• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whose 308 ammo to purchase

uglychev

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2023
Washington
I'd like to pick up a box of loaded 308 ammo, maybe a box of 500. FMJ is fine, just for practice, probably within 200 yards.

But I'd like to save the brass to reload, 500 rounds would give me a little inventory.

For example I could buy Lapua but I don't really need the very best.

It's not for competition, nor for reloading right on the edge.

I guess my question really is, Whose ammo/brass to avoid ? Whose is perfectly fine ?

Thanks !

Federal brass will get you 90% of the way there with proper prep. Avoid Russian ammo like Brown Bear as it is cheap for a reason.

Reactions: pabrousseau
For only 200 yards you can probably use any brass. Just sort by head stamp and don't mix same time shooting.

I stay away from Federal brass to many missing primers after 1 reload. Am i the only person with this problem? Is it because i dont use Federal primers maybe they are a little wider?

Newer Federal Brass with the blue primer sealant is decent brass. The very old federal brass was soft. If you're getting loose primer pockets on the newer brass after one firing, your loads are too hot.

I'd like to pick up a box of loaded 308 ammo, maybe a box of 500. FMJ is fine, just for practice, probably within 200 yards.

But I'd like to save the brass to reload, 500 rounds would give me a little inventory.

I guess my question really is, Whose ammo/brass to avoid ? Whose is perfectly fine ?

Thanks !

Not that you need the very best if you're only shooting at 200 yards, but consider the following:

- To get decent ammo (and brass) you're going to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.75 per round.
- You can get Lapua brass for $.90 per case.
- Primers are likely somewhere around $.10 - $.15 per.
- Bullets vary, but call it $.40
- Powder will be somewhere around $.50 per round.

That totals about $2.00 per loaded round - so for just $.25 more per round, you get the best brass coming out the other side. And you'll make up the cost difference in brass life.

Reactions: jb0311

Thanks !
If this is for a bolt gun, Federal brass will work nicely. I've used Federal brass now for several years and get quite good results. Though, just don't expect them to be the quality of Lapua's. As with many other brands of brass, the more work you put into them the better they'll perform ( e.g. uniforming as much of each case as you care to).

Reactions: RegionRat
Another vote for FGMM. I reload the brass five times then toss it. I've not yet had a primer go loose, I don't anneal and they perform consistently as long as my reloading process doesn't get lazy.

Reactions: 390fe
You’ll get far better pricing online than at Cabelas or sportsman’s. Most of them want $40/box for FGMM when you can buy it online for $20/box or less pretty often.

Reactions: 390fe
Don’t forget Lake City LR brass. Aside from Lapua, that’s some of the best brass out there. Definitely better than Federal, in my opinion.

It’s been a year or two since I’ve bought some, but I usually get once fired LR brass for 25¢ a piece.