• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why AI?

Hecouldgoalltheway

Your mom's favorite shit poster
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 11, 2009
    West TN
    Why buy an AI?

Serious question. They look cool, and I kinda want one just to play with, but what purpose do they serve, they don't seem like a good fit for prs (I've shot probably 7 matches, so I'm no authority on this), but I've only ever seen one or two, and never in the hands of a pro shooter. The barrel profiles are too lightweight I think without adding a pile of weight. They seem too heavy, long and bulky for any hunting setup other than sitting in a fixed position. Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Because brand-loyal people will still waste a shitload of money on them for a status symbol, and because they believe they're magical, even though there are MUCH cheaper and better options out there.

And all the haters will be incoming shortly to flame me for expressing my own personal opinion because it made them butthurt.

I started out with a RPR, I put a LRI barrel on it and never shot the factory barrel. That gun was a solid.5 MOA rifle. I bought my first AI just because I was curious and liked the history of the brand, the AI a bit better on the precision but I was able to do things with the AI that I couldn’t do with the RPR. There’s some sort of secret sauce with guns like the AI and the 1911 or a Glock they just work. Also, if you have a problem with an AI then a call to Mile High is all it takes to get it sorted out.

You can buy a less expensive rifle and you might be able to get the same result as a AI but you’ve got to spend the money and hope it works, with an AI that’s not part of the equation because they do just work.

people want what it is they want , regardless of how much it cost . other like seeing other men at there local range loose there minds over named items . beauty is in the eye of the beholder while I will never shell out a million dollars for a painting from anyone people pay that much and more just to own a hunter biden crack pipe painting go figure .

The cool factor is there, most of what you pay for is bulletproof reliability that isn’t needed in a PRS match or banging steel out back. Also they aren’t really optimized for competition shooting.

If you have a rifle that you’re going to bang around on a 6000 mile flight, before banging in a humvee for two weeks, before taking a life or death shot (on a man that’s 3 moa wide at 600 yards), the AI will get it done and many of our favorites won’t.

After a 40 mile trip in the back seat of an F150 in a Pelican case on paved roads, followed by a shot on moa steel for bragging rights, most actions with a prefit barrel and bedded stock or chassis will do the same or better for half the price.

Why buy an AI?

Serious question. They look cool, and I kinda want one just to play with, but what purpose do they serve, they don't seem like a good fit for prs (I've shot probably 7 matches, so I'm no authority on this), but I've only ever seen one or two, and never in the hands of a pro shooter. The barrel profiles are too lightweight I think without adding a pile of weight. They seem too heavy, long and bulky for any hunting setup other than sitting in a fixed position. Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.
    Many buy them because it’s just simply a want. Also a proven system. Prefits are easy to come by. It’s a rugged/overbuilt system than most need but they can afford it and it works for them.

They’re not prs guns. Aside from the AT-X maybe. But that’s just the chassis. The action is still the same. So an impact will likely have bolt lift more suited to comp guns. But most of us here don’t care about prs and never plan to shoot it anyways

Realistically a savage 10 and Athlon optic can do everything a AI and ZCO can for most people.

Bog pod = RRS
    Savage = AI
    Athlon = ZCO
    RCBS = 419 Zero

The list goes on. I’m not sure why anyone would care what others use. Just buy what you can afford and what your preference is.

If you are an institution or agency that needs to buy off the shelf products, have support and standardize, the AI makes alot of sense. Be in LE or Mil. Its an easy solution that is proven and works for that application. Makes the contracting folks life alot easier, as well as selling it to the people with the budget strings.

For an individual, they make almost no sense unless you are into larping and posting more shots to Instagram than actually running the gun.

Don’t worry OP I think the same thing when I see these retards regurgitating how great their KAC is. Then use my $500 PSA to walk all over them.

They’re to big of fan boys to realize I have the same thing and do it better for a fraction of the price.

Save the name for a government willing to overpay for it or those who feel the need to use them to hold down their safes

Everything should to be looked at in context. I (and many others) bought when they were far more expensive than they are now, and the average badass commonly encountered tactical precision rifle was a pimped out R700 in a Mcmillan. The AI was and still is a widely fielded sniper rifle around the world, which makes it instantly popular.

Ive owned a few now, but have sold everything off except that first AW. I own many precision rifles, but the AW is favorite. I shot some matches in the early days if precision bolt matches, but dont any more.

To each their own.

@FuhQ youre wrong, my AI has magical powers!

Everything should to be looked at in context. I (and many others) bought when they were far more expensive than they are now, and the average badass commonly encountered tactical precision rifle was a pimped out R700 in a Mcmillan. The AI was and still is a widely fielded sniper rifle around the world, which makes it instantly popular.

