• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whole town evacuated in Iceland

papershredder

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 23, 2021
in the land of Indiana
The town of Grindavik (population roughly 3500-5000 residents) on the south coast of the Reykavik Penninsula was evac'd earlier today due to an imminent volcanic eruption. I have a live feed video linked to three cameras posted below if you guys have some time to kill and want to possibly see a real-time eruption. I've been following this for the last three hours. The town is empty now save for a handful of stragglers and EMS personnel. The magmatic intrusion isn't so much of a surprise to geologists as they've been monitoring it for the past few weeks. What is a surprise is it is bigger than initially expected and the recent discovery of a lava tube extending below the town hence the need for the evac order. For the past few hours there has been earthquakes happening at a rate of 100+ per hour. Within the past half hour that rate has tapered off. Which is like a calm before the storm when that happens. When the earthquake frequency calms down, it means magma is close to and getting ready to breach the surface.

I'm posting a couple google earth images below as an aid for the live feed to help give some perspective. Now the live feed shows three cameras and an earthquake map. The earthquake map is on the bottom right. It's updated every couple minutes and there is about a five minute lag between when a quake happens and when the details show on the map. The top two cameras from my best guestimate are near the Blue lagoon area and pointed towards the geothermal plants. The smoke you see in the top right is from the geothermal plant. The bottom left feed is from the greenhouse north of Grindavik (per the comments in the feed) pointed towards town.

Caveat - Now if, when, and where this eruption will take place is anyone's guess. Scientists haven't figured out how to accurately predict eruptions yet. They just know the signs of when one is about to take place. So there is a good chance it won't be caught on one of the few live feed cameras. There is still a small chance that the intrusion will halt itself and no eruption takes place.

1699673186666.png

1699673252797.png

Spent many an hour soaking in the hot springs at the Blue Lagoon (after a $100 cab ride…each way!) on crew rest stops in Reykjavik and Keflavik when I was flying for Uncle Sugar. Hope it doesn’t get messed up; very cool place.

Reactions: jetracer013
Iceland is unlikely to see looting. And they have been living with volcanos for 1000 years.

So while potentially tragic, and a waiting game for those in the village, it’s not going to be some kind of “Let’s get reparations by looting Best Buy” kind of event. They aren’t like that there.

They also have a lot of experience building diversion walls and channeling lava. No EPA studies and hemp addled hippies whining about bulldozing rocks, injuring rare lichens and creating channels for lava! They will just get it done!

They also have a solid social support structure for citizens… so while tragic on one level, it is business as usual.

Guarantee they won’t be sitting around in the dirt whining into CNN cameras and waiting for the UN to dump sacks of millet on their heads. They are working their asses off to minimize the impact and get in it’s being Iceland!

Sirhr

PS I am betting the “tourists” are lining up in London and New York to pile onto Iceland and Instagram themselves with a volcano. If there is any threat to Iceland, it is these dumbasses who will be a threat to themselves and resources (like hotel rooms and emergency services) so they can get good selfies.

Last edited:
Well, Reykjavik has a significant druggie and homeless problem… but no volcano there. But their “problem” is pasty Eurotrash kids who can get there cheap, know there is a good welfare support network and they can score cheap. So not total paradise.

Maybe they can throw them into the volcano, though. Appease the gods or something!

Sirhr

This the same son of a bitch that blowed up in 2011 and fucked my vacation up?

Nope, that was Grimsvotn which is further east. This volcano will be more like a big crack in the ground with lava gushing out than a big explosion launching rocks and ash through the sky.

Earthly menstruation.

My own ancestors’ hometown in Iceland is 50m under a lava field from an 1800s eruption that spurred their emigration to America. That’s real climate change, when your temperature rises by 1500*F and everything gets swallowed by molten rock.

My own ancestors’ hometown in Iceland is 50m under a lava field from an 1800s eruption that spurred their emigration to America. That’s real climate change, when your temperature rises by 1500*F and everything gets swallowed by molten rock.
Were they not driving electric vehicles?

