• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who was it that said?

FS1

Unbalanced
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2014
    Earth
    The books they tell you not to read, read those first. I Can't find the quote on the net.

The modern version would be "the videos and tweets they tell you not to watch and read, watch and read those first. :)

Sounds like this: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/banned-books

“Censorship and the suppression of reading materials are rarely about family values and almost always about controlabout who is
    snapping the whip, who is saying no, and who is saying go. Censorship's bottom line is this: if the novel Christine offends me, I don't want just to make sure it's kept from my kid; I want to make sure it's kept from your kid, as well, and all the kids. This bit of intellectual arrogance, undemocratic and as old as time, is best expressed this way: "If it's bad for me and my family, it's bad for everyone's family."

Yet when books are run out of school classrooms and even out of school libraries as a result of this idea, I'm never much disturbed not as a citizen, not as a writer, not even as a schoolteacher . . . which I used to be. What I tell kids is, Don't get mad, get even. Don't spend time waving signs or carrying petitions around the neighborhood. Instead, run, don't walk, to the nearest nonschool library or to the local bookstore and get whatever it was that they banned. Read whatever they're trying to keep out of your eyes and your brain, because that's exactly what you need to know.”
    ― Stephen King

More good quotes on censorship here: https://nmsu.libguides.com/c.php?g=206086&p=1359975

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Sounds like this: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/banned-books

“Censorship and the suppression of reading materials are rarely about family values and almost always about controlabout who is
    snapping the whip, who is saying no, and who is saying go. Censorship's bottom line is this: if the novel Christine offends me, I don't want just to make sure it's kept from my kid; I want to make sure it's kept from your kid, as well, and all the kids. This bit of intellectual arrogance, undemocratic and as old as time, is best expressed this way: "If it's bad for me and my family, it's bad for everyone's family."

Yet when books are run out of school classrooms and even out of school libraries as a result of this idea, I'm never much disturbed not as a citizen, not as a writer, not even as a schoolteacher . . . which I used to be. What I tell kids is, Don't get mad, get even. Don't spend time waving signs or carrying petitions around the neighborhood. Instead, run, don't walk, to the nearest nonschool library or to the local bookstore and get whatever it was that they banned. Read whatever they're trying to keep out of your eyes and your brain, because that's exactly what you need to know.”
    ― Stephen King

More good quotes on censorship here: https://nmsu.libguides.com/c.php?g=206086&p=1359975

Stephen King? That surprised me... I had been almost certain thst it would be Ray Bradbury or somebody else on the same level...

Snopes.com

Take the perception they are promoting on a subject, then inverse it.
    likewise, if the SPLC declares something a hate group, it is probably christian or advocating for traditional values.

Reactions: lonegunman762x51
    The books they tell you not to read, read those first. I Can't find the quote on the net.

The modern version would be "the videos and tweets they tell you not to watch and read, watch and read those first. :)

Probably the same guy who said, "Michelle Obama is really a man!"

She will be the first trans-woman to be running for vice president in a few weeks. Once the corona hoax dies out, it will be their next play.

Probably the same guy who said, "Michelle Obama is really a man!"

She will be the first trans-woman to be running for vice president in a few weeks. Once the corona hoax dies out, it will be their next play.
    She don't have man hands. Maybe a Hermaphrodite. :)