• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why aftermarket receivers

dtdk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
mn in the us
So, not trying to troll or anything. But from an accuracy perspective, do you gain anything with high end aftermarket 700 receiver over a blue printed Remington receiver?

I will fully admit that aftermarket receivers are very nice cosmetically, and there is definitely pride in ownership.

Is there other factors I should consider?

It comes down to features. One piece bolts, different extractor types, interchangeable bolt heads, perfectly controlled headspace dimensions which make shouldered prefits possible, side bolt release, interchangeable bolt knobs, DLC coatings or nitride treatments. Integral lugs and rails, or pinned lugs and rails, A Remington isn’t the best choice for super magnums, and some customs offer larger receiver diameters and bigger bolts. Customs typically have much nicer primary extraction cams, something that very often needs correcting on a Remington. Would you like a shorter bolt throw, get yourself a three lug action. Magazine cutouts for AW magazines, or a Wyatt’s extended internal magazine.

There was a time when basic Remington clones were a grand, and sometimes a lot more. These days we’re getting way more features for way less than that. If you don’t already have a Remington receiver to start with, a custom makes a lot of sense.

It comes down to features.

Great statement and I agree 100% ... On the other hand I can make the Remington 700's shoot like none other leaving the shop with factory ammo So I've been told... but what would I know ?

Mike R.

But you charge for that extreme privilege and I don’t doubt that an aftermarket action would get the same treatment out of your shop.

Personally, I like the value per dollar and adaptability of my bighorn origin more than my blueprinted rem 700. (No mines not a tac ops)

Reactions: lash
I spent some coin on an aftermarket receiver for a build.
Worth every penny.
It’s super smooth.
Has a mechanical ejector which I love.
Recoil lug self aligns.
Easy to access, robust bolt stop.
I can swap from 7 saum to 260 in minutes.
Works great with long OAL AICS pattern mags.
Superior Extractor.

No shame and ridicule for running a savage.

I can proudly post glamour shots without insults to my parentage.

I spent some coin on an aftermarket receiver for a build.
Worth every penny.
It’s super smooth.
Has a mechanical ejector which I love.
Recoil lug self aligns.
Easy to access, robust bolt stop.
I can swap from 7 saum to 260 in minutes.
Works great with long OAL AICS pattern mags.
Superior Extractor.
Has swappable bolt heads so your options for the future are always easily open.
It has quick easy tool less bolt disassembly which is just plain convenient.
It’s exactly the same as every other one so barrels can be had sight unseen.

Reactions: Steel head
Has swappable bolt heads so your options for the future are always easily open.
It has quick easy tool less bolt disassembly which is just plain convenient.
It’s exactly the same as every other one so barrels can be had sight unseen.
And that proud feeling when you thread in a barrel into that action and it’s butter smooth yet tight and wobble free!

Are there any aftermarket receivers in the $500 neighborhood or do the all start at about $850?

A blue printed 700 isnt worth much more than a non blue printed receiver, unless it's been done by Mike or gap or sac. A custom action holds it value alot better. Also, what's it cost to blue print a 700? Side bolt release, bush fp, bush bolt body and ream raceways, sako or mini m16 extractor, double pin recoil lug, 8-40 & pin scope rail, flute bolt body, tig weld bolt handle, thread handle for knob, and nitride action.....

Reactions: Threadcutter308
It comes down to features.

Great statement and I agree 100% ... On the other hand I can make the Remington 700's shoot like none other leaving the shop with factory ammo So I've been told... but what would I know ?

Mike R.

What does it cost to have that done?

Orrrrrrrrrr.......: pick up a tikka............ I have a sako trg, bighorn tl2 built by beanland, and a tikka. The tikka holds its own, and is honestly smoother than my bighorn and WAY cheaper.

What he said. Look at it this way, the action is only 6500, but you get a free barrel, stock, gunsmithing.......lol.

Tac ops are beautiful rifles that flat out hammer. This post wasnt meant, and shouldn't be taken as a slight to Mike's work, cause his stuff is topline.

What he said. Look at it this way, the action is only 6500, but you get a free barrel, stock, gunsmithing.......lol.

Tac ops are beautiful rifles that flat out hammer. This post wasnt meant, and shouldn't be taken as a slight to Mike's work, cause his stuff is topline.
Free stuff!
His rifles are beautiful with a cult following that is deserved.

Are there any aftermarket receivers in the $500 neighborhood or do the all start at about $850?
Closer to 850, but make some calls and ask, some retailers may deal on them a bit.

Someone help me, as I can’t recall. There was a company releasing an action around the same time the origin came out, maybe a little after. Seem to recall it was sub $700, and was in a pre-order status. Can’t remember the name of the company Accu-shot, atlas...something. Never seen any talk of the receiver after that, almost like they never got finished.

He can do it obviously, but pretty sure you have to buy the rest of the rifle with it.

I knew the answer, spend a bunch of money to buy a rem 700 and make it better, or buy a bighorn, impact, deficance, etc.... Screw a nice barrel on it and be done with it. :)

I have 4 "aftermarket" receivers. They are all American Rifle Company Nucleus.