Ive owned a few now, but have sold everything off except that first AW. I own many precision rifles, but the AW is favorite. I shot some matches in the early days if precision bolt matches, but dont any more.

To each their own.

@FuhQ youre wrong, my AI has magical powers!
    Give him a chance!! Arken was the greatest when he owned them. Burris XTRII became the next greatest recently. I have faith someday he’ll buy an AI or ZCO

Obligatory “I just like to shoot matches with my pinky out and laugh at all the poors.”

Realistically I love my ATX but I’ll be the first to tell you it is not optimized for PRS or square range matches. I mainly bought one because 1) I wanted to and 2) I could configure it any number of ways based on what I wanted to do with it… It basically took the place of 2 rifles for me.

PRS, load it up with all the weights, throw the long/heavy BRA barrel in it, and call it good. Good enough to be competitive.

NRL Hunter/team matches etc. take all the weight out of it, throw a lighter 6.5 barrel in it and run it all the same. Once again, plenty good to be competitive.

But the bottom line is if you’re trying to justify one because it’s “better” in some way, outside of mil or agency applications as others have mentioned, you’re grasping at straws.

06E83A98-007C-40ED-99E7-5FF420B731B2.jpeg

Realistically a savage 10 and Athlon optic can do everything a AI and ZCO can for most people.

Bog pod = RRS
    Savage = AI
    Athlon = ZCO
    RCBS = 419 Zero
    Lol

Not sure if srs

Tripod isn’t as stable. Reliability isn’t there with the bog pod salvage or junk optics either

Seen plenty of junk optics failures at the few matches I’ve been to.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    "Seems like a great fit for Military/LE sniper duties"... :ROFLMAO: Ya think? Might've googled their history...
    They made purpose built rifles...be they military sniper or Coopermatch Palma...they made their name with highly specialized rifles.

Why an AI in general...let's follow along as to why folks have used them along the way.

Because 20+ years and change ago, having a rifle that:
    - you could re-barrel in your garage in 5 minutes
    - swap bolts that would headspace
    - wasn't prone to stock bedding, scope rail/mount issues or wouldn't take a shit if you took it to a non-sterile environment
    - AND still shoot tiny sub-moa groups while still maintaining reliability...

Was a GODDAMN engineering feat if not a miracle at the time for a "factory" produced rifle.

Mags and drop-in chassis systems from early on as well.

Because 12-13 years ago, you could sit with your thumb up your ass waiting for your cool-guy smith (GAP/Crescent/SAC, etc) to get you a rifle made in a year or so (give or take a few months), or you could have an AI in a few days. Maybe you could source a Sako TRG or PGW, but there weren't 700 clones falling from the sky.

Because 8-9 years ago, when everyone caught up to pre-fits, barrel swaps with action wrenches and everybody caught up to the AI of decade prior, you got your AXMC that could go magnum or short action...with a fucking allen wrench.

Much of this was well before anyone gave a shit about teetering a weighted 6mm on a Gamechanger... or the ability to get a halfway decent gun out of the box without a bunch of upgrades or work to be done.

Lol

Not sure if srs

Tripod isn’t as stable. Reliability isn’t there with the bog pod salvage or junk optics either

Seen plenty of junk optics failures at the few matches I’ve been to.
    That post and my KAC one are both just busting balls of what we commonly see here…

Most people who are justifying something they own vs something they wish they owned or can’t afford. Most of the time never having hands on both to even compare.

Now the savage and Athlon working for most people wasn’t bs. The fact is most people will be able to accomplish their goals with them. But I’d recommend a Tikka over a savage in that case

I could see where in a prs environment traditional AT/AX/MC rifles wouldn’t be the preference though vs cheaper setups which are dedicated to that sport

Of course there’s the few who venture into more expensive rifles and end up back where they were or found most useful. I sold my AXMC which was the top dog in my safe because I just preferred other rifles for my use

I appreciate all of the responses, sincerely, but I still don't think anyone has approached my actual question, other than maybe one person.

What do you do with them? I'm not suggesting that every gun is my safe has a purpose, because some just don't, but I keep them anyways. But before I spend $5k+ on a new rifle, (and I've been kicking it around), what in the hell are you guys using them for? Are you really tieing up that kind of money just to bang steel for fun? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really asking. Is anyone hunting with them? Shooting any kind of matches well with them? Using them in some other way?

There has always been a class of rifle that is too heavy to hunt with, but not suitable for competition, and I never understood what people did with them. I've owned several myself (rem 700 long range, bergara hmr, and a few others).

