• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who will cut a melonite barrel?

biner626

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
Goodlettsville,TN
I know. This is a precision rifle forum. But, ive got an SBR itch that needs scratching. The plan is to buy a 16" 300 AAC Blackout while I wait for the SBR stamp. I know Melonite is hard on tooling, but, who's feeling adventurous and what would it cost?

Re: Who will cut a melonite barrel?

You can't make a working SBR out of an AAC 16 inch barrel anymore than you can take a mid-length gas 5.56mm and make an SBR out of it.

Some 300 blk 16" barrels already come with a pistol length gas system, so make sure you get one of those. I know CMMG has one that Midway sells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some 300 blk 16" barrels already come with a pistol length gas system, so make sure you get one of those. I know CMMG has one that Midway sells. </div></div>
rsilvers: CMMG makes a 16" AAC with pistol gas and "WASP" coating (Melonite). I'm unsure about the gas port size. I know you are in the know about the 300 BLK. What size gas port is recommended? That is why I'm asking.

To directly answer the question, anyone with carbide tooling can cut/crown a melonited barrel.

Chambering is the process that you essentially can't be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cutting and chambering your barrel is easy peesy. </div></div>

Chambering a melonited barrel is easy peasy?

All I would need is cut, thread and crown on the intended barrel. Maybe the gas port enlarged.

I would get a 16" barrel and when your stamp shows get another barrel. Otherwise your going to be fighting it. Gas port and length of barrel is very important for the blackouts. As in a 14" barrel and carbine length doesn't like to run. If you get a pistol length 16" it will work, but most likely you will need a different gas hole size when you cut it down.

Thanks Glen,
After some thought I had already reached that conclusion. Why spend that money on a cheap barrel when I could buy one already optimized for the cartridge.

I have had two melonited 16" barrels with mid-length gas systems cut down to 13-3/8". They are just enough barrel to clear the rail, allow the 51t brakes to be installed, and SDN6 suppressor to be mounted with minimal clearance to the rail. They both work just fine and do not have any issues.

The person who has cut all three of my melonited AR15 barrels is Class 3 Designs in Mustang, OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have 7 twist 5R blanks in. We will have complete ar barrels to sell shortly. 223 and blackout. </div></div>
Pre order? I'm in!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't make a working SBR out of an AAC 16 inch barrel anymore than you can take a mid-length gas 5.56mm and make an SBR out of it. </div></div>

Really now Robert? I've seen both of these barrels vdub mentions perform flawlessly as SBR barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vdub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had two melonited 16" barrels with mid-length gas systems cut down to 13-3/8". They are just enough barrel to clear the rail, allow the 51t brakes to be installed, and SDN6 suppressor to be mounted with minimal clearance to the rail. They both work just fine and do not have any issues.

The person who has cut all three of my melonited AR15 barrels is Class 3 Designs in Mustang, OK. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have 7 twist 5R blanks in. We will have complete ar barrels to sell shortly. 223 and blackout. </div></div>
Pre order? I'm in!</div></div>

I will announce when they hit the floor. We have a bunch to send to dealers.

New website launches next week with lots of goodies
smile.gif