• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who would you have built a quality rifle?

sleev-les

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2020
Edgewater, MD
Hey guys,

I recently started toying with the idea of having a 300PRC built. I talked to a rifle builder that is ball parking $7000 for a build on something like an AI chassis. Really I'm just trying to reality check myself and see if that is a reasonable price for a custom build or if anyone has had something done and thinks that price is way too high (or even not high enough for great quality). The last rifle I had custom work done was a Remington 700 338LM that I replaced everything except the action and bolt. That rifle with chassis was probably around $4k (not including optic/bipod) from buying the rifle, chassis and having the builder replace the barrel, brake, recoil lug, bedding chassis, cerakote etc. Any opinions are appreciated or even recommendations for a great builder.

Hey guys,

I recently started toying with the idea of having a 300PRC built. I talked to a rifle builder that is ball parking $7000 for a build on something like an AI chassis. Really I'm just trying to reality check myself and see if that is a reasonable price for a custom build or if anyone has had something done and thinks that price is way too high (or even not high enough for great quality). The last rifle I had custom work done was a Remington 700 338LM that I replaced everything except the action and bolt. That rifle with chassis was probably around $4k (not including optic/bipod) from buying the rifle, chassis and having the builder replace the barrel, brake, recoil lug, bedding chassis, cerakote etc. Any opinions are appreciated or even recommendations for a great builder.
If you have some basic tools you can put one together yourself if you have any mechanical ability at all. You can come out wayyyyy cheaper than 7k for a very nice Rifle spec’d out just how you want it.

Hey guys,

Depends on the builder and components.

$7k isn’t outside the realm of possibility depending.

Also depends on what the end goal is and such. Are you buying a one off rifle, or a “system.”

For example our soon to be shipping rifle system is in the ~$7k area but has some unique characteristics as well as being a system you can build upon in the future with different bolts and such.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions in general. I won’t attempt to sell you on our rifle as it sells itself if that’s your purpose. I’ll help with anything I can.

Just add up the parts that you are wanting, you will see what he is going to charge for the work. There are some really good gun plumbers on here that can build you a straight up hammer, call them and get a quote on what you are wanting.

If you have some basic tools you can put one together yourself if you have any mechanical ability at all. You can come out wayyyyy cheaper than 7k for a very nice Rifle spec’d out just how you want it.
Definitely another option. I build most of my AR platform rifles already.

Also, worth pointing out. Many take a overly simplistic approach of just adding parts and then assuming the delta is just a single up charge.

Keep in mind, if you have someone build a rifle for you, and you don’t supply the parts, they had to tie up their own funds either ordering or keeping something on inventory. If they do anything in any amount of volume, they likely had to buy a minimum amount of parts. Thus making it an even larger investment. So there’s usually some small amount of upcharge built in for the “risk” they have when putting up money.

That’s just one of many things.

Also, keep in mind, sometimes parts are plug and play and sometimes they are not.

A constant complaint on the internet is “I paid xyz amount for this and it should work.” When what they did was buy *parts*. A barreled action is nothing but a part. Chassis is also just a part. A 700 clone chassis is a generalized shape that can fit most fairly well. Sometimes fits really well, sometimes doesn’t. It’s not based in reality to expect it to “just work.”

So, if you have the ability and want to, you can buy parts and assemble. But know you *might* have to do some work. Especially feeding. And definitely if you decide to run stuff like AW mags.

You wouldn’t go to an auto parts store, buy a part, and with not vehicle mechanic ability, just expect it to work because you paid for a part. Rifles are no different.

If you have $7k (just for the gun) and want an AI chassis then I suggest getting an actual AI.

AXMC to be exact

Here’s my AXMC 300 PRC. Bought the gun and barrel from px here on the hide.

If AXMC isn’t your flavor I second everything posted above as well. You can put together a great 300 PRC with decent glass for $7k

830EC4BF-15F9-42E4-8F06-FEC1A5A2F223.png

I don't think it's been exclusively said, but for us to correctly opine on price it helps drastically to know what is included with the price.

A top-tier action will cost $1200 to $1800 give or take. Another $400 or so for a SS barrel. Stock/Chassis, depending on options, can be as little as $350 for a KRG Bravo or easily top $2K for a custom-painted high-$$ chassis system with all the trimmings. Is scope, scope mount, and/or bipod included? How about a can or a case? Sling? What trigger is being used?

