• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who makes the best rail for a Tikka T3X?

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    I'm seeing offerings for Tikka rails from Nightforce, Warne, Mountain Tactical (two versions), and EGW.

For those who have compared them, which do you prefer and why?

Also off the topic of rails, does anyone offer a 2 stage replacement trigger? With a straight shoe or am I being too picky?

Thanks.

I've got an EGW HD and am very pleased with the overall quality. I also have a 20 MOA Mountain Tactical and a 0 MOA Nightforce that are not being used if you are interested.

I don't think it will be much longer before Timney gives in and makes us a nice 2-stage for our Tikka's. They can't hold out forever.

Reactions: Tunnuh
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't away the Murphys or Near were offering Tikka rails. I'm familiar with both companies and their quality is top notch. Do their offerings have a recoil lug?

I know Near Mfg base has lugs, not sure on the Murphy Precision. Farrell's has no recoil lug. My Tikka's a .223 so a lug is kind of redundant in this application.

I found some pics of the Murphys for Tikka and it doesn't have a lug. I looked around and didn't find a Near for the T3 but I know he makes some stuff that isn't listed on the site.

-The finest scope base money can buy is
    ...available for the following rifles:

products08.jpg

NEAR MFG 34MM Rings & Base on
    .378 Weatherby MKV
    Winchester M70 short, long and the WSM
    Remington 700 all models
    Browning A Bolt and BAR
    Weatherby Mk V
    Sako TRG 21/22 and 41/42
    Savage- short action round top
    FN Browning and Commercial FN
    Parker Hale 1200
    TIKA M595 & T3

I found some pics of the Murphys for Tikka and it doesn't have a lug. I looked around and didn't find a Near for the T3 but I know he makes some stuff that isn't listed on the site.

The Murphy Precision rail is bored for a doweled recoil lug that mates up with the boring in a Tikka receiver. Give Cameron a call and he'll fix you right up.

Reactions: Chukwithak
    I like the idea of a recoil lug but its definitely not a deal breaker. I think a little red loctite between the base and top of action along with proper torque on the base screws is plenty strong.

Reactions: Stooxie
    I like the idea of a recoil lug but its definitely not a deal breaker. I think a little red loctite between the base and top of action along with proper torque on the base screws is plenty strong.

I second this.

I just picked up a Talley 20MOA mount from my lgs and have been plenty happy. It is a bit longer than other offerings which gives you more room to mount your scope.

I'm really curious about opinions on the Near AlphaHunter, looks like a slick direct mount to the action with reasonably spaced rings. Would be nice to avoid having a base and then rings or a unified mount. It's visible in the third and fourth photos at the link. Would be using for PRS type shooting.

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I'm going to end up with two T3's, so I'll need two mounts anyway. Wareagle700 is hooking me up with his spare Mountain Tactical setup and I'm going to contact Near to get a base from them as well.

That alpha hunter does seem interesting but I don't know exactly which optic will be on what yet and I'm not as familiar with mounting height for the T3's (only had a few of them) as I am with other platforms so I'm going to stick with a rail for modularity for my application for now. If you're interested in one and know what optic you'll be using as well as barrel contour I'm sure Near could size you up right. I've had a couple of their Alphamounts and numerous R700 and M70 bases from them and they're top notch. The mounts are just downright sexy to boot.

Reactions: Dkcampbl
    I've used the Mountain Tactical rails and they've always worked great for me. The recoil lug is nice to have, although I am not sure its strictly needed on my 6 and 6.5 match rifles. Also, Jard makes a trigger for the Tikka, which I believe is 2-stage http://www.jardinc.com/new-page-40/. The new 2-stage trigger on the Tikaa T3x TAC A1 is really nice, and hope it becomes available as a standalone part - should be a drop-in for any Tikka T3x action.

Just received two T3 mounts from Murphy (20moa blasted finish)

They come set up for a precision ground dowl pin to be used as a recoil lug. Very well done, and very tight tolerances. I ended up freezing the dowl pin to get everything to fit without excessive force and it went in nicely

I just placed an order with Murphy for a 20MOA Titanium bases, and his bases all come with a lug. And just to add, his customer service is the best in business. I emailed him to ask about titanium versus steel and asked about turn around time. He responded back within 5 minutes and said he didn't have any titanium in stock, but would machine one and send it out within two days. Thank you very much Mr. Murphy.

Any new/current input on which 20 moa rail for the T3X? I’m looking to buy one asap.

Thank you

I have a 30 moa Ken Farrell and it's really nice, plus I like that it doesn't overhang the action at all. That helps with lower rings and a 56mm objective.

