• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the better INTEGRAL 22WMR rifles today?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
In the past, there was a company in TN that made a rifle I think called the Ticho, and another in Texas that I believe was SAS or something similar. Then there are all the other shops and can makers that have or had integral options like Elite Iron and similar shops.

Today, I am thinking a CZ 457 Varmint as a starting point but, I am open to other options like the Bergara B-14R and similar rifles. Over $1K for the bare rifle is not a likely choice to start with. The B14-R full steel barrel at ~$850 is realistically about as much as I would consider as a starting point. For switch barrels, I like the CZ 457 option best right now but, other solutions are viable too.

I am looking for predator elimination in a somewhat handy (i.e. not overly heavy or long) rifle that looks non-suppressed to casual passers-by while I am out and about. I have rimfire cans for threaded rifles but, I want less attention and 22 Magnum ammunition, not a simple 22LR and can for lots of drama, questions, etc., and similar stuff from random people who think I am a Mexican Mafia sniper or some similar $#%*! 🤬 Not to mention, something more effective on larger aggressive dogs in particular than a 22LR!

I am pretty flexible in appearance as long as it doesn't scream suppressor! I also need a bit more thump than a 22LR so, 22WMR seems obvious but, any similar option commonly available in the retail trade at modest prices is a possible option. 17HM and 17WSM and similar rimfire rounds I think are the wrong solution due to availability and possibly noise issues with a higher ballistic crack over a slower 22WMR with its heavier payload and broader bullet face.

TIA,
Sid

To all the 17HMR fans out there, the newer ballistic tip rounds look really good but, that tiny bore is a concern for me. Yes, I can buy a skinny rod and jags for it but, keeping it clean is a concern. Then there is the machining of an integral barrel solution that could negatively impact barrel harmonics or the flight path of the bullet in other ways.

The 'inertia' of a larger and heavier bullet seems to be less sensitive to those issues in this scenario. Plus, I can buy various 22WMR locally with 17HRM being available in only limited local retail locations in very limited options. Online options reduce this concern some but, 22WMR remains much easier and cheaper generally to source.

Perhaps something like a 221 Fireball would be good too but, ammo cost will be a lot higher and harder to source. And, the rifle itself will most likely be much larger and heavier too compared to a good 22WMR solution. Thoughts?

Reactions: ZG47A