• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who's Shot a Nice Black-Tailed Buck?

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
I have been considering switching gears this year from the norm (chasing nice mulies and black bears) and hunting hard for a nice Black-Tailed Deer. I have a few areas in mind that i have seen some nice bucks in in the past.

I need some pics to get me fired up for scouting. Here is a pic of my dads buck that he shot several years back.

PC250007.jpg

I rebuilt my computer and i don't have any video editing software anymore, but i will try to get some of the videos we got of some nice blackies while bear hunting/scouting up in the next couple of days. If you have taken a nice Black Tail from the Northwest or Alaska please post a pic.

Re: Who's Shot a Nice Black-Tailed Buck?

Black tail is our usual game. They can be really clever (for a deer anyway) and hard to find. Most of our hunts are coastal range foothills, and the deer have a few fave spots that are hard to get to and find.

I hunted Blacktails for many years. Here in California it dpends where you are the type of hunt for them you get.

Close to populations i have hunted for them with Archery less than a mile from many residences.

Up around Lake Co I generally hunt them at distance with my sniper rifle because hunting season there is 95 plus degrees and the secret is to hunt paths to water.

Now thebiggest was 160lbs which is a fluke because most Blacktails here are 100-120lbs

One suggestion is dont go slamming through the brush and expect to get one. Wait for them on an over watch position

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black tail is our usual game. They can be really clever (for a deer anyway) and hard to find. Most of our hunts are coastal range foothills, and the deer have a few fave spots that are hard to get to and find. </div></div>

They are clever. We hunt ours in the Hi-Country during main season, its difficult because by Oct the bad weather can set in and the deer move out early. Generally antler wise they tend to be on the small side around 120-140 class (compared to the other two species) but my family has taken some with bodies that weigh over 200lbs.

CL&RR that is a big buck, what did he measure out to?