• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still drives a manual?

Do you row gears?

• No

• Yes

• I can but my ride can’t

• After my last DUI im only allowed to ride a bike

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ive still got a couple.
The daily is a 6mt.

Would buy a new truck but they dont offer a stick anymore.

Reactions: gigamortis
Learned at age 16 on a standard transmission and didn't have an automatic until I could legally drink. At almost 40, I still find myself reaching down to shift gears.

Reactions: jrassy
This spring I hopped in my parents Suzuki on the farm and found that I had forgotten how to drive an automatic. I had more trouble getting used to it than I did the International farm truck with an Eaton 18 speed that I had driven for the first time that day.
Kristian

Is there another way?

Edit: 3 manuals, 1 DCT and one slushbox in the fleet right now. Company truck is of course two pedals as well.

Second edit, my old rusty trusty and a new to me behind a barn find that's gonna destroy me financially:
20150815_102028.jpg
20220724_195557.jpg

Last edited:
i DD'd a couple for almost 20 years. when the kids started coming and the wife was having trouble driving my 05 Cummins 6 speed, i decided to let it go with 285k on the clock and stepped up to a newer truck with more space for car seats and has much higher payload and towing rating.

i loved that 05 6 speed, it was such a great truck with an HD transmission, but honestly, my 2017 RAM 3500 with the Aisin is atleast twice the truck that one was.

i miss the stick shift many times. but there are other times i dont miss it at all.

Reactions: rhsc and Buckley
I learned to drive on a manual trans car, owned many for many years

FUCKING TRAFFIC got so bad where I lived that I just could not take grinding a clutch up for hours everyday commuting to work with a manual. I bought an auto trans car just to deal with shitty traffic and then never went back

Now it seems there isn't much real advantage to manuals anymore, autos get better gas mileage and better 0-60 times in most applications...

That said, I still had manual shift motorcycles for 25 years ;) (but recently sold that when I moved)

I am not sure I would go back to manual trans in a car at this point, would have to give it some thought. I do not live in a heavy traffic area anymore and I no longer commute to work.

I can but I don't. I've had two in my life and regretted both. Maybe I'd tolerate it better in a different area, but it sucks to drive a stick around here and autos work better for the way I drive. I'd definitely take one if someone was offering one of my dream vehicles with a stick but I wouldn't chose one of I was buying.

06 Dodge 2500 w/ G56 6 speed, upgraded clutch. Still loving it, but agree that an auto would be nicer when towing in heavy traffic, especially with the heavy clutch.

Try renting a car with an automatic in Scotland, couldn’t find one myself. Thank God that the clutch and fuel pedals are in the same location as this side of the pond.

After 20 years in an automatic, I went back to my roots in 2020 with a 6 speed manual. This, more than anything, brings back good memories from my youth...

My wife daily’s a Jeep Wrangler 6spd and when I’m home I drive it some, before that she had a 2014 gt with a 6spd she loves em. The salesman we bought the jeep from couldn’t drive a manual which I found odd you would think to sell cars you would almost need to be able to drive either.

77 ford f150 on occasion.... to cut firewood and haul shit to the dump. Had to put new tires on and starter and replace a couple cables this year. Almost 200k miles and on her second engine (300ci/6 cylinder) Probably need to put a new carb on too...

My 88 YJ w a 4 speed, just a weekend toy!
57723930-47D7-4211-B410-0AF1A4104191.jpeg
25A2E2E6-9CE6-4741-9103-AF4315A860A0.jpeg
84130228-138C-4D5E-9C7C-DC2E4DAFE2F2.jpeg

Reactions: LuvDog
If your daily commute is through heavy stop and start traffic in the cities and suburbs, your old bones will appreciate not having to do all the clutch work.

Decades ago when I learned to drive, lots of cars were manual transmission and automatic transmissions were a cost upgrade.
Today usually the only manual transmission ones are the higher end sports / performance models.

The ever increasing fleet fuel economy and emissions regulations are slowly making it impossible to have much production allocated to manual transmission vehicles and so they tend to get pushed to the high priced performance tier.