I appreciate all of the responses, sincerely, but I still don't think anyone has approached my actual question, other than maybe one person.

What do you do with them? I'm not suggesting that every gun is my safe has a purpose, because some just don't, but I keep them anyways. But before I spend $5k+ on a new rifle, (and I've been kicking it around), what in the hell are you guys using them for? Are you really tieing up that kind of money just to bang steel for fun? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really asking. Is anyone hunting with them? Shooting any kind of matches well with them? Using them in some other way?
    I hunt with mine, I take it to the range, it’s my SHTF long gun. I’ve done the custom route, always wanted the AI.

It’s never leaving the safe. 4 minutes to change a barrel, if that.

You could find a used AT in the Px for sub $4K. If you don’t like it, can easily sell for your money back.

I use mine occasionally for steel. 95% of my use is crop damage hunting. Setting up in 20-80 acre fields from a stationary position shooting whitetail deer using DNR issued permits from June-October. Donating nearly every deer to locker plant which goes to local Salvation Army.

I started out with savage and a Sightron. Have made my way through many savages, R700’s, Tikkas, GAP and customs to eventually what I have now.

My AIAT which used an NF ATACR. Recently switched to a ZCO. As well as a pig 0311-G tripod which got swapped to a PVA/RRS

I updated through the years as I could afford. Eventually coming to what is my favorite setup I’ve ever owned. It works absolutely perfect for MY use. I have lighter guns for hunting regular deer season. I don’t shoot prs but do bang steel with it on our property which spans over 1100 yards

That’s why I have mine
    IMG_5685.jpeg

I’m just a hobbyist and I’ve got one rifle. I don’t enjoy the games of PRS or any other sport where grown men run around with costumes on. I appreciate AI being the easy button and appreciate well engineered tools. Plus, it’s just a cool rifle.

It’s kinda like the M3 vs 911 thing. I’m a M3 guy (because it’s more practical) but I know the 911 is a better car. With the AI or a 911 there’s nothing left to do, nothing else to buy or optimize.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    What do you do with them? I
    PRS. I’ve won barricade stages even with that bolt lift. No reliability issues either in rain snow Ice etc. Even hit a 1/3 (6x10”) at 940. Magical indeed with my “skills “
    Shoot steel
    Shoot varmints far away day and bight

And most importantly:
    Look Cool

Axmc and axsr are used quite often in matches outside of prs, where a reliable, robust rifle that can tolerate extreme field conditions is required. Look at pics of the Nightforce Elr challenge and you will see many AI's fielded, and winning. I also shoot my AXSR in the light gun division of ELR matches where the ability to choose a long action caliber based on maximum target distance is important to me. I've shot in some matches that top out at 1800, and some that top out at 2400 or further. For instance, I am shooting in a match soon that tops out at 1800, and I am seriously considering shooting 7mm PRC. I would not try that at another match in November that goes to 2300, where my 300 Norma barrel or 33xc would be more appropriate.

I hope that gives you an example of use case. This question gets asked often here on the Hide with the usual suspects chiming in. If all you look at is PRS, then yes, they are not the most appropriate. There is an entire universe of shooting disciplines outside of PRS.

don’t enjoy the games of PRS or any other sport where grown men run around with costumes on.
    Yiu are missing out.

It will make you a better shooter and expand your skill set. / show you how to make shots in various positions and situations.

You might even have fun.

Only costumes are the jersey crowd and besides the ones that cheat with wind calls / drama etc. They aren’t that bad

The AIs are one of the rifles are easily configurable to whatever you want it to do. And the parts are readily available for pretty much any configuration you want to go with. It's the jack of all trades, master of none. And if you don't like it, it's easy enough to sell. Try to do that with most custom rifles. Most people have to part them out to get them to sell or just take a huge lost on them.

I just bang steel at distance. Don't care about hunting, and don't care to be a retard and shoot PRS. I have had and still do own customs, but I still take at least one of the AIs with me everytime I go to the range.

Yeah...I hope you're at least a hard worker.
    I am a former us army sniper. Went through 3 iterations of issue sniper rifles. Some of them were not that great for the role, but it was what we had. My comment probably includes some nuance that you didn't pick up: plenty of rifles are used for that purpose that aren't well suited for it. I did a training exercise with 10th group's sotic team and a bunch of police snipers from the greater Denver area back in about.....2011. Some of those guys had walmart 700's with $80 bushnell scopes and were called "police snipers". You don't know what you don't know, but I'd be careful kicking dirt in my face, I'm much better at this than you are, so don't be disrespectful.