If you go the full monty; BAT TR, Proof barrel, AICS chassis, MDT Ckye Pod Gen 2, Tangent Theta 5-25, TriggerTech Diamond, Spuhr mount, Pelican case, and a good can ... well you're at over $12K in parts not counting tax or shipping and no one has touched anything yet.

On the other end of the spectrum, you stick a used Remington 700 barreled-action into a KRG Bravo, add a $200 scope, some free rings, and a cheap Chinese bipod ... and you're in business for $500 if you value the used rifle at $250.

Reactions: 308pirate
I had my rifle built by Altus, and it has been amazing. The turnaround was less than 3 months and they supplied all the parts. It was just barley over 3k for a black nitride Impact action, Bartlein barrel, Triggertech and a KRG Bravo. Plus they supply a quality magazine.

You can use their rifle builder and they will email you a quote and turnaround estimate. They made it so easy, and I feel the work is priced fairly, so I’ll be a repeat customer.

Reactions: 308pirate
Hey guys,

How custom is custom?

Depending on what you want done $7K might not be out of line.

you can get the Terminus Zeus long action with their quick lock system then order the prefit barrel from PVA,LRI…

You can drop into the new AICS chassis then you got yourself a switch barrel system for approx 4500ish.

Thanks everyone that has been responding. I don't have a full plan on what I'm going for yet, but overall was curious if a quality rifle, consistent at 2k yards is reasonable when hearing that initial price. Sounds like it is when looking for a built or even off the shelf quality. I just haven't begun heavily looking at it, but this thread gave me some ideas including the Hoplite option.

If you buy a system rifle, buy from a company that manufactures most of their own components in house, and not from a small biz that just assembles parts made by others. Ask how long they've been in the firearms manufacturing business, and how long their rifles have been proven on the Mil and LE markets in actual field use- AI, Barrett, Sako, McMillan, Terry Cross/KMW, are vetted.

If you want a true custom where you pick the parts down to the last detail, find a top rifle builder who actually offers that option and have him guide you through to avoid parts that don't play well together with your project. Many of the top rifle builders only offer their builds and limited options, so be sure to research thoroughly.

Avoid anyone who is too controlling, arrogant, or unproven in the industry.

Last edited:
$7K is on the high end, it really depends on what is being spec'ed and the reputation of the builder.

If I were you, I would do a LOT of research before spending $7K on a "custom" rifle. Ensure that you go with a very reputable builder that is worthy of giving that $7K to. I personally would expect a very high quality of rifle and features for $7K.

For $7K or less, then Hoplite Arms, Accuracy International and TacOps are places I would be looking to spend that kind of money. Not just any gunsmith and rifle is worthy of $7K, so it would behoove you to do your research.

If you give us more details on the build, we can give a better judgement on how well spent that ~$7K is. We can also help spec out a build for you, for any budget, given more objects and desires for what you want to accomplish.

I'll be honest at 7k it better come with foot massage and heated seats. Its definitely top end of the cost spectrum and should have A+ everything.

I was doing some window shopping and a local (well known) dealer had 300 PRCs in the 4k-5k range for full custom and their 'budget' custom was more like $2500.

I had my rifle built by Altus, and it has been amazing. The turnaround was less than 3 months and they supplied all the parts. It was just barley over 3k for a black nitride Impact action, Bartlein barrel, Triggertech and a KRG Bravo. Plus they supply a quality magazine.

You can use their rifle builder and they will email you a quote and turnaround estimate. They made it so easy, and I feel the work is priced fairly, so I’ll be a repeat customer.
I recently bought a Defiance Deviant SA and Trigger Tech from them and just sent them down a Bartlein barrel.

BA will come back to me to screw into a chassis (I have a JAE I want to use).

Way less than $7k incl the chassis:

Action (black nitride) and trigger = $1,725
Bartlein 400MODBB blank = $635
JAE Chassis (est as I have had it for a while) = $1,400

That's $3,760 for absolute top drawer components less the gunsmithing.

I figure to spin and mount the barrel, install and set up trigger, cerakote the barrel, etc can't be more than $1,000 and should be a good bit less.

Reactions: Zane1844
Check GAP ready-to-ship rifles, they sometimes have really nice sticks read to go;
LRI is always excellent, and offering stock blanks for one-off customs in the commercial px, and LRI moves quickly;
Altus, SPR-Bugholes, MileHigh for actions with pre-fits if you want the trigger installed, timed items, etc., only speaking from experience, I know there many many more out there...
For me, it's only prefits from now on, unless I want real custom, then it's LRI.

