• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's loaded Nosler 180 gr Custom Comps? .308

NoFail

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
S.F. Bay Area
I've got some, would'a preferred 168 gr but we get what we can these days.

I loaded for OCW 43.1 gr start to 44.0 finish, IMR 4064, Hornady Match .308, Rem #9/2 LRP. Mag length average OAL 2.813", Ogive 2.190"

None of that so good.

16" JP Supermatch barrel.

Is this bullet good for deer?

EDIT; I had brain fart... I meant to say its a Nosler COMBINED TECHNOLOGY Ballistic Silvertip, 180 grain.

Last edited:
I haven't loaded Custom Comps. However Nosler Ballistic Tip BTs and CombiTech HPBTs in 180 gr.
DPMS 16" 308

Over 4064 it's like scatter shot. I have much better results over RL17 or N550 - 43.0 to 43.5gr.

PS, my wife loves your avatar.

I hope she loves my avatar, I don't blame her. Maybe you get some tonight now :)

Yes, they scatter up too 5" or more, 3 shot groups epic fail.

I don't have those powders. Others I have are Varget, H4895, H380 & CFE 223. Not a good time to waste powder on another failure, or expensive Nosler's either.

I have a couple boxes of the 180 ballistic tips too.

Load Info

I hope she loves my avatar, I don't blame her. Maybe you get some tonight now :)

Yes, they scatter up too 5" or more, 3 shot groups epic fail.

I don't have those powders. Others I have are Varget, H4895, H380 & CFE 223. Not a good time to waste powder on another failure, or expensive Nosler's either.

I have a couple boxes of the 180 ballistic tips too.

I just got done working up a load for my SR-25 using some 180gr SMKs (not the current ones). the ones I have are more like the 175s or the 190s that Seirra makes these days.

Out of my 20" gun I'm getting ~2670fps using LC brass with CCI std primers and 46.2 grains of CFE223, loaded to 2.81". Groups average < .5" @ 100yds. No pressure signs, gun operates smoothly.

YMMV,
Mike

Last edited:
They are probably 190gr CC's and they shoot well! I don't think Nosler makes a .308 180gr CC.

I just got done working up a load for my SR-25 using some 180gr SMKs (not the current ones). the ones I have are more like the 175s or the 190s that Seirra makes these days.

Out of my 20" gun I'm getting ~2670fps using LC brass with CCI std primers and 46.2 grains of CFE223, loaded to 2.81". Groups average < .5" @ 100yds. No pressure signs, gun operates smoothly.

YMMV,
Mike

Hi Mike, yes I was thinking I should have used the CFE before I decided on the 4064; Hodgdon showed better velocities in their data with the 4064. But I should have known better after what I have been experiencing with the CFE with the 178 AMAX on top. The load I came up with for that 178 is very nice <.75" consistency from LR-308, 46.8 CFE inside Hornady brass.

You know, that 180 Combined Technology Silvertip, and 1Inbrdg yes I misstated it is actually a 180 grain Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip (fixed it), it is like 1/8" longer than the 178 AMAX. I just loaded the Nosler as long as I could for Pmag. I figured I'd have to play with seating after I found charge I can work with but that first attempt was ridiculous, nothing there to pin on my hat.

That SR 25, very nice shooting. My brother in law has one and its the one I measure mine against. Still trying to beat it, I coming closer but my mileage does vary :)

Last edited:
Too bad you're not up here in Orygun or I'd say c'mon over and try my slower powders.
Yep. :D

Too bad I'm here in this God Forsaken state of this state. It's getting worse and worse. Liberal hacks are a cancer, the scorn of the union. They leave no rock unturned. They are inhuman monsters bent on destroying the last vestiges of mankind. If they come to you, kill them!!! Leave none of them alive & when they come back to life kill them again and then set them on fire, they always return.

You got me a job up there, P7? I got laid off now, another example of the results from the brilliant mind of the liberal commie earther hack.

Rent here the SF Bay Area is a complete no go!! This house I am in, been here years on a decent rent. It's now at the end for me and my family and will be out of escrow from short sale on June 7th, found out yesterday. I could rent 2 bed apartment for like 2k. Fuck that I'm out of here. Central Kalifornicate is cheaper, gets fkn hot there, jobs not as good but I'm sick of the liberal, or progressive as like to call themselves, pieces of shit in the workplace in the Bay Area. They are all stupid, smart, but fucken stupid democrat drones. I was born right here, raised when it was the best state in the union. They have destroyed it. Illegals everywhere, welfare everywhere, roads crumbling when we had best in nation decades ago. San Jose, where I was born and raised now has worst roads in nation according to report I just heard. They have from time to time a bill for sheeple to vote on for road improvement monies. the bill passes and the money never goes tothe roads, where do you think it goes? It's so depressing to have witnessed it. Do not come here!!! It is a fallacy, a lie, a complete and utter disaster in the making.

The animal lovers gutted my fathers meat company by fire.
There is a fire dept Lieutenant, I think in Santa Clara, his base pay is 160k per. With overtime he earned 250k+. They are 100's firemen short so they all work overtime. City saves money this way instead of having full allotments of fully benefitted crews. And when they retire they get their fucken 80% pensions. This in itself is unsustainable. I could go on and on and on and on.

Kalifornicate, the land of Fuckstien and Boxer, it's over.....

Thanks for listening

Last edited:
NoFail,
I see you are in industrial automation, which is exactly what I do. PM me offline. I work doing mostly DCS software for a very large company, and depending on your experience there are definitely opportunities AFIK.
Jim

I loaded up 25 of these Combined Technology ballistic silvertips and also some Tubb break-in rounds. Both were in Lapua (308 win.) with 42 grains of Varget and CCI primers. I was breaking in a new Shilen barrel (1-10 twist) and the break-in rounds at 100 yds. were going through the same hole! Was so excited this gun was going to be a shooter. Oh yeah its a Rem model 7 with 23.5 barrel and JP Cooly break. I cleaned and moved to 200yds after establishing a zero and these silvertips were all over the place.... Could it be the Lubilox coating? I have 475 of these left and am thinking of ditching them for 175 sierras. I know I havent worked with them enough and that its a new barrel, but has anyone shot well with these??????