• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who uses a tripod for shooting?

QAMR

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
New Zealand
Who uses a tripod, If you do did you buy a camera one and just make a cradle or something to hold the rifle?
I want to make one for varmint shooting and need some ideas

Re: Who uses a tripod for shooting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azizQbsW-M

I use one, and I love it! I'm demoing the new BOG POD Tac-3S.
Seems to work just fine, very light and strong with lots of adjustment. Beats laying on the ground in the wet snow. Engaging targets from 228 to 558 in vid. with AR15 5.56 with Shark suppressor.

I been using the PRS tripods for years, my platoon deployed with the cradles back in '04 and used them for just about everything. Shortly after we got back Danel came out with the light weight tripods which are awesome.

There are tons of threads on this topic, including many with pics, and details on people's "store-bought" and homemade setups, along with "How To" guides on building one.

Personally, I will throw in another vote for Danel Jenkins'/PRS tripods as I have had several years of service from mine (I am running a small and a medium with the larger cradles). They are very reasonably priced units and the quality/service from Danel is second-to-none! The only issue I can anticipate is shipping and handling charges for one to you all the way to New Zealand which might get expensive. Depending on how much that cost will be, you may be better served looking into options that are available locally in terms of tripods and then building a cradle to thread on to your tripod.

Aside from my PRS tripods, I have a couple different Bogen/Manfrotto tripods, but primarily use a 055XPROB unit as a dedicated spotting scope tripod. I have used it as a shooting tripod in the past (along with one of Danel's cradles) and it works very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally use a small and medium tripod from PRS Precision Rifle Solution Platypus is a member on here and can give you good info on what works and what does not.

</div></div> I agree, nice guy and good product. I only use it for range work, generally when dialing in new gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally use a small and medium tripod from PRS Precision Rifle Solution Platypus is a member on here and can give you good info on what works and what does not.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2109122

</div></div>

Me too and they are great. I also use them for my children deer and turkey hunting. They provide a solid rest that is almost infinitely adjustable for height and angle. I use the medium the most and in place of the small I generally am running a bipod.

A friend of mine made one out of a transit tripod.Just cut a piece of wood out like an old school desk.Get a piece of metal put on the bottom and tap it out to the same as what the transit is and mount the wood top to it.Doesn`t matter how unlevel it is the legs will adjust and you can stand on the legs to put the sharp feet in the ground.If you are shooting on concrete you have to put a rug out so the feet can get a bite.And you can take your top back off and use your transit.Very light and mobile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeepwilson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine made one out of a transit tripod.Just cut a piece of wood out like an old school desk.Get a piece of metal put on the bottom and tap it out to the same as what the transit is and mount the wood top to it.Doesn`t matter how unlevel it is the legs will adjust and you can stand on the legs to put the sharp feet in the ground.If you are shooting on concrete you have to put a rug out so the feet can get a bite.And you can take your top back off and use your transit.Very light and mobile. </div></div> I use my transit as a spotting scope. Works well. Good optics that can focus a ways out there. And no tripod even comes close to it in the wind. Even when your standing all the way up it is firm

A question for you guys running the PRS mediums, is there enough height to use in combination with a small tripod chair?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A question for you guys running the PRS mediums, is there enough height to use in combination with a small tripod chair? </div></div>

I have not tried it with mine, but if I had to guess, I would say: probably, at the MAX height of the tripod.

The medium extends to around 43" or so in total height, plus whatever the height of the attachment (cradle, spotting scope, etc.). The seat height on my folding tripod chair is around 20" which would be roughly 2' lower than the max tripod height. YMMV!

I'm not sure if this is what you are meaning for using a tripod for shooting. Some rifle guys like to have a light unit with a cradle to have the gun sit in, some like a larger platform type to set their gun on. For my particular needs this has worked very well for me and if I angle it the rifle guys can use it also. It's not easily packed around during a match but is nice for practice or if you can drive to your shooting location.

I found this tripod on ebay for $15.00 but had to make a long drive to go get it but it's as sturdy as any shooting bench I've shot on. The top is made of 1" aluminium that has been machined out on the bottom to make it lighter, only gave $5.00 for it at a local scrap yard. It's really not that heavy but just bulky.

tripodpicture.jpg

I also made a smaller lighter unit from a smaller but sturdy tubular camera tripod and thin piece of aluminium for the platform but would be easy to make a small cradle for a rifle on top of it instead. The tubular camera tripods seem to be a bit stronger for their size, the lightweight ones you usually find at the discount stores will usually be very flimsy when extended to any length and be a waste of money. Same pretty much goes for a cheap tripod for a spotting scope, buy the best you can afford.

If you shop the wanted ads, garage/yard sales or ebay and use some imagination you can come up with some pretty slick stuff that don't cost an arm and a leg although the snobs might snicker when they see it. My buddy has played with the sticks and if you find the right position and combination of elevation and seating they can be very steady for field use. If you find something that works for ya who cares what it looks like?

Topstrap

+1 on the PRS heads. They work really well. I have the short panhead and you can't really beat the price for what you're getting.

PRS seems to be the one to, unfortunately it would be too expensive to buy and ship to NZ, I think im gonna have a crack at making my own.