• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why a removed bolt?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all, just a practical question- I've seen in a number of shots of people's cases that they remove the bolt when the gun is in storage or closed up. Why?

Thanks,
BB

Re: Why a removed bolt?

There are probably many reasons, but I have two:

It keeps oil and crap from running down into the bolt, filling the firing pin channel

I keep the bolt in a different safe than the rifle.

The reason you see them removed while the rifles are in their cases is due to the facts that the case may not close with the bolt in the rifle, or if it does close, it puts too much pressure on the bolt creating an opportunity to brake the bolt handle off.

bolthandlebreakoff2.jpg

Would this really be an issue with a Pelican 1750, where I've cut the inset for my rifle?

Reasons stated above and to prevent rust. You could cut out an insert for your bolt in your Pelican case also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would this really be an issue with a Pelican 1750, where I've cut the inset for my rifle? </div></div>

with a factory bolt handle/knob, it would most likely be fine. when you start adding a longer bolt knob, it puts a lot of stress on the handle. i had mine in a 1750. i didn't brake while in the case. it broke off during a rapid fire stage at one our matches. i think leaving the bolt in the action while in the case was the root cause of it though.

Take mine out when transporting in it's Starlight Case for the above reasons as well. You also know 100% that you have a clear chamber as well..... Have seen more than a few carry their bolt on it's own belt holster...

Here in Northern Ireland, we have to, by law, keep the bolts seperate from the rifle in a locked safe, we then need a safe for the rifles and i store all my ammo, powders and primers in another safe. My house is coming down with safes

The safety issue doesn't concern me (that's like storing your 1911's slide separately from the frame). But the tension on the bolt is a valid concern, IMO.

I ride a motorcycle with my rifle slung to my back in a soft case. The bolt handle is straight and long, and it pokes pretty hard into my case, is one more stress point, so I remove it. I do the same with the bipod.
Nik

I always remove the bolt and store it in a cloth to keep it dry and dirt out of it. I clean and regrease everytime i take it out just to keep it in better shape. The breaking off is another problem i worry about. Its just a good idea. Better safe then sorry.

When the bolt is opened and removed, isn't the firing pin cocked? Any concerns with the firing pin spring remaining compressed all the time?