• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's installed synthetic turf as a backyard?

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Going to be doing a backyard soon and was consider synthetic turf for one corner for the dog to do her business. What did you get? Would you do it again? Tips or tricks for someone who knows nothing on the subject other than I'd like to move on from grass as much as possible.

We have been thinking about doing a section of the yard in it. I am concerned how the Golden Retriever is going to do on it. I have a buddy that does sports fields, I have been meaning to talk to him and see what material he recommends.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA check the rules. They normally do not allow turf. Neighbor here did his front yard and it look damn near like real grass. HOA told him to remove it. Against the rules. Talked to the neighbor and he told me it would not even be ok to put it in the backyard.

I put some in a small section of our yard for the dogs, they love it.

There's some really good artificial turf these days.

For dogs you are going to want turf that's designed to handle dogs and the abuse of dog(s) running around and playing on it. You are also going to want really good drainage for when they inevitably want to do their business on it.

Some other considerations:

- Get a fill that's designed for use with pets (to help mitigate odors)
    - artificial turf gets really hot in full sun, so putting it in a place where it gets some shade is worth considering
    - Get a cleaning solution to spray it occasionally. I use Zeofill cleaner (and their fill)
    - under the turf you will want a layer of compacted sand to help with drainage
    - on top of the sand people generally put weed barriers, but that is usually skipped when using for pets

If available, go to a local artificial turf retailer and look at their samples and ask lots of questions.

I picked up dog crap for work for awhile in a past life. Some of those astroturf brands get hotter than hell in an AZ summer. Choose wisely or your dog will a) never use it or b) burn their paws.

No comment on pets, but reiterating that turf gets hot as hell. Part of how grass stays cool is that it is constantly transporting water to the grass blades. As that water evaporates, it carries heat away with it. Plastic grass can’t do this and just soaks up the heat from the sun. Add in the ground tires that so many use as fill and fuuuuuuuck.

No comment on pets, but reiterating that turf gets hit as hell. Part of how grass stays cool is that it is constantly transporting water to the grass blades. As that water evaporates, it carries heat away with it. Plastic grass can’t do this and just soaks up the heat from the sun. Add in the ground tires that so many use as fill and fuuuuuuuck

No comment on pets, but reiterating that turf gets hot as hell. Part of how grass stays cool is that it is constantly transporting water to the grass blades. As that water evaporates, it carries heat away with it. Plastic grass can’t do this and just soaks up the heat from the sun. Add in the ground tires that so many use as fill and fuuuuuuuck.

Yep. First few times I saw it, I thought turf was a genius idea. But ALL of those yards ended up being hell, absolutely miserable to work in. I swore I would NEVER get turf in my yard. Looks great, requires no care for a LONG while, but if you want to do anything with it besides stare, I’d pass unless they’ve made crazy tech strides to change the negatives.

Going to be doing a backyard soon and was consider synthetic turf for one corner for the dog to do her business. What did you get? Would you do it again? Tips or tricks for someone who knows nothing on the subject other than I'd like to move on from grass as much as possible.
    Talk to the local Camp Bow Wow or similar doggie daycare and ask what they use. They have some kind of astro turf in their outdoor areas.