• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing who uses Shooting Sticks?

Re: who uses Shooting Sticks?

IME the African style tripod is far better if in high grass. OR I use one of my Komperdel walking sticks if sitting as you can shove your wrist through the strap and rest it against your leg while holding the forend. If you can shoot prone, a bipod is far superior. Shooting sticks are one more thing to carry (and lose) that has no useful secondary purpose like the Komperdels. Everyone I know who hikes or hunts carries Komperdels (or a clone). They have saved my ass more time than I can count, make climbing up hills much easier and save my 67 year old knees on downhills. I go places could not without them. Best $60 bucks I ever spent!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,98978_Komperdell-Trekking-Poles-Standard-Pair.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What make do you like?

thanks, Keith </div></div>

there are many types and applications.. what are you gonna use them for ?

I personally like the Stoney Point tripod and steady stix. I pack both while guiding hunters. many a critter has fallen with the aid of both of these...

Both have there place, both have advantages and disadvantages. If you don't have or use a bipod or the terrain won't let you use one. Either of these I mentioned will work.

Thanks guys.

I should have included more info. These will be used mainly for coyote hunting here in GA.

I own (and use) a pair of Steady Stix. Last week I was hunting out of a camo'ed folding sports chair set up in a make shift blind. I realized that if they were longer it would have been more comfortable shooting with. It just got me wondering what others use.

I did kill one female yote that a bud called up. 55gr Vmax @ 3100fps did it's job.

Thans for the replies.
Keith

For woodland deerstalking here in the UK, its unusal to see somebody hunting without sticks...Most common type are the head hieght twin sticks, either fixed or telescopic..

Personally, I use twin telescopic sticks similar to those below as I feel they are a good compromise between easy of use/portability and steadiness..I have shot off tripods and quad sticks and while they are have merit, I feel for the single handed hunter they can be just too much hassle to carry and use..

sm316902.jpg

But beware...If you use tall sticks properly and to their full advantage, they will completey alter your hunting style. Firstly, the rifle is carried slung 90% of the time...secondly, use the sticks to steady your bino's and let your optics hunt for you...Your aim is not to take hasty shots at fleeing animals, but to spot the game (or spot bits of game say maybe an ear or tail) before its aware of you, enabling you to take a controled shot at a stationary target..

This of course is a form of still-hunting and is best suited to reasonably thick woodland, but once you start using sticks, you will feel naked hunting without them..

Regards,

Peter

i like the wooden dowel rods from lowes or home depot about chest high held together with a bungee cord so i can adjust the height. Used them over at the School House, and in country a few times.

i tried the sticks, and they are better than nothing, however i'm still a slave to harris pivot bipods for all my stuff. from a chair in the blind have the really long ones and from a prone hide i use the 9"-13" for yotes, turkeys, woodchucks, etc.

when stalking on anything i leave the longer one on (in case i have to shoot quickly while kneeling, sitting, etc. especially in snow) and then replace it with the shorter one at the prone blind. plus i like the fact i can put down the legs and have the rifle propped up and at the ready. i think the good ol' bipod is steadier to shoot off, easier and quicker to deploy than sticks, and more practical for a follow up shot IF NEEDED.

my 2 cents

TP,

Horses for courses alot of the time and its nice to be able to have a choice..

I tried the long legged Harris but found that they simply unbalanced the rifle a lot, especially if the rifle already has a moderator on it..

I still use the standard prone postion Harris in certain situations, but find that for shots from the sitting postion, cross sticks are plenty accurate enough out to 150m or so which covers 95% of my needs...And with the tall telescopic sticks, you have the ability to take rested standing shots as well..

Regards,

Peter

+1 i use the predater sniper styx, they are sweet, and they have a squeeker to stop the varmint where you want it, i also use them for big game hunting. they use regular arros tips so u can use blunts for paved or hard packed ground and use the points for loose soil/