very happy with my LV Steel target. I met Kurt here in Vegas and he was great to do business with.

I just got a set of 1/2 inch thick square targets from osuarchitect (bigdogsteel.com) and they look great and the price was even better. The 1/2in. target are not listed on the websight, shoot him a message and he will hook you up. He includes shipping in the price.

Osuarchitect here has great CS. The reactive steel plates I bought from him are great !

MGM or LVSteel would be my choices. Both are excellent. Shoot my 1/2" LV target at 100 yards with a 300WM and not even a dent.

The key is the steel not the company. Go with US STEEL AR 500. All the good co. will use AR500. All three co. mention are good, but you can go to any flame cutter, plasma, water jet, laser, cutting co. and have them build you targets. A 4 foot by 8 foot 3/8 sheet of AR 500 should run about 800.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have spent thousands of dollars with osuarchitect and highly recommend him and his steel. he can make anything you want--just ask. </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
I just ordered from him. Looking forward to receiving my order on Friday or Saturday. Fast response, good prices.

Bob
</span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Osuarchitect here has great CS. The reactive steel plates I bought from him are great !</div></div>
+1

I just ran a bunch of 3/8" AR500 if anyone is interested. I have been doing these for some local guys for the most part, but looking to branch out. Still have some 12", 8", and 4" squares left over from the last run.

Make your own and save a ton. I built a huge pile of them about 10 years ago, and they are holding up extremely well. I made mine out of 3/8" Wearform 500, available from Ryerson Steel. This steel is intended for mining equipment, but has specs extremely similar to AP without the associated high cost. I haven't tried AP rounds, but they'll stop a 50 BMG with ball ammo at 50 yards with zero problems.

Here's a link...

Ryerson Wearform 500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make your own and save a ton. I built a huge pile of them about 10 years ago, and they are holding up extremely well. I made mine out of 3/8" Wearform 500, available from Ryerson Steel. This steel is intended for mining equipment, but has specs extremely similar to AP without the associated high cost. I haven't tried AP rounds, but they'll stop a 50 BMG with ball ammo at 50 yards with zero problems.

Here's a link...

How much was that ffor a 4x8 sheet Thanks ?

Ryerson Wearform 500 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make your own and save a ton. I built a huge pile of them about 10 years ago, and they are holding up extremely well. I made mine out of 3/8" Wearform 500, available from Ryerson Steel. This steel is intended for mining equipment, but has specs extremely similar to AP without the associated high cost. I haven't tried AP rounds, but they'll stop a 50 BMG with ball ammo at 50 yards with zero problems.

Here's a link...

How much was that ffor a 4x8 sheet Thanks ?

Ryerson Wearform 500 </div></div> </div></div>

My notes are spotty, but it looks like it was $24 a square foot. Best to call Ryerson and get up to date prices anyway since this, if correct, is 10 years old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ </div></div>

You know of any place in town that might have some?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ </div></div>

You know of any place in town that might have some? </div></div>

Your town or mine?

Ryerson has offices all over the country...

Have seen most of them and used or shot several of them. Kurt makes a very good product and we routinely beat the snot out of them and they keep on ticking.....

Kurt

Yes Kurt

Kurt

havent penetrated one yet - (dammit) - but hit a few.

+1 for osuarchitect. Were hitting steel from 200yds out to 1000 and so far they are holding up to everything were shooting at it including 50bmg.

Keep in mind penetrating and cratering the steel is only one aspect of a steel targets durability.

Cracking welds, breaking bolts, broken mounts, hinges, etc etc are equally as important. The shock and vibration that steel targets endure easily tears up inferior designs.

From the targets I have personally used MGM makes the best targets. Kurt also makes a good target.

I bought a couple targets from osuarchitect today and plan to give them a workout. Will post back after I receive them.

-X