Reactions: DJL2
There are several Hide associated gunsmiths that will build you an excellent rifle for less than that, again, if this is a complete system with a high quality scope, the price isn't unusual.

I recently bought a Defiance Deviant SA and Trigger Tech from them and just sent them down a Bartlein barrel.

BA will come back to me to screw into a chassis (I have a JAE I want to use).

Way less than $7k incl the chassis:

Action (black nitride) and trigger = $1,725
Bartlein 400MODBB blank = $635
JAE Chassis (est as I have had it for a while) = $1,400

That's $3,760 for absolute top drawer components less the gunsmithing.

I figure to spin and mount the barrel, install and set up trigger, cerakote the barrel, etc can't be more than $1,000 and should be a good bit less.
I added up the components I used from their site, and subtracted what I paid, it was like $900. That includes machining, cerakote, installation, etc. Every gun you buy comes with magazines..but if you throw that in all the work was within $800. Plus their quick turnaround, I feel like they’re a good deal.

Reactions: Baron23
I added up the components I used from their site, and subtracted what I paid, it was like $900. That includes machining, cerakote, installation, etc. Every gun you buy comes with magazines..but if you throw that in all the work was within $800. Plus their quick turnaround, I feel like they’re a good deal.
And they came very highly recommended. Even @Terry Cross gave them a hearty thumbs up and I have nothing but enormous respect for that gentleman.

And, your $800 was for install into a chassis, right? So, no inletting, bottom metal install, no bedding, that kind of thing.

And finally, I'm guessing you are very happy with their work? Gun shoots great?

Any pics :cool:

Reactions: Zane1844
And they came very highly recommended. Even @Terry Cross gave them a hearty thumbs up and I have nothing but enormous respect for that gentleman.

And, your $800 was for install into a chassis, right? So, no inletting, bottom metal install, no bedding, that kind of thing.

And finally, I'm guessing you are very happy with their work? Gun shoots great?

Any pics :cool:
It was installed in a KRG Bravo.

I’m very happy with the rifle. It shoots amazing and I love the action.

Attachments

• 8A8FB558-3053-40E7-9DE5-1404912392B8.jpeg
    8A8FB558-3053-40E7-9DE5-1404912392B8.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1C572DEC-B9CD-4A1D-A08D-FF4313D2768B.jpeg
    1C572DEC-B9CD-4A1D-A08D-FF4313D2768B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • Love
As above, depends how custom you want your custom. No frills with high end parts, you can assemble an origin or similar at home and drop it into the stock of your choosing and come out way cheaper.

I would totally go back to mile high again and again great customer service easy to get a hold of , the are really fast to respond to email not to mention if you have questions they aren't pushy they took the time to make me feel confidant in my purchase .

Reactions: Milf Dots
I’m waiting on Tac Ops at the moment… but, I’m not just buying a rifle there. I’m also buying a chunk of my childhood back (Mike’s been doing it that long), and nostalgia can get pricey. Mostly, I’m buying an iron clad reputation - fact is, I’ve failed to get several guns done right. I’ve spent a lot of money on shit that didn’t shoot, that I wasn’t happy with. I called Mike because I KNEW it would be done right, and confirmed right, before it shipped. If I’d called Mike four years ago, it would have saved me the price of multiple failures, at least.

ETA - one of those failures was $4500 of custom parts and labor. Another was $3500 of custom M70 (new production). Those two, alone, more than cover the cost you’re talking about… and I should have just done that in the first place.

ETA2 - my KRG SOTIC is easily my best value. Got her with the intro pricing, and she just plain shoots. It’s been a great gun to learn on and improve as a shooter because it’s not the weak link. Of the bolt action rifle in my safe, she’s the only one from three years ago that’s still here. That said, the proprietary (TRG pattern) action can be limiting.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the others above. I would either get the AI or Hoplite arms for that kind of money. I love my AXMC because it’s accurate and I use my switch barrel system shooting both 300 win mag and 6.5. Very little impact shift between barrels. The new Hoplite system looks very promising as well. The AI ATX for comp shooting short action is what I would get for comps/positional shooting if that’s your thing. And that still leaves you plenty of room to customize the chassis how you like it. Lots of options with that budget. You can also go with lots of other options with a much smaller budget and still get a quality rifle. Just get exactly what you want otherwise you will be regretting it later. I am totally in the buy one cry once camp

I’m waiting on Tac Ops at the moment… but, I’m not just buying a rifle there. I’m also buying a chunk of my childhood back (Mike’s been doing it that long), and nostalgia can get pricey. Mostly, I’m buying an iron clad reputation - fact is, I’ve failed to get several guns done right. I’ve spent a lot of money on shit that didn’t shoot, that I wasn’t happy with. I called Mike because I KNEW it would be done right, and confirmed right, before it shipped. If I’d called Mike four years ago, it would have saved me the price of multiple failures, at least.