Nope, worse than ICE even. They used oxen and horses. They were schooled on the causes of climate change when they got to America, learned and took it to heart, and pulled a hand cart across America all the way to Utah. Nothing greener than that, right?
Yea, but, cattle farts....methane emissions = global warming.
Your ancestors ruined the planet for all of us.

Shame on them !

Thunturd.jpg

Somebody just got..told!!
The hand cart part is completely true, but the rest of it is when they arrived in Utah they mined coal. This was my Great-Great-Great grandparents, and their kids mined coal, and their kids mined coal, and their kids worked on the railroad that moved coal, and my dad mined coal, and I work on the railroad that moves the coal. We actually know carbon is not the problem the lefties make believe it is.

It's like watching grass grow and paint dry. Earthquakes have decreased in frequency and have gotten much shallower in depth over the past week. Due to the ground splitting open, bursting steam pipes took out a couple powerlines leaving the eastern half of Grindavik without power earlier this week. Crews were in town to fix that while residents were allowed to return to retrieve pets and some belongings. There's also work crews building a lava dam around the power plant. Speaking of the geothermal plant, sulfur dioxide gases have been detected in the bore holes, meaning magma is very close. It's been estimated that magma has reached to within 500m from the surface. The most activity is happening just north of Grindavik and out near the geothermal plant.

Here's a pic of some of the damage in Grindavik:

1700406611806.png

For the latest updates, keep an eye on the live stream chat from the OP and go here and here (both will need translated through google). Earthquake maps here (also needs a google translation) and an interactive 3d map here. Click and hold the left mouse button to rotate image and scroll to zoom on the second map. There's another 3d map out there that is scaled to show actual depths of the quakes, but I can't find it at the moment. There are a couple youtube channels posting live-feed seismograph monitoring data as well.

Don't bother with mainstream news outlets (especially here in the US) for info as they have been at least a day behind, do not give any real details as to what's goin on. You can get better info from the links above and these youtube channels below:

Hlidarmin
Just Icelandic
Geology Hub
Shawn Willsey

Almost every other youtube channel covering this is fearmongering clickbait bullshit, so like mainstream news, don't bother with them either.

It's like watching grass grow and paint dry. Earthquakes have decreased in frequency and have gotten much shallower in depth over the past week. Due to the ground splitting open, bursting steam pipes took out a couple powerlines leaving the eastern half of Grindavik without power earlier this week. Crews were in town to fix that while residents were allowed to return to retrieve pets and some belongings. There's also work crews building a lava dam around the power plant. Speaking of the geothermal plant, sulfur dioxide gases have been detected in the bore holes, meaning magma is very close. It's been estimated that magma has reached to within 500m from the surface. The most activity is happening just north of Grindavik and out near the geothermal plant.

Here's a pic of some of the damage in Grindavik:

View attachment 8275818

For the latest updates, keep an eye on the live stream chat from the OP and go here and here (both will need translated through google). Earthquake maps here (also needs a google translation) and an interactive 3d map here. Click and hold the left mouse button to rotate image and scroll to zoom on the second map. There's another 3d map out there that is scaled to show actual depths of the quakes, but I can't find it at the moment. There are a couple youtube channels posting live-feed seismograph monitoring data as well.

Don't bother with mainstream news outlets (especially here in the US) for info as they have been at least a day behind, do not give any real details as to what's goin on. You can get better info from the links above and these youtube channels below:

Hlidarmin
Just Icelandic
Geology Hub
Shawn Willsey

Almost every other youtube channel covering this is fearmongering clickbait bullshit, so like mainstream news, don't bother with them either.
Is the "Blue Lagoon" in any danger?

I saw it is closed. But it's an iconic Iceland destination. Just wondering if it was closed out of precaution or real threat.

Cheers and thanks for the update! Pulling for everyone there and hopefully things recede or let off pressure without destroying lives, businesses and farms!

Reactions: Alphatreedog

I saw it is closed. But it's an iconic Iceland destination. Just wondering if it was closed out of precaution or real threat.

