• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's using a T-7 on a Dillon Strong Mount?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I know I've seen a few pictures here where guys have the Redding T-7 mounted on a Strong Mount.

I hear no new holes need to be drilled, so I need to know if I need the taller 550 SM or if the 650 SM will work.

Please help....a post a picture for me too.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Who's using a T-7 on a Dillon Strong Mount?

Jason, I've included the same information I sent you earlier today in case others may find it useful as well. With minor edits, the original response is included below:
--------------------------
Jason,

I have the mount that is 8.5" high. Looking in the Dillon catalog (Blue Press), it is the one they describe as being for the RL550/XL650, stock number G93-22051 for $45.95. It is the one they say includes the RL 550B bin bracket.

You need this height because the T7 press has an underhang of about 7.5" below the bottom of the base. Therefore, you need the extra clearance room provided by the higher mount so that you can secure the mount slightly back from the edge of the tabletop and still have sufficient clearance to operate the handle on the press.

Mine is mounted so that the edge of mount is 1/2" from the edge and the center of the mounting bolt is 1" back. The footprint of the mount on the tabletop is 12" across the front and 10" deep.

I will take a couple of quick pictures and send them to you as well. It will be easier to visualize that way. There is an overall view, and closeups with the handle up, partway down, and all the way down.

The T7 press mounted very easily and did not require any new holes to be drilled on the mounting brackets.

Hopefully this explanation and the pictures will answer all your questions.

Overall.jpg
HandleUp.jpg
HandlePartway.jpg
HandleDown.jpg

I currently have a 650 and a 450 sitting on my bench. I use the 650 for pistol and .223 plinking rounds. The 450 is used for my match ammo, both .223 & .308. Recently I've started shooting in local F-class matches, and had considered getting a single stage press for my long range loads (always looking for better accuracy). For 2 months I've gone back and forth between a Coax and the T7 and just couldn't make up my mind. This thread has me thinking that blue and green go together well ;>).
THANKS!

9sig,

I too was going back and forth between the Forster Co-Ax and the Redding T-7 but finally decided to go with the T-7 for the added convenience of spinning the turret to the next already adjusted die.

I have not regretted making the choice I did. I keep one turret loaded with 30 cal dies and purchased an additional turret I keep loaded for .223.

Truthfully, I don't think you could go wrong with either option.

pell1203,

Thank you again for the information, it's exactly what I needed and more!

Stuff like this is why I love the guys on the hide, always helpful.

Thanks again,
Jason

Here's a pic of my reloading room (a walk-in closet downstairs). As you can see, I'm limited for space so I must make the most with every equipment decision. I like the fact that I can mount the T7 exactly where the 450 currently sits. I do have one question though; what about the spent primer tube, do you not use it?
Thanks again for sharing your ingenuity!

ReloadingRoom001.jpg

I have the same setup as pell1203. One suggestion is drill a 1" hole right under the ram so you can route the empty primer hose through it. This will allow the press to cycle and still collect empty primers.

I've been using either the top or bottom half of a styrofoam take out box to catch the primers as they come out of the bottom of the press. I cut out a small notch on the side of my "styrofoam tray" so that it does not interfere with the tube where the spent primers come out.

So far this method seems to catch most of the primers... not many come through fast enough, or bounce high enough, to make it out of the tray. It's worked well and kept me from drilling a hole in the bench.

I just thought of this... instead of cutting the restaurant take out box into an upper and a lower half, thereby making two trays, and then cutting the notch into the one I chose to use, I could instead stick the entire take out box under the press after making the appropriate cutouts to the side of the closed box. This modification should keep the primers from jumping out and would serve as a reusable "mini garbage can" to boot.
smile.gif

Getting late and mind getting silly... good night all!