ETA - one of those failures was $4500 of custom parts and labor. Another was $3500 of custom M70 (new production). Those two, alone, more than cover the cost you’re talking about… and I should have just done that in the first place.

ETA2 - my KRG SOTIC is easily my best value. Got her with the intro pricing, and she just plain shoots. It’s been a great gun to learn on and improve as a shooter because it’s not the weak link. Of the bolt action rifle in my safe, she’s the only one from three years ago that’s still here. That said, the proprietary (TRG pattern) action can be limiting.

Regarding your custom build that disappointed, was it the 'smith's work or the interplay between some components that caused the problem? Thnx

Spartan Precision does an amazing job spinning up barrels with a quick turnaround. Thats all you really need a smith for if you use a chassis or pre-inletted stock.

Regarding your custom build that disappointed, was it the 'smith's work or the interplay between some components that caused the problem? Thnx

The M70 was objective ignorance on my part. If I had done my research up front, I would have realized before I started I was never going to get where I wanted to be. The factory barrel was trash, sadly, about 1.5 MOA on average. I decided to start making over the rifle. I can't necessarily fault any of the components individually - smith said the action was true, I lapped the lugs myself, the barrel was from Bartlein, stock was McMillan. That rifle never consistently shot better than about .66 MOA for 5-shots in my hands. It wasn't a target gun, primarily, but at some point I just decided it was time to stop throwing money at the thing. The incredibly limited aftermarket was a contributing factor.

The custom gun I'd put more on the smith - botched bedding job. The rifle double grouped - consistently, but unpredictably. I'd get one relatively tight (.5 MOA ish) group to POA and then somewhere between .75-1.5 MOA down and right (to the 4:30 on a clock face) would be an oblong shaped group. Incredibly frustrating, and on top of that the bedding was breaking out of the stock. I think the action and the stock are worth saving/keeping (it's a father/son gun), so I'm not giving up on this one. I sent the Manners CS-2 with the Elite (CF) shell to Manners to have a mini-chassis installed. I had disassembled the rifle to bed it myself and said "Nope, screw this" and off it went for two months and $550 or so.

Now, I like my KRG SOTIC just fine. No shade. However, considering the cost of the SOTIC plus a Tikka project gun I bailed on in combination with the above... man, oh man. That would have bought and awful lot of rifle and optic 3 years ago had I known the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Reach out to John Beanland. He will get you squared away. Very reasonable on his prices and dose excellent work.

7k?

Hoplite, AI, MRAD if you wanna stink like KrautBoy, or a TacOps (between TacOps and Hoplite for me)

7k will buy you A LOT of rifle and glass from the few top smiths I have used.

Shoot. An Origin and a barrel (spun to fit, not even a prefit is well under 2k. Trigger. Chassis. Done.
Easy to do with a Bravo and be around 2500 as Rob noted.

Or buy the KMW with custom Inletting from LRI included thats for sale for a fundraiser.
Sexy stock. Sexy inletting.
Ladies will swoon.
Still be just a bit over 3k with that option!!
😁

Reactions: kthomas
$7000 is crazy high. You can put one together yourself for around $3000-3500.
This^

With the number of custom actions that can take pre-fit barrels out there, I do not see a reason to get a rifle custom built. In less you are not mechanically inclined, want a truly custom rifle, or need a specialized rifle.

I just built two budget rifles myself on factory Remingtion actions that are under 3/4 MOA @ 100 with factory ammo for less than 4K (308 Win and 300 Win Mag). The next build I will do myself will be high end with a custom ARC Nucleus action in 6.5x 47L for about 3K.

First rate customs start at $2k with what I would call of the shelf customs. Same or very close to same quality, no options such as the BadRock stuff.

For ~$2.7-4k you get into full spec your own everything customs. An example is the Kelbly's build I did a while back. Depending on what parts you pick prices will vary. The cheapest way to do these is generally buying a "barreled action" and putting the stock / chassis and trigger on yourself as the taxes are lower that way. Builders who's stuff I have personally used and been pleased with are Kelbly's, Mesa Precision arms, GA precision, and Tac Ops. A number of others with excellent reputations have already been mentioned here such as Beanland, Terry Cross, Spartan Precision. I would not hesitate to use any of these. Prices vary some from builder to builder but I don't think any are going to land at $7k and several have prices that are frankly competitive with the bubas of the world who have no idea what they are doing.