I have 4 non-aftermarket rifles. A Blaser R8, a Savage M12, and 2 700 varmints. I am getting out of them this year. I plan on only owning 5 rifles going forward. My Blaser R8 and my 4 Nucleus.

Every feature I wanted is on the Nucleus, if you rebuilt a 700 with a bolt stop, pinned the lug, and put 8x40 threads on the scope mount it still wouldn't have the Savage barrel tennon, 3 lug bolt, and integral bolt handle.

A 700 is a nice gun, but it is built to meet a price point. And upgrading it will generally cost $500-750 over the normal 700 price.

Reactions: King_beardsly
My vote is a Zermatt origin, it’s pretty much a tl3 light. Now having both I’ll say the tl3 is definitely a nice action but it’s more because of the little things that aren’t apparent unless you’re running them side by side.

I knew the answer, spend a bunch of money to buy a rem 700 and make it better, or buy a bighorn, impact, deficance, etc.... Screw a nice barrel on it and be done with it. :)

There’s another angle here and that’s shouldered prefit barrels. I’ll use Proof as an example. You can go to Altus right now and buy a stainless proof blank from them for $335. Take it to your gunsmith for fit/chamber and a muzzle thread for your Remington action, and it will cost you $375-450 for that work. Youre at $710-$784. Now go look at the Proof prefits Altus sells. They’re $479. You’re paying $144 for the machine work. If you step up to a carbon proof, you pay just $100 for the machine work. That’s insane.

Make a small investment in a barrel vice and an action wrench(you just saved $250-$300 in machine work), and now you’re self sufficient for future swaps. A few swaps down the road and youre WAY ahead of where you would have been had you gone the trued Remington route.

I prefer the Savage pre-fits for Bighorn/ARC actions. All you need is the go/no go gauges, a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench and go hard.

Reactions: Sierra770
Closer to 850, but make some calls and ask, some retailers may deal on them a bit.

Someone help me, as I can’t recall. There was a company releasing an action around the same time the origin came out, maybe a little after. Seem to recall it was sub $700, and was in a pre-order status. Can’t remember the name of the company Accu-shot, atlas...something. Never seen any talk of the receiver after that, almost like they never got finished.
It was that low for the preorder price, it’s roght about the same as an origin regular. https://aprifles.com/products/apr-gen-2

There was one from this year though that was 700 I think.

There’s another angle here and that’s shouldered prefit barrels. I’ll use Proof as an example. You can go to Altus right now and buy a stainless proof blank from them for $335. Take it to your gunsmith for fit/chamber and a muzzle thread for your Remington action, and it will cost you $375-450 for that work. Youre at $710-$784. Now go look at the Proof prefits Altus sells. They’re $479. You’re paying $144 for the machine work. If you step up to a carbon proof, you pay just $100 for the machine work. That’s insane.

Make a small investment in a barrel vice and an action wrench(you just saved $250-$300 in machine work), and now you’re self sufficient for future swaps. A few swaps down the road and youre WAY ahead of where you would have been had you gone the trued Remington route.
Or you could run some of the cheaper button rifled options With a barrel remage or savage.
The best groups I’ve ever shot were with a Shilen prefit with barrel nut.
You’d pretty much pay for your action in three barrels from the machining costs savings.

I recently ordered my 6th barrel nut barrel.

And for god sakes don’t look through a good scope either till your ready.

I am pretty fortunate with the scope situation.

I have a Gen II razor but all of my friends have NF 7x35, TT, S&B, Premier. So when I start looking down on my "cheap" Gen II I just go look through their scopes. It makes me all giddy until I remember they are almost $4k. That makes me fall back in love with the loyal ole lady of the Gen II.

I am pretty fortunate with the scope situation.

I have a Gen II razor but all of my friends have NF 7x35, TT, S&B, Premier. So when I start looking down on my "cheap" Gen II I just go look through their scopes. It makes me all giddy until I remember they are almost $4k. That makes me fall back in love with the loyal ole lady of the Gen II.
My slums glass Cronus holds it own pretty well.
At that level glass isn’t an issue anymore.

giphy (20).gif

A blue printed 700 isnt worth much more than a non blue printed receiver, unless it's been done by Mike or gap or sac. A custom action holds it value alot better. Also, what's it cost to blue print a 700? Side bolt release, bush fp, bush bolt body and ream raceways, sako or mini m16 extractor, double pin recoil lug, 8-40 & pin scope rail, flute bolt body, tig weld bolt handle, thread handle for knob, and nitride action.....
Absolutely true. By the time you get done with all the truing/accurizing, you'v paid for a "custom" action. I used to true 700's, but that was in the days when there really weren't many options. I've long since decided that I'll never true another 700.

Saw that someone on another forum had a Kenny Jarrett rifle that was on a trued 700 for $5500. With a McMillan classic. It made me laugh, but not many years ago that was a big deal.

There were GAP 700's on this site 5 or 6 years ago for the same money.

We have evolved quite a bit in just 5 years.

Degrees of bolt throw, with my Tempest action I get 60 degrees, a Tuebor Precision will get you 75 degrees and the standard Remington will be 90 degrees something to think about.