• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who makes the best bore guides?

Re: Who makes the best bore guides?

Get the Lucas and don't look back. Its probably one of the best if not THE best bore guide on the market IMHO. I've used a few others and the Lucas blows them out the door.

Chad

Mike Lucas makes VERY good bore guides. I have 3 of his.

For the VERY BEST, money is no object, TK Nolan's Barrel Saver is the best you can buy. I have one for one of my benchrest rifles. Stainless steel with nylon parts pressed on.

T. K. Nolan
918-633-2966

TK Tool Co.
401 So. Cimaron St.
Catoosa, OK, 74015

[email protected]

the lucas bore guide is the best cuz when you have your cleaning rod hanging out the end is does not touch the crown---you wanna leave that sharp crown alone ---bad juju happens when you molest that area with a cleaning rod. Lucas bore guide is the best insurance to protect that crown..hope that helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudyard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the lucas bore guide is the best cuz when you have your cleaning rod hanging out the end is does not touch the crown---you wanna leave that sharp crown alone ---bad juju happens when you molest that area with a cleaning rod. Lucas bore guide is the best insurance to protect that crown..hope that helps </div></div>

Please forgive my ignorance. But how does any bore guide protect the crown?

Reactions: Jemez

While I am thoroughly satisfied with my Lucas guide, I call BS on the crown situation.

I have a 30 cal Dewey Coated rod and it still has enough flex with the Lucas guide to touch the crown.

The trick is with a coated rod it doesn't really matter.

I have over a dozen coated Dewey rods and probably 10 different bore guides of differing manufacture. I agree on the crown BS. Now THROAT is a different thing. By keeping the rod centered in the chamber there will be less rubbing / abrading in the throat area. But as far as protecting the CROWN, someone will have to prove that to me.

Where can I purchase a Lucas bore guide? I am tried looking online but can't find any.

.....all right, so I got me a Lucas bore guide on the way, now what do i need for a good rod, brush, jag and all-purpose solvent? Got suggestions? Thanks !!

When you ordered the Lucas bore guide, you are suppose to specify which rod you're going to use ahead of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmr57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....all right, so I got me a Lucas bore guide on the way, now what do i need for a good rod, brush, jag and all-purpose solvent? Got suggestions? Thanks !!</div></div>

Tipton and Dewey make outstanding cleaning rods as well as jags..the best solvent I have used is Kroil and the best lube I've used is Eezox..Hoppe's #9 works well also as well as BreakFree CLP...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmr57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....all right, so I got me a Lucas bore guide on the way, now what do i need for a good rod, brush, jag and all-purpose solvent? Got suggestions? Thanks !! </div></div>

Before you buy a rod, measure the inside diameter of the Lucas rod guide (the smaller of the two pieces that slips over the rod directly.) Make sure the diameter of your new rod is a tiny bit smaller than the id--and under no circumstances, larger.

I asked Mr Lucas for a suggestion on a rod and jag and brush. All he replied was "NOPE"......as if he didn't have any suggestions or wasn't intersted in giving any suggestions.....thats why I am asking here.

So I have a mike Lucas bore guide from a deviant tactical 6.5 saum build I no longer own...

I do have a new rig that has a Kelblys black bear in a 6GT

Could I use the old Lucas bore guide for the new rig?