• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Who to thread a barrel? Differences in machining?

quattrodoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Glenwood Springs, CO
I've searched the forums, and only found a couple recommendations on who to thread a barrel - I figured there would be some more first hand experience w/ people. Also, are there big differences in the lathe's that cut them? Any specific machine to look for etc? Thanks for you help!

Re: Who to thread a barrel? Differences in machining?

As far as I am concerned, anyone competent with a lathe can do it for you. Have them index off the bore and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I am concerned, anyone competent with a lathe can do it for you. Have them index off the bore and go from there.</div></div>

IMHO, I'd be looking at a little more than only that; just because the threads are indexed off the bore does not mean that all threads are cut the same, or that all 'gunsmiths' who turn a lathe can cut threads to at least Class 2A to prevent slop due to loose tolerances...

Send it to ADCO, beautiful work and have it back in less than two weeks in my experience. Follow instructions on their website, fill out the online order, ship your article with a copy of the order, piece o' cake.

Just an FYI: Many smiths prefer to have the suppressor and the barrel when threading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quattrodoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've searched the forums, and only found a couple recommendations on who to thread a barrel - I figured there would be some more first hand experience w/ people. Also, are there big differences in the lathe's that cut them? Any specific machine to look for etc? Thanks for you help! </div></div>

Before shipping the rifle off for threading check with the manufacturer of the can so you can get the thread specs. Class 2A and 3A are different and are the male threads that will be cut on your barrel. The "B" thread, female, is the same for Class 2 or 3. Typically, the difference is only about .0015" on the "A" thread but is enough to lock the can up if out of spec. When using the can as the thread ring gauge, you’re asking for trouble and will have an out of spec thread on your barrel. If you ever try to thread another can on your barrel you just might lock it up.

I've seen several cans with advertised 5/8x24 Class 2B threads that fit differently on the same barrel. The barrel in question was threaded 5/8x24 Class 2A and checked with a certified thread ring gauge. One can fit snug (Class 3) the other slightly loose (Class 2).

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I am concerned, anyone competent with a lathe can do it for you. Have them index off the bore and go from there.</div></div>

IMHO, I'd be looking at a little more than only that; just because the threads are indexed off the bore does not mean that all threads are cut the same, or that all 'gunsmiths' who turn a lathe can cut threads to at least Class 2A to prevent slop due to loose tolerances... </div></div>

I have some experience in machining, so I guess it comes a little more natural to me. In my mind threads are some of the easiest machining operations to do. Maybe I should have phrased it more like "Anyone that should be running a lathe can turn it for you". I guess I have taken it a bit for granted that people who operate a machining center know what they are doing.

Thanks all for the opinions and knowledge - I now have more things to research learning more about threads, etc... Keep it coming - It really helps!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I am concerned, anyone competent with a lathe can do it for you. Have them index off the bore and go from there.</div></div>

IMHO, I'd be looking at a little more than only that; just because the threads are indexed off the bore does not mean that all threads are cut the same, or that all 'gunsmiths' who turn a lathe can cut threads to at least Class 2A to prevent slop due to loose tolerances... </div></div>

I have some experience in machining, so I guess it comes a little more natural to me. In my mind threads are some of the easiest machining operations to do. Maybe I should have phrased it more like "Anyone that should be running a lathe can turn it for you". I guess I have taken it a bit for granted that people who operate a machining center know what they are doing.</div></div>

By no means am I a machinist nor even a machine operator, but I do know not all threads are cut the same; William Roscoe best explained the point I was trying to make, which I learned from personal experience on various barrels (in my case, I found not everyone cut 1/2"-28 tpi threads the same, so now I only send to a select few my barrels intended for suppressor use, and even better if I can include the actual suppressor along with the barrel to be threaded)

RWS Gunsmithing
GA Precision
Tornado Technologies

just to name a few....

When ever I thread a barrel I verify the TIR (total indicator runout) prior to cutting anything during the set up which is important for threading for a can or comp. I've seen a few mistakes on guns where the machinist assumed everything was concentric to the bore prior to starting.

Once the aligment and the ridigity of the set up are confirmed the tool needs to be aligned and verified also.

A good thread will start with the correct major diameter and the proper relief on the back of the thread as well as a good chamfer.

After selecting the proper configuration on the machine for your desired thread, it is always wise to take a few free passes to set your required length and to get a feel of the thread going. I do this every time.

Threading to a matching part (ie can or comp) might be the easy thing to do but I work to both the part and a thread mic or thread wires. This ensures that someone else didn't give you a over or undersized thread on the can to start with which will lead you down a bad path. Unless you have a thread gage to test the mating part you may not know if the thread is good.

The posts above memtioned the class of threads, it is essential that you cut to the proper thread depth and pitch. You can only get there by measuring it correctly.

By all means this is not all the information to thread a barrel but things to consider prior to wacking the chips into the bin.

Hope this helps.

+1 for adco, they just did two of mine and look and thread great. They even refinished the threads to match the barrel color. Nice touch.