If you do commute through heavy traffic on a regular basis, the hybrid, plug in hybrid and all Electric vehicles, are a very nice option because they are so much nicer for that kind of work. Once you get used to mostly single pedal driving, it really helps cut down the stress of stop / start and heavy traffic.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
My daily driver is a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited with a 6 speed, had to special order it to get it that way.

Fun car is a 2004 GTO with a 6 speed with an upgraded LS7 clutch & Flywheel...and a bunch of other stuff (the reason for the upgraded clutch and flywheel).

I have 3 other vehicles, but they are all autos. Wife certainly can drive a manual competently, but chooses not to.
My full size trucks are automatics.

I have only owned a few automatics, basically all my full size pickups have been automatics. Everything else, I have always preferred manual transmissions. Sadly, based on what is available new nowadays, I'm in the minority.

My 89 YJ is a five speed.
The wife's 70 VW Beetle Convertible is a 4 speed.

Reactions: BCX
My last few vehicles have been manuals

04 Ram 2500 gasser
04 BMW X3
02 Ford Focus

I've had more manuals than not in my life.

Next vehicle is likely to be another manual

M

My 88 YJ w a 4 speed, just a weekend toy!
Spending lunch surfing here and pricing clutch parts for my ‘88. Slave is leaking. Doing internal to external conversion at the same time.

I enjoy the manual transmission, but I’m glad it’s not my only ride. Way too much traffic and way too many stop signs here.

Currently no manual rigs in my stable. My XJ is my fishing, hunting, scouting rig. The last stick I had was an 86 F250 300-6 with 4 sp granny gear 4X4. My firewood truck that I wish I still had.

Attachments

• snow wheeling2.jpg
    snow wheeling2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: BCX
We had a lot of 10 spd Macks and Freightliners at work, but they are getting replaced by automatics. I hate to admit it, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the automatic, especially if there is a big wreck on the highway or something.

I learned to drive manual in my sleep. Seriously.
As a senior in high school I bought my first car, a manual, three speed on the column, but I couldn’t drive it.
Two nights in a row I had dreams where I was driving a manual. (not my “new“ car, but a ‘77 F250 my dad had.) On the third day I woke up early, went out and just drove my car, pretty much like I’d been doing it for years.
I grew up riding in trucks of all sizes. I guess it was sinking in without me realizing.

Reactions: rhsc
I learned to drive stick from my brother when I got my driver's license. He taught me an hour before heading on to bumper to bumper traffic down the 605 FWY to San Diego lol. Luckily that was forty years ago. Yeah I'm an old fart. Some floating cartilage in the left knee from my wrestling days makes autos more desirable lol.

Grew up with standards and have owned several. I traded in my 05 F350 (man trans) in 2016 on a new one with an auto as Ford dropped the manual option in 2011. I can't tell you how many times I tried to stuff the brake pedal through the floorboard lol. Periodically I'd still find myself rolling to a stop reaching for the stick. Should have kept the 05.

Once you get used to mostly single pedal driving, it really helps cut down the stress of stop / start and heavy traffic.
Once I moved out of the lib stronghold city, I no longer had any stress of heavy traffic. Even double clutching the big truck is no issue in the sticks, and the little guy Exploder 5sp is a piece of cake. Shit, it’s even still on the original clutch at 155k miles.

Learned on a manual and have had many throughout the years. Current daily is an auto, but the fox body is a 5 speed and I have a new 6MT Camaro ordered. I’ll keep buying them as long as they make them.

Honda HR-V. Needed a manual to make it easy to tow behind the RV.
Tried to teach the kids how to drive it.
Zero chance I will ever hear "Dad, can I borrow your car?"

Is there another way?

Edit: 3 manuals, 1 DCT and one slushbox in the fleet right now. Company truck is of course two pedals as well.

Second edit, my old rusty trusty and a new to me behind a barn find that's gonna destroy me financially:
View attachment 7930062View attachment 7930063
Realize I'm a bit late to say this....
DON'T do it.
I've worked on hundreds of those POS 944s, 928s and 924s.
Unless you are EXTREMELY competent setting up the dual timing belt with all the idlers, oil pump, cam, water pump, etc.....RUN AWAY FAST.
I have never seen a worse setup than a 944.....ever.
Don't even get me started on the driveshaft donuts or the clutch setup with the front engine rear transaxle dealio.

