• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why all the interest in FFP scopes?

Straight Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
I know it's so you can range or dope on any power but honestly. How usable is that 1/4" reticle on 6 power? Can you even make out the marks on the lowest power?

They cost a lot more.

Why are people asking for them?

How accurate is ranging with a reticle over 600 yards? I shoot to a mile and if you error 5 yards it's a miss. You won't want to play with us 5 minutes if all you have is your Mil dot master or a ranging retical.

Is this a giant case of, monkey hear something on the internet and monkey have to have it?

There is a huge demand as the scope manufacturers are starting to make them.

Why?

Re: Why all the interest in FFP scopes?

It makes life easier, as LoneWolfUSMC said, he would rather dial it or hold it and shot the shit out of it as opposed to remembering what power he was on and how many mils or MOA that meant and so on.

There are plenty of FFP scopes that are useable on the lower end of power.

Movers, Leads, and Holds.

The ranging aspect is a nice addition as a back up.

Cheers,

Doc

I wouldnt say it is Monkey See Monkey Do at all.

The biggest think I get out of my FFP optics is the ability to dial down my mag and engage moving targets using a mil hold.

Hitting movers can be tough especially tough in real world situations, when they are not on a defined track and speed. Dialing wind to engage movers is a horrible mothod in my own opinion.

Even if you know your 2nd Focal Plane "Half Power" it still limits you to your mag options.

just my own $00.02.

I was shooting a 1K match this past Sunday, on the sighter shots my first shot was .5mils low and .5 mils to the right. Knowing that my reticle is FFP and true at any power setting, I just adjusted the knobs to what my reticle was tellimg me.

Had it been a SFP scope, I would have had to check to see if I was on the right power setting, yada yada.

Oh and yes, my reticle is very much usable on low power.

Oh and you seem to have a bias against FFP scopes, care to explain why? I read one of you posts in another optics thread stating that FFP scopes were dropped because the reticle got too small, and you didnt see what they are back now or some bullshit like that.

Care to explain the point of this thread?

i have always like them as i have used German scopes a lot. they have the ability to be used for holdovers at extreme ranges if you max your elevation out and the relationship to the reticle and power never changes if you use a sfp reticle and the powere is not exactly where you think it is you will be out and as you said the long shots are the ones that matter i am always using my Premier 5-25 reticle for holding off for with i usualy dial the elevation as close as possible and will work the windage where required mostly wind predominate eins and aim off the rest knowing that i does not matter what power i am on 1 mill= 1 mill simple. My pet hate is a MOA/Mill scope have it Moa/Moa or Mill/Mill and preferably Mill/Mill and FFP. I do have a Nightforce 2.5-10 for my hunting rifle on a 7mm Rem SAUM and i only range and shoot precision aiming on 10 power so it works but i would prefer it FFP aswell it is Mill/Mill though.

A better question might be - why do they still make SFP scopes when FFP scopes are available?

I've MILed IPSC silhouettes at 1420yrd (and been right) b/c it was greater than what my LFR could do. Next week I am going to have to MIL my shot which will be somewhere close to 1,575 yrds. While I have never ranged and confirmed by fire anything greater than 1,420 - I wouldn't be afraid to try something at a mile, and I bet I'd be pretty close.

The other thing about FFPs - when you run out of Elevation, dial the power back and use the MILs.

It is a step forward but I recognize it is a limited market. Then again - this site caters to those that are a part of that limited market.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot to a mile and if you error 5 yards it's a miss. You won't want to play with us 5 minutes if all you have is your Mil dot master or a ranging retical. </div></div>
This seems to be <span style="font-weight: bold">the</span> common misconception among those who see no need for FFP reticles. Once you realize that 90% of us who use them 90% of the time are not using the to "range stuff" it'll make more sense. Holding elevation, wind, leads....

Personally I do much better holding wind than dialing which is my 90% use. In the same other thread 1/2 a dozen people or so mention needing to dial down from max magnification due to mirage. Contemplate doing the two at the same time for a bit. That is but one example where using SFP sucks (for me, anyway).

OP, where are you getting your information from? Are you new to long range shooting... have you personally used a FFP scope and had the problems you mentioned? All my scopes are FFP now, I had some SFPs that I sold and couldn't imagine going back. Others have mentioned all the benefits, you may want to give one a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and you seem to have a bias against FFP scopes, care to explain why? I read one of you posts in another optics thread stating that FFP scopes were dropped because the reticle got too small, and you didnt see what they are back now or some bullshit like that.

Care to explain the point of this thread? </div></div>

Judging by his location, sig, and previous posts it seems he is a Leupold fan. Since Leupold is behind the times these days (especially when it comes to FFP offerings) I'm sure it is a sore spot for him.

Just got my first FFP (a used USO SN3 3.8-22 EREK 44mm). Went to the USO after a class where I got to try one out and get a feel for how FFP works and its advantages.