I am a former us army sniper. Went through 3 iterations of issue sniper rifles. Some of them were not that great for the role, but it was what we had. My comment probably includes some nuance that you didn't pick up: plenty of rifles are used for that purpose that aren't well suited for it. I did a training exercise with 10th group's sotic team and a bunch of police snipers from the greater Denver area back in about.....2011. Some of those guys had walmart 700's with $80 bushnell scopes and were called "police snipers". You don't know what you don't know, but I'd be careful kicking dirt in my face, I'm much better at this than you are, so don't be disrespectful.

Oh well in that case....

Nope...you're still the dude that came to an internet forum asking for hand-outs without doing your homework.
    Almost makes it worse, as you SHOULD know better.

Oh well in that case....

Nope...you're still the dude that came to an internet forum asking for hand-outs without doing your homework.
    Hand outs? What hand out did I ask for? I asked what people are using these rifles for? What purpose they are filling for the folks who use them? What fucking homework are you talking about? If you want to wear clown shoes, I'll lace them up for you in front of the crowd. You might want to just back out of this conversation.

I think it comes down to which AI and what your using it for. Field matches, there are lots of AI's... I think at the nf elr match between our squad and the one before and after really half the rifles were AI's.

20230610_100231.jpg

For me the ai is a combination of things. I have ran just about every action on the market and most are very good and for most people I don't think an ai is right for the majority of their uses it's true. With that said.....

I love the og non comp trigger. Imo best trigger ever designed period next to the trg trigger. I have never had one fail they are drop safe and 0 creep if set up right. Comp trigger is another story.

The bolt and firing control system is the most reliable and easy to maintain out there imo. I love the 3 position safety and being able to field strip my bolt in 2 seconds if needed and I never have in a match. Also makes doing reloading tasks easier such as finding the lands.

Imo the ai feeds everything but the Gucci short prs cartridges very reliably in all conditions. Hard stop.
    I'm sure someone has experienced a failure but in my years running an ai, I can't think of time I have had any issues feeding or extracting the cartridge ai designed for it again
    .. 6gt not happening without a bunch of work.

AX family forward are set up to run night vision from the get go, not an after thought and they do this extremely well.

Wintac bartlein barrels are some of the best mass-produced barrels ever. Never seen one not shoot lights out and I got a golf bag full of them now.

Return to zero for barrel swaps is probably the 2nd best system out there. It's fast and repeatable if you control your process.

My axmc will never leave the safe except for another axmc. The ability to go from 6.5cm to 338lm in less than 2 min is awesome.

Imo they just run in all nasty conditions and ai mags are the best out there. Never covered it up once in the rain and mud not a single feed/extract issue. I saw lots of guys with impacts etc having to pull their bolts and clean between stages and several guys were single feeding there 300prc and 300nm too... Not the AI's.

20230611_080418.jpg

If I cared about winning the prs I would have a prs built rifle...

If I cared about hunting big horns at 10k' I would have a sub 10lb hunting rifle

But if I had one gun that could be used for everything and that is flexible from short action to magnum and ultra reliable.... It's an AI in either axmc or axsr

But you do you I could careless what the peasants run these days

Last edited:
    Hand outs? What hand out did I ask for? I asked what people are using these rifles for? What purpose they are filling for the folks who use them? What fucking homework are you talking about? If you want to wear clown shoes, I'll lace them up for you in front of the crowd. You might want to just back out of this conversation.

You're really going to play that "poor wittle me...what'd I do?" card now, self-proclaimed "shitposter" and supposed sniper?

Acting like I didn't answer as if this weren't a shitpost on a forum that's a shell of its former self.

Last edited:
    You're really going to play that "poor wittle me...what'd I do?" card now, self-proclaimed "shitposter" and supposed sniper?
    You didn't actually say anything there. You realize that right? You're just making noise to hear the sound of your own voice. You wanted my attention, and now you have it. Do you own an AI or are you just in this conversation because it's Saturday and you have absolutely nothing to do but inject your low browed opinions on a subject that you know nothing about?

You didn't actually say anything there. You realize that right? You're just making noise to hear the sound of your own voice. You wanted my attention, and now you have it. Do you own an AI or are you just in this conversation because it's Saturday and you have absolutely nothing to do but inject your low browed opinions on a subject that you know nothing about?

I mean...my first I bought direct from Stacey Blankenship when he was at AI...so i've had them while. Been to 2x AI armorer courses taught by Neil Brasher. Used them professional, recreationally as well as in PRS. I think I've had 11 total AI guns.

LOL, better go back and un-like post #21 then...

This has been truly great, I've gotten some real good laughs out of this. Short of telling me you're like 6'5 or a black belt or your dad could beat up mine, I think you hit all the stops.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: BoltRunner