Realize I'm a bit late to say this....
DON'T do it.
I've worked on hundreds of those POS 944s, 928s and 924s.
Unless you are EXTREMELY competent setting up the dual timing belt with all the idlers, oil pump, cam, water pump, etc.....RUN AWAY FAST.
I have never seen a worse setup than a 944.....ever.
Don't even get me started on the driveshaft donuts or the clutch setup with the front engine rear transaxle dealio.
giphy (4).gif

It's certainly got some unusual design features, but so far it doesn't seem considerably worse to work on than all the imports of my youth. Beats the hell out of any modern vehicles I've had to wrench on too.

Last edited:
My 2012 ZL1 has a six-speed manual, and my 1996 Impala SS also had one before that project went off in a different direction.

We also have a proper H-gate manual in our ProGator:

PXL_20220809_183048111.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: gigamortis and BCX
Is there another way?

View attachment 7930062View attachment 7930063
I had a 944. Then it became a 944. :). Weak point on that car for me, in bad traffic was the clutch.

Actually, I'll never have another MT. Traffic is just too awful. Was caught in the middle of a massive 15-20 mile long jam the other day in the middle of nowhere interstate because some dumb-F ran into a bridge (on the inside portion on a slight curve). Every time I feel my clutch going the way of the dodo. Even with 15K miles on my new one (VW) it's still starting to have weak disk springs (not the pressure plate).

I'd just assume have a true PDK (dual clutch to those not versed in Porsche-speak) and be done with it.

For track driving...nothing beats the bliss from a perfect heal-toe downshift from 120mph to 40ish at the Sebring hairpin/safetypin.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I had a 944. Then it became a 944. :). Weak point on that car for me, in bad traffic was the clutch.

Actually, I'll never have another MT. Traffic is just too awful. Was caught in the middle of a massive 15-20 mile long jam the other day in the middle of nowhere interstate because some dumb-F ran into a bridge (on the inside portion on a slight curve). Every time I feel my clutch going the way of the dodo. Even with 15K miles on my new one (VW) it's still starting to have weak disk springs (not the pressure plate).

I'd just assume have a true PDK (dual clutch to those not versed in Porsche-speak) and be done with it.

For track driving...nothing beats the bliss from a perfect heal-toe downshift from 120mph to 40ish at the Sebring hairpin/safetypin.
I guess whenever I'm stuck in stop and go traffic jams I'm so mad about the traffic that it never occured to me that the third pedal was also an inconvenience. The Jetta TDI in the background has close to 300k on it with plenty of stop and go, original clutch too.

My Mk6 GTI has a dual clutch, and it is no doubt faster and more efficient than a three pedal, and the DSG farts sound cool, and it makes mid corner shifts at the traction limit a possibility, it just lacks the soul and sense of engagement and involvement a manual has.

bmw 330i zhp, 6-speed, really fun-driving car. periodically in bumper to bumper traffic sucks though. a couple of street and dirt bikes also.

3B328949-ECA4-42AC-A8B0-19A3D6C423C0.jpeg

Daily driver. I drive 45 minutes in DFW traffic. With a manual you actually have to drive. What gear am I in? If I need to go and go now to get out of a bad situation can I do it? If I’m in6th at 1500 rpm that ain’t gonna work etc. etc. Makes driving fun again. I’m 67 and thought I was over shifting. I wasn’t 😎

View attachment 7930214

Daily driver. I drive 45 minutes in DFW traffic. With a manual you actually have to drive. What gear am I in? If I need to go and go now to get out of a bad situation can I do it? If I’m in6th at 1500 rpm that ain’t gonna work etc. etc. Makes driving fun again. I’m 67 and thought I was over shifting. I wasn’t 😎

I'm glad you like it, it looks like a lot of fun.
My left knee just doesn't like constant clutch work day in day out in traffic.
The last manual I drove was a Acura 3.2TL sport package sedan, and you could hit the highway speed limit in 2nd gear (out of 6 forward gears).
I drive like an old man now but the automatic I drive will get moving forward impressively fast if you have to floor it.