• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's done mammoth? Looking for insight into what a stage looks like.

rothgyr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2018
    UTAH (UT)
    My buddy and I are planning to do Mammoth 2024, and looking for ways to prepare. Obviously, fitness keeps you from getting disqualified, and we're both prepping for that, but neither of us knows what to expect points wise. We're both PRS shooters, but the team aspect is new to both of us. For practice, we were thinking of doing some NRL Hunter matches as a team, since a lot of that ought to carry over with find, range engage format, but as I've been thinking about it, I'd like to know exactly what to prepare for.

Anyone who's done Mammoth have a typical stage break down to share? Do we spot for each other? Do we shoot simultaneously? Do we shoot the same targets taking turns or something? We're both fine with positional shooting, time pressure, etc. that comes with PRS, just not strategizing as a team yet.

If anyone has recommendations for team matches other than NRLH, let me know too.

I keep pretty detailed notes on the stages. Done it 3 years in a row now. It would be long for me to post every stage and every detail here but I'll gladly share if you want to know.

In many cases you play it how you want. You can spot for one another but usually I'm too busy finding more targets to do a lot of spotting. Only one stage this year had both shooters firing simultaneously, at least teammates. One stage had multiple teams shooting simultaneously, if that makes sense. Sometimes you shoot the same targets in the same sequence, sometimes you shoot the same targets in different sequence, sometimes you shoot different targets in a specific sequence, sometimes you shoot any target in any sequence.

Also, time pressure for this is a little different from PRS. Not to be the guy that says, "this is way more hardcore. not some pansy PRS match", just saying that PRS speed only has some applicability here (although definitely still applicable). You gain time by quickly moving to positions (usually you have to do some running), prosecuting pistol targets quickly, sometimes there are non-shooting tasks that need to be done so that's a place to lose time. Then there is the coordination with your teammate. Every extra bit of communication eats up shooting time which is tight. For example, this year the stage that you had to really move the fastest on had 15 rounds of pistol and 15 rifle rounds for each shooter. So you have to run with all your kit 40 yards, each shoot your 15 rounds of pistol one after another, move to another position, find 5 rifle targets, and each in sequence hit those targets.

4 minutes, 2 shooters, multiple positions, 4 guns, 10 targets, 60 rounds. In practice, if you want to get all your rounds off (and score), you have to be fast in every facet. Then there is the bit where you can throw that all out the window if you miss some sort of procedural bit that results in no score despite getting hits.

Not sure about matches out in UT, if thats where you are at. I'm also of the opinion that NRLH isn't really the best way to train for Mammoth. Not that NRLH isn't good. I shoot NRLH. I just think that it often gets lumped in the same category and I think that's only accurate in a very general sense. NRLH is a lot closer to PRS than something like Mammoth as much as NRLH is touted as being a radical departure from PRS. I think my best prep match every year is the Guardian team match. Also, I'm not an expert and I don't place well or anything. Just sharing some info based on my experience and analysis

Edit: I reread what I wrote. Its a bit disjointed. Apologies if its unclear

Last edited:
    This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. What about Guardian matches sets you up well? I'm not familiar with their format other than that you use pistol and it's a team match.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. What about Guardian matches sets you up well? I'm not familiar with their format other than that you use pistol and it's a team match.
    Guardian matches you do not carry all your gear/foodcamp for the entire weekend like mammoth. It is more like 2 days of PRS with unknown distances, and less blind stages... meaning you can't see alll of them, but last year all the targets were on the same large range for 80% of them. Targets werent hidden to the point they were difficult to find either. Some challenges of stages were you had to draw a card with a design on it, then tell your partner the design and target location with music blaring between you. Another one was there was a board of 6 cartoon people thatyou had to memorize as your targets, and then find them and shoot the target with them. Some would vary by having a red hat instead of blue, a black beard instead of red, etc. Another stage was one where the first partner had to draw a range card while only he could see, and then the second shooter had to range while only he could see. that stage also gave bonus points for being within a certain % of the distance. There was also a stage where you had to engage pistol targets outside of a house, then went inside the house and had to build a platform to shoot from, find targets, and engage them... that stage was a blast. there was also a riddle stage where you had to solve 5 riddles, and if you did you got to go to the stage earlier and was given more time. you engaged 2 targets from 5 different rocks. Me and my partner are going back again this year and were able to win the open class this year, so feel free to ask any questions. It is an easier format than mammoth, although I thought mammoth wasnt as bad as I was predicting this year in regards of having enough time to shoot. I think we only timed out on 2 or 3 stages, and that was because I was having some dope issues that made me stop and scratch my head...lol. Guardian is really relaxed and a super friendly environment. It is a highly recommended match because of the atmosphere and the fact that it has such a great cause behind it.

The guys at Best Targets have posted AARs for many of the team matches they've entered, including 9 or 10 from Mammoth.

Sean & Greg also have some AARs on their website, including this one from 2021's Mammoth match:

They also have a list of team matches on their site.

Reactions: never_summer
    Does anyone know if you need an access code to register for Mammoth? I have heard it sells out pretty fast and want to make sure I'm ready to reserve my spot for my first year. Can't let this training go to waste!

Last edited:
    no code. I know it says to put one in on the website but really you just need to wait for the day it goes live and be quick with the checkout button. Good luck

Reactions: RKM556
    no code. I know it says to put one in on the website but really you just need to wait for the day it goes live and be quick with the checkout button. Good luck
    Sounds great - thank you so much for the info. Looking forward to seeing some of y'all out there!