• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who makes the lowest height picatinny base?

cgv69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Boone Co., KY
Guys,

I have a 700 5r, Leupold 4.5-14x50mm scope, Burris XTR low rings and an EGW 20-MOA base (I ordered a 0-MOA and that's what the package says but you can clearing see it's a 20-MOA base)

Anyway, the whole setup sits about .5" too high for proper head alignment. I would just throw an Eagle stock pad on but that won't work in this case because I need the rifle to remain somewhat ambidextrous.

I have read that EGW bases are much higher then some others? Looking at it, that seems likely. I've read that Ken Farrel bases are high too? So what I need to know is who makes a 1-piece, Pictatinny type base (preferably 0-MOA) for a 700SA that sits low and is priced under $100? I don't care what material its made of as this is going on a .223 rifle but I do expect decent quality and in spec rails?

I was considering the LaRue rail for $75 but it's doesn't look much lower in the pics I've seen?

Re: Who makes the lowest height picatinny base?

Buy a scope with 100moa of elevation, use steel Weaver bases and buy the rings that best suit. Leupold QRW, Warne Maxima, Weaver S are all fine. Warne makes the lengthy extension bases you can mill/file extra slots in.

You can shim the rear base to get cant.

You can also use the very top-most mil-dot or hash mark in a delineated reticle as your 50 or 100yd aiming point.

Two solutions for you.

#1 - Lowest base, probably Seekins.

#2 - You could use the Burris mounts with the Pos-Align rings to fake a 20moa mount. Read this article I quoted from Sierra bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sierra Bullets X-Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000 Yard Scope Mounting Made Easy
Rich Machholz

When I am discussing the 1000 yard Benchrest game with new shooters I point out the easiest way to get started is the optional stock class. The rifle and cartridge choices for this class are really pretty simple; pick your favorite brand of rifle in 308 Winchester. Of course any 30 caliber will work and the 300 Win Mag is a very good choice as well. Bullets are also an easy choice, use the Sierra 175 grain MatchKing in the 308 or the 190, 200 or the new 210 grain MatchKings in the bigger 300 Magnums. Although the scope choices are a little more complicated mounting them is the key to success.

Most one inch diameter scopes will not have enough internal adjustments to allow the shooter to get on target at 1000 yards. In order to center or at least nearly center the reticle on a 308 rifle, some shimming is in order. Since the scope lacks the necessary internal adjustment travel for optimal optical performance it must be provided externally. Elevating the rear of the scope by raising the rear mount or ring .040" higher than the front does the trick. This can be a daunting task or very easy and uncomplicated depending upon how you approach it.

My solution is based upon the K.I.S.S. principal. I use the Burris Pos-Align rings and offset inserts. By using a -.020" insert in the front and a +.020 insert in the rear I get a total of .040" "tilt" which will give plenty of reticle adjustment thus allowing me to keep the dot in the middle of the scope tube for distortion free zeroing. This also means that I have no ring honing to do and I don't have to worry about creasing my scope with rings that haven't been honed. It is a win -win situation. The cost doesn't move me into next seasons budget and I don't have to worry about adding a few ounces to the overall weight of the rifle.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can shim the rear base to get cant.</div></div>

Really? Won't this bend/break a scope? If the front mount is level and aligned with the rear and then you tweak the rear up, you just bent your scope.

Maybe you can explain what I'm missing.

I guess I didn't word my post well. My issue isn't an MOA issue, it's a scope height\head alignment issue.

Moot point now. I just found that Blackhawk makes a check pad that should work perfect for my needs and the parts I already have. Thanks guys