Cheers and thanks for the update! Pulling for everyone there and hopefully things recede or let off pressure without destroying lives, businesses and farms!
Volcanos are just earths way of fighting the rising tide of global warming.

Mother Nature taketh coast, Mother Nature giveth coast.

Volcanos are just earths way of fighting the rising tide of global warming.

Mother Nature taketh coast, Mother Nature giveth coast.
Yeah...

But Iceland is a really cool place with lots of nice Icelanders. Some of the best folks I met while riding. They make wicked good soup, too.

Why can't we get a nice volcano under Los Angeles or NYC or S.F. or Austin. You know, the cities where people who need to be bathed in lava. Sadly, we'll end up losing Wyoming and Montana, probably before all the Californians move in.

Sirhr

Blue Lagoon is not out of the danger zone, but it's also unlikely that it will be affected. Closed out of precaution. Scientists are looking to the east/northeast on the other side of the geothermal plant as a possible eruption site. Blue Lagoon is uphill from where they are speculating, but Grindavik is in a bad spot as it's in almost a direct path of the lava flow regardless where an eruption occurs. And if an eruption occurs off shore, there is a real possibility that it will be explosive, which also puts Grindavik in danger. Even if no eruption occurs or lava doesn't reach town, It will be a long time before residents can return due to the ground being weakened and possible future eruptions. When the magma was pushing up to the surface in town, it caused a whole section of town to drop "subside" by a meter in height, which caused all the cracks running through town. It split a few buildings and houses when that happened, so there will be a lot of work that needs done before people can return.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Yeah...

But Iceland is a really cool place with lots of nice Icelanders. Some of the best folks I met while riding. They make wicked good soup, too.

Why can't we get a nice volcano under Los Angeles or NYC or S.F. or Austin. You know, the cities where people who need to be bathed in lava. Sadly, we'll end up losing Wyoming and Montana, probably before all the Californians move in.

Sirhr
There is the San Andreas.....

@pmclaine Your wait is over, it's erupting! Started about one and a half - two hours ago. Due east of the power plant/Blue Lagoon area. Not lookin good for Grindavik. Also, depending on how well that lava dam they just built holds up, there's a small chance the geothermal plant and the Blue Lagoon gets covered as well.

@pmclaine Your wait is over, it's erupting! Started about one and a half - two hours ago. Due east of the power plant/Blue Lagoon area. Not lookin good for Grindavik. Also, depending on how well that lava dam they just built holds up, there's a small chance the geothermal plant and the Blue Lagoon gets covered as well.

Man those Icelanders go long time.

Now do Three Gorges Dam please........

Anyone know how we relocate this to our southern border?
Frome the left coast all the way to the western Big Bend region of Texas is Volcanic. But you saw how long this one took...

I'm glad there are no hydrocarbons in that.
If the fissure opens up at the coast, no hydrocarbons will be necessary.

Reactions: pmclaine
Yeah...

Sirhr
she gone now

volcano-lead.jpg

• Haha
Can we airdrop liberals and illegals into the volcano? What about the corrupt government officials, well that's most of them!!!

Reactions: 375fan
Can we airdrop liberals and illegals into the volcano? What about the corrupt government officials, well that's most of them!!!

I think we want to give the volcano Gods hot chicks, not nasty refuse. You want the volcano gods to take one bite of Pelosi or Mitch and light off Yellowstone as revenge? Not me!

Though maybe we would get lucky and Campe Flagre would erupt and get rid of Naples. That place is nasty.

Sirhr

I think we want to give the volcano Gods hot chicks, not nasty refuse. You want the volcano gods to take one bite of Pelosi or Mitch and light off Yellowstone as revenge? Not me!

Though maybe we would get lucky and Campe Flagre would erupt and get rid of Naples. That place is nasty.

Sirhr
Pretty sure they gauge the sacrifice based on total carbon footprint. We need to feed him fat chicks. The fatter the better..

• Haha