If you start to get into some specialty stuff like titanium actions or proof carbon barrels such as with an ultralight Mesa Precision hunting build I reviewed a while back you might drive the price into the $5k range. You also might be able to get there with some fancy fluting, picking only the most expensive of everything, or maybe an airbrush stock finish. Really, it takes some esoteric components to get into that range with a fully custom 700 pattern rifle.

$7k is more like what folks pay for very nice AI or maybe some oddball European stuff like an FN ballista. 700 clone top quality custom builds just don't cost that much.

2200$ Ai-700 chassis
1800$ action
350$ barrel
600$ smith work
250$ trigger
200$ cerakote

Under 5500$ and that’s with an action on the expensive side, priced for top benchrest labor rates, and a cerakoted barrel/action

There are many great smiths out there. Alex wheeler built the finest rifle I own. I would also use Dave Tooley, as Alex doesn’t do as much tactical stuff and is swamped in BR builds last I heard.

2200$ Ai-700 chassis
1800$ action
350$ barrel
600$ smith work
250$ trigger
200$ cerakote

Under 5500$ and that’s with an action on the expensive side, priced for top benchrest labor rates, and a cerakoted barrel/action

There are many great smiths out there. Alex wheeler built the finest rifle I own. I would also use Dave Tooley, as Alex doesn’t do as much tactical stuff and is swamped in BR builds last I heard.
What action is costing $1,800?

My Defiance Deviant in .338LM bolt face with DLC treatment and polished raceways was around that price, if I remember correctly.
Ok, I asked because I just bought a Deviant from Altus, nitrided and no polishing that I’m aware of and I think it was right at $1,400.

Reactions: kthomas
Ok, I asked because I just bought a Deviant from Altus, nitrided and no polishing that I’m aware of and I think it was right at $1,400.

Upgrading to a .750 bolt size adds some cost, as does polishing raceways and DLC finish.

Can't recall if there was any other specifications I made that increased the price.

But yes, most actions are around ~$1200-1400. Some cheaper, some more expensive.

2200$ Ai-700 chassis
1800$ action
350$ barrel
600$ smith work
250$ trigger
200$ cerakote

That’s about what I have into the AXMC above. If I’m spending $5500 I’ll spend the tiny bit extra and go legit AI. Everything else aside if you look at resale value you loose almost nothing with the AXMC vs spending $5500 on a custom.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to watch the px here. Great deals on packages like this come up from time to time. Even if you assume you’ll have to rebarrel whatever you buy likely you’ll end up further ahead

The build yourself route isn’t a bad idea by any means but you surely can hit a much lower price point. Which at that point is worth it. The px has many items you’d likely need

Reactions: DangerRanger
What action is costing $1,800?
I went on the high end to buffer my estimate high.

You can spec a defiance up there, you can spec a Borden up there. Bat HR is a great lapua repeater action and can be specked up to that price range. Plenty of people told op how cheap they could build a rifle. I wanted to show that that quote is still high with selecting some of the most expensive part selections and a pricier smith job.

That’s about what I have into the AXMC above. If I’m spending $5500 I’ll spend the tiny bit extra and go legit AI. Everything else aside if you look at resale value you loose almost nothing with the AXMC vs spending $5500 on a custom.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to watch the px here. Great deals on packages like this come up from time to time. Even if you assume you’ll have to rebarrel whatever you buy likely you’ll end up further ahead

The build yourself route isn’t a bad idea by any means but you surely can hit a much lower price point. Which at that point is worth it. The px has many items you’d likely need
Especially considering wanting a AI chassis, just buy an AI

Or, you could do a “poors” build using a Bighorn Origin, with a prefit of your choice, snag a KRG Bravo with a TT trigger, top it with a ZCO, and have enough left for ammo, a suppressor, and maybe a class…

Or, you could do a “poors” build using a Bighorn Origin, with a prefit of your choice, snag a KRG Bravo with a TT trigger, top it with a ZCO, and have enough left for ammo, a suppressor, and maybe a class…

Not a bad option either.

The OP really needs to be more transparent about what he/she wants to accomplish with the rifle, and what the objectives are.

We can spec out a rifle from $1500 to $10,000, if we have no real parameters to work with. There's quite a spectrum to rifles.