Look at DNZ Game Reaper. I run it on a few high recoiling rifles and it's rock solid. I got the lapping tool and compound out for both of them, one pass and they're completely bare - they don't need to be lapped. All reviews on them are stellar. Go to their website and you can build them to your specs more or less. One solid piece milled from a block of aluminum.

+1 for Murphy Precision. Top quality scope rails for the Tikkas.

I'm seeing offerings for Tikka rails from Nightforce, Warne, Mountain Tactical (two versions), and EGW.

For those who have compared them, which do you prefer and why?

Also off the topic of rails, does anyone offer a 2 stage replacement trigger? With a straight shoe or am I being too picky?

Thanks.
    I cannot offer a comparison, but I can speak positively of the Mountain Tactical rail, which I have used for the past 3 years on my Tikka T3 CTR (.308). I've used the rifle in PRS-style matches and several hunts. Two thumbs up from me.

I have used a few different ones including Contessa (nice) and Leupold. I just ordered my 2nd Mountain Tactical 20 MOA rail. I like the recoil lug and simple design.

Seeing as this thread's now been resurrected, I was on this hunt just last week ... one thing to know is that Mountain Tactical's rails are "only" 6061 aluminium, while Area 419's are 7075.

I've used the Mountain Tactical Raptor mounts before, and, while serviceable, felt a little rough, and not as refined as mounts/rings by NF, Spuhr, or Tier One.

I ordered a Mountain Tactical for a 6.5 Creed build, as I was keen on an integrated recoil pin (and the Area 419 description suggests theirs is separate) ... but going to order the Area 419 as well and pick which seems best.

Area 419 also go out of their way to say what machine their rail is built on, and how they radius between the slots on on the corners of the lugs.

Reactions: General RE LEE
    Murphy Precision’s titanium rail is awfully nice. And I believe Near Manufacturing also makes a Tikka rail.

If so, well, Near makes the best Rem 700/clone rails I have ever seen.

Probably the most secure picatinny rail for Tikka is the Norwegian Vision chassis manufactured rail.
    It goes to the Tikka 17mm dovetail groove, and then you secure it with the 4 screws, ho tight is that ;)
    Vision%20Picatinny%20Tikka.jpg

Probably the most secure picatinny rail for Tikka is the Norwegian Vision chassis manufactured rail.
    It goes to the Tikka 17mm dovetail groove, and then you secure it with the 4 screws, ho tight is that ;)
    Hmmm ... their site says not only the 4 screws, but 2 pins as well, which is even better:

1672474354075.png

Thanks @viking78!

Reactions: Dobermann
    I have MDT, Spuhr, and Area 419 Tikka rails. The quality is there on all 3 so for me it came down to aesthetics and the Area 419 rail and MDT rails win in that department. I prefer how nicely they both match the contour of the receiver.

Edit: Just realized this thread died in 2019, but the info is still relevant.

Hmmm ... their site says not only the 4 screws, but 2 pins as well, which is even better:
    I’ll take your 4 screw 2 pin wager and raise you 1 screw and 1 pin! See vid on page.

(Near Mfg specs unknown, but he’ll probably make what you want)

This picture you can see the rail mounted.
    It slides over the action, and the Tikka dovetail.
    For sure the 2 pins are good to add, hold the recoil the best way.
    I might even add some lock tite, for permanent hold.
    Sliding over the dovetail is a nice detail.

I've used Red Loctite on other Tikka rails, which has worked well.

It's a shame that GCP's contact form is not working, nor is Chris Ritchie's email ... they're not making it easy to order this rail!

I can’t see how the Vision attaches, but if I’m reading correctly, it sounds the same as similar ones I’ve used on Anschutz before, temporarily. The problem is that dovetails and bolts fight each other on these dual-mount rails. The dovetail needs to be pinched or pulled up to engage, while the screws are doing the opposite.

Just seen it on a google search on the vision Facebook page. Not for me.

The area 419 rail looks far sleeker.

Last edited:
    Reactions: viking78
    Has anyone got photos of this on a rifle before I spends my hard earned kr be the Guinea pig?
    Where/how are you going to spend your hard-earned Kroner?

I tried to contact GCP about this the other day; no luck. I then had a quick look through three or four of the Euro distribtuors' websites - none of them listed it as something they carry / have in stock.

The UK retailer had another T3X rail listed, but I don't think it was the Vision one.

I've used a variety or different Tikka rails;
    factory CTR, DIP, Nightforce, DPT and now ended up with all mountain tactical rails. Mountain tactical rails have been fine for a few years now.

Can say I ever had an issue with any rails other than some shitty JP plastic adapter things I used on my T1x when I first bought it.