• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who runs Hornady 75 BTHP

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I picked up a box and will try em out through my WOA 1:7 SPR tube. Anyone have good accuracy load for these with either varget or re15 (what I have on hand). Is there a particular velocity or powder that they seem to reliably perform well with?

So far I have worked up decent results from both Nosler CC 77 and SMK 77 at ~2700 fps mark.

cheers!

Re: Who runs Hornady 75 BTHP

24.3 varget LC brass CCI primer 2.25 COAL

Be warned they are NOT consistent lot-to-lot; don't be like me and buy a box of 600, when it's half empty throw in a couple hundred of a different lot and shake the box up...whoops...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know what velocity the hornadys are hitting out of your rig? </div></div>

around 2600

18" barrel 1:8 twist

Very helpful. I was courious how high I should step up in my first test batch. I would like to get near 2700. We shall see.

Y'all get decent accuracy from these projectiles? Still shooting em? Or did you give em up for something else?
Thanks

I tried the Hornday 75s because they were cheaper than the Sierras. I used the same load that I did with the Sierras, which was 24ish grains of RL15 with LC brass and a Remington 7.5 primer. My velocity was reliable 2650 or so. I never got the same accuracy out of Hornadys that I did with the Sierras. I was running an 18" Superior Barrels with 1:7 twist.

I'm still using mine as I have 300something left, when they're gone I will probably get nosler 77's instead. Sierra 77's, Nosler 77's, Hornady 75's are all great but the difference between lots is something I don't like.

I have shot a few thousand of these bullets for 3 gun. They absolutely love between 24-25 grains of Ramshot Tac.

I run the Hornady 75gr HPBT's with 24.3gr of RL-15 in LC cases and Rem 7 1/2 primers. They shoot well out of a RRA NM 20" with 1/8" twist and a RRA 16" with 1/9" twist. They shoot sub-MOA in both guns.

That being said though, when I'm out of the 1,200 Hornady I bought, I will switch to Sierra or Nosler 77's. I found very inconsistent weights among the bullets I have, even within the same boxes of 600. I weighed about 60 of them a few weeks ago out of one box and found weights varying between 73.9gr's to 75.4gr's.

I am using win brass, 24.5 varget, cci primers. They are very accurate, both in White Oak 18" and 16" barrels.

I used between 24 and 24.5 grains of Varget for High Power Service Rifle. Shot the 75gr BTHP's across the course. Varget is super stable as far as temp goes which is always a good thing.

Respectfully,

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used between 24 and 24.5 grains of Varget for High Power Service Rifle. Shot the 75gr BTHP's across the course. Varget is super stable as far as temp goes which is always a good thing.

</div></div>

I run the same load with great results. I have a .535 MAO group that I shot from my 18" Noveske! I thought that was pretty decent since I was just using a bipod.

EXCELLENT!

This is just the dope i am looking for. I have the varget and rl15 hanging around, I will test a few loads out and see whats what.

I am looking to build a reasonabley accurate to (300yd), very good value, training type load. And the hornadys seem to be a good bit cheaper than the sierras for sure, and even the noslers.

If there is more out there, keep it coming.

WOA are bad ass barrels..Ive used 6 diffrent WOA Barrels from 16" to 18" SPR have all shot the same load,One I have 10k rounds threw,accuracy is head shot capable to 600 yards good conditions,Torso in bad conditions..Shoots the same accuracy with my AAC7-62SD 2moa/6clock shift low on all WOA barrels I used every time,Easy to add 2moa and send them..

75BTHP
LC or WCC Brass FLR
400 CCI
24.2 RL15 thrown from harrels measure
77mk for me shoots the dope as the 75bthp useing the same load,The .390 Hornady B.C. is bullshit its about the same as the MK..I wouldnt shoot nolsers out of my BLACK HOLE barrel,Even though they both deserve each other.

I built Dope cards around 60 deg,That will give center mass hits from 18-102 deg year round to 700 yards.. 2650fps is middle of the road velocity.I add a LITTLE 1/4-1/2 MOA when its realy cold,I take a little 1/4-1/2 MOA when its realy hot..

The group in the photo was shot at 500 yards using a Colt M4 "target Carbine" and 24.1 grains of RL15, 75 Hornady HPBT, Remington 7 1/2 primer and LC once fired brass sorted by weight. This load is very accurate in 6 of my 5.56 rifles.

[imgimg]

the good info keeps coming!! I need some more RE15, once I pick it up, I will try the 75s over it.

I loaded some of the 75s up from 22.5 to 24 grains of varget, cci 400s, PMC brass.

Through my woa 1:7. This is what I came up with at 100 yds. (I was shooting prone off a bipod for the first time, so I expect some of the crazy awful results were more me than the ammo)

22.5 gave about 2500 fps and good accuracy. put 3 rounds (all I loaded) in a half minute. may do some further work in this area.

23 about 2550 fps, and a garbage group, 1.5"

23.5 about 2680 fps and a half minute. (I will focus my load up work in this area)

23.8 about 2680 also and again 1.5" group.

24 about 2700 fps and a 1 inch tall group .5 inches wide. (I suspect an inconsistent bipod load is to blame. The next group of a reliable SMK load exhibited a similar form.)

Somewhere in here I think I will find my inexpensive accuracy load. Some of the groups here are better than anything I have produced with a few hundred nosler cc 77s.

As an aside on the prone shooting, once I get consistent at it, I think I will really like it. At the end of they day I was able to drop 5 SMK 77s into a 2.25" wide by 1.1" tall group at 300 yds from prone. Personal best at that range!

I have been using the Hornady 75gr BTHPs in my 18" Krieger SPR barreled AR rifle for a little over a year. I'm using the off the shelf Hornady loaded ammo. It's getting me well under .75 moa at 100 yards and seems to be holding at least moa or better out to 500 yards. I had no problems hitting LaRue targets at 750 with this round. No feeding problems, and as accurate a round as I have found for this rifle including hand loads.

I have also tried the Hornady 75gr BTHP's loaded over RL-15, Varget, and RamShot TAC. I don't get near the accuracy out of the hand loads that I do with the box ammo.