• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who uses Moly?

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
Just curious how many of you guys use moly coated bullets.

For a rifle that is going to see a large amount of shooting before cleaning, moly would be a good idea.

Cheers

Re: Who uses Moly?

Moly vs non moly is like;
Ford vs Chevy
Republican vs democrat
table saw vs radial arm saw
mow the lawn first vs wash the car first
propane barbecue vs charcoal barbecue
outboard motor vs inboard motor
milli radians vs minute of angle

I am using DANZAC on my 20's. It seems to adhere to the bullets better than the MOLY I was using and leaves less residue in the bore. The bore also starts shooting quicker after a cleaning compared with the MOLY.
G

I use moly.

On my Krieger barreled space gun I used to go 200 rounds between cleanings. I am not sure it needed cleaning then...

On my Remington 700 308 I can shoot the tightest groups after cleaning with one fouler.

I use the Kroil/JB Paste cleaning method.

I would never go back non moly.

PS: I saw a few posts about people wanting to "get the moly out of the barrel" during the cleaning process. God, I hope I never get the moly out of my barrel...

I use moly and I don't plan on switching to anything else anytime soon....

What sort of cleaning products/procedures do you folks that use moly bullets use/do? Asking cause I'm about to have a brand new barrel in .243 that I plan on using moly bullets exclusively in and I've never used moly.

Thanks

I use Boron Nitride, its a better lube and does not have any of the negatives that Moly or Danzac have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sort of cleaning products/procedures do you folks that use moly bullets use/do? Asking cause I'm about to have a brand new barrel in .243 that I plan on using moly bullets exclusively in and I've never used moly.

Thanks </div></div>

If your going to use moly bullets then make sure you moly your barrel before shooting it. Personally, I use Sentry Solutions moly bore prep. It gives a good coat and dries really fast. To moly the bore I start at the muzzle end (with muzzle bore guide) and run a saturated patch up to where my lands begin. I stop at my lands then pull the patch out and let the bore dry. I repeat this process 6-7 times to make sure I get the bore coated really well.

As for cleaning, it is not really necessary if the bore and bullets are preped correctly. Several of my rilfes have well over 1,000 rounds through them without ever being cleaned. Accuracy in these rifles is still the same as when I first began shooting them. I do have a bore scope and looking in the bore of any of my rifles there are no visible traces of copper. The only thing I do when I'm done shooting is run 1 patch of WD40 down the barrel. I do this to all my barrels, stainless or not.

I hope you find this info helpful and good luck!

i brake steel targets with moly........

have a reason to do any sort of coated bullets.....

when doing moly.......copper is there in the barrel....

remember copper,moly and boron is all nothing more than a lubricant

I shoot 17HMR to 2600 fps without moly.
I shoot 223 to 3600 fps with moly.

Those are the speed limits.
I can get the 223 to do 4200 fps, but it is not going to shoot 100 rounds per hour all day with great accuracy and no cleaning.

What does it all mean?
Even with moly, there is a speed limit.

I have a few questions for you's guys, When you converted to Moly how much did you have to bump up your powder load over naked bullets? I have been shooting 175 SMK, Win brass, 45.0 Varget, 2.875 COAL to about 2660 FPS with promissing results. I finally received my lapua brass and Moly 175 SMK and I am ready to convert. I have read that the Lapua's smaller case capacity requires about .3-.4 grains less powder for the same pressure levels (velocity) which should put me at about 44.7 grains of varget. I have also read that I should expect to lose 50-70 FPS when using Moly bullets. If I average out my velocity per grain of powder this is about 1.0 grain (59.11 FPS). So I am thinking my new "load" should be somewhere around 45.7 grains of varget with the Lapua brass and 175 Moly SMK. I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with similiar loads or any suggestions. Thanks for the help,

Shane

Per Quickload calculations, at the 308 level, moly vs non moly is 2,500 psi difference which is about 0.5 gr change in powder.

Shaneous69:

If you keep all components and settings the exact same when switching over to moly then my experience says anywhere from .5 to 1.5 grains over is needed. To find out how much more is needed you should have a good chronograph. Chrono's are really the only accurate way to tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Boron Nitride, its a better lube and does not have any of the negatives that Moly or Danzac have. </div></div>

What negative effects? I have literally tens of thousands of rounds downrange with moly bullets.

The only negative effect I have seen is that my barrels get so slick that the patch goes through too fast..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Boron Nitride, its a better lube and does not have any of the negatives that Moly or Danzac have. </div></div>

What exactly are the negatives to moly?
1500 rounds of 6XC and I see no negatives.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAM40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Boron Nitride, its a better lube and does not have any of the negatives that Moly or Danzac have. </div></div>

1500 rounds of 6XC and I see no negatives..... </div></div>

The only negative that moly has in my book is that it can be messy
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAM40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Boron Nitride, its a better lube and does not have any of the negatives that Moly or Danzac have. </div></div>

1500 rounds of 6XC and I see no negatives..... </div></div>
Look at this thread for some extra info.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post972162

Moly'd bore and bullets on the 8mmRM and cleaning is really more like dusting. Have to say accuracy improved a bit as well. I have a polygonal Schneider barrel waiting in the wings... waiting for the original sporter barrel to loosen up. I think it's going to be a bit.

I only shoot moly in my .308's. I just run a dry patch down the barrel when I'm done shooting until it comes out clean. I've never really shot any non molyed bullets so I can't speak for the difference.