Initially, mounted it on an AR platform to try and get used to the new system and FFP. It won't live on the AR for long... the gun is horribly over-scoped. But the rapid drops and wind sensitivity of the 5.56 are going to let me get used to the FFP before I move to FFP on my .308 duty rifle.

Was shooting Sunday out to 300, in gusty winds, and mainly trying to get my head around the new reticle and FFP differences.

So far, I am very impressed. Moving from SFP to FFP is actually a new mindset (no more %$#@%ing math!). You simply shoot the reticle, no matter where it sits.

Awaiting delivery of a 5-25 T-Pal for my duty rifle. The 3.8-22 will likely find its way onto a Barrett (doesn't everyone need one). And doubt I'll ever look back on SFP scopes, no matter how well-built, as 'the good old days.' I am fully prepared to count myself as a convert.

Biggest challenge is getting my head around the amazing flexibility and capability of the EREK. Bigger question is... why doesn't everyone do EREK! Incredible engineering.

Cheers, Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and you seem to have a bias against FFP scopes, care to explain why? I read one of you posts in another optics thread stating that FFP scopes were dropped because the reticle got too small, and you didnt see what they are back now or some bullshit like that.

Care to explain the point of this thread? </div></div>

The part about FFP being dropped came from early scope literature anouncing new scopes that featured reticules that remained constant in size and stayed centered when adjusted. When I was younger I asked my dad about it and he said in the 40's when he bought his first scope he fought problems like fogging, off center reticals and later on reticals that got smaller as you dial them down. This is where that shit came from.

The point of this thread?

Sure, I have no real agenda but I do have an opinion about them based on my knowledge of them so far. I started the thread to find out more.

Do most of the people on here really need one or did they buy it because someone they respected use one? The reason I ask is I want to know the real answer. Are the majority of posters here for real operators that kill people regularly? I'm not, but am interested in long range shooting so some of the technology is shared. That is why I am here. To learn from those that know more.

Some of the guys in the group I shoot with has tried them and switched back to 2nd focal for the reason I threw out above. I looked through one of the new Leupolds I sold and thought, well if that's what he wants and let him have it. He had no need for it but read about it and wanted to try it. No problem with that I guess. I don't have anything against them other than cost and having one would make very little difference to me as I almost never turn my scope below 25 power. If they (squirrels or steel gongs) get that close I have my Glock 20 at the ready. I'm no sniper but I have friends that are or were and they dislike them for the reasons I said. On the lower powers they were hard to see especially in a low light situation when one would be dialed down. I know the good ones are lit up but we don't hunt or shoot after dark it so it is just another thing to go wrong and drives the cost up.

I didn't ask permission but here is a an excellent picture posted here by Mike @ CS Tactical. That shows one a TMR M5 Leupold turned down.
4649473900_2f504cc9ae.jpg

Thanks Mike and if this is an issue I will take it right down.

My closest 10” gong at 500 yards would barely be visible in that and using the retical to hold 9 MOA correction would be pretty hard. A 300 yards squirrel would never be seen in this picture. Starting to see my point of view. I like the idea of the NPR1 and would use that but I want it at full power.

A lot of new shooters come here looking to see what the big boys use and next thing I know is they think they need a 22 power Night Force FFP zero stop 20 MOA dials or Mil/ Mil on their 22 Hornet for shooting tree squirrels. It's getting to where they are now asking about S&B or USO for deer hunting because they read somewhere they track better. This is from guys that think shooting over 300 yards is unethical. It's their money and it makes them feel better then a guy should have it. I just don't need it for myself and question how many here really need one. That was the reason for the thread. It just seems like a waste of money for the guy like me that never turns it down or they are department LEO snipers that never go over 300 yards with their .308. Military and competition is way beyond me so bear with me on that.

I did a search and saw lots on, “here they are”, threads but can't seem to find any reasons that made me want to have one. I came here to learn and see if I was missing something so I thought I would ask those that do use them their opinions. I try to learn something everyday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just don't need it for myself and question how many here really need one. That was the reason for the thread. It just seems like a waste of money for the guy like me that never turns it down or they are department LEO snipers that never go over 300 yards with their .308. Military and competition is way beyond me so bear with me on that.

</div></div>

and there you have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just don't need it for myself and question how many here really need one. That was the reason for the thread. It just seems like a waste of money for the guy like me that never turns it down or they are department LEO snipers that never go over 300 yards with their .308. Military and competition is way beyond me so bear with me on that.

</div></div>

and there you have it. </div></div>

I missed the answer. I asked some questions and you started to help but that part is missing. What are you adding for me here?

Well if you dont need one, why the hell are you asking why we are using one? Why the hell do you care what we are using if what you are using is working so well for you?

Sorry but Im going to have to red flag this thread as a baiting thread much similar to PistonPetes CS threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

and there you have it. </div></div>

I missed the answer. I asked some questions and you started to help but that part is missing. What are you adding for me here? </div></div>

you will fail to see the FFP's full potential until you engage yourself in the kinds of shooting that requires one to use a FFP to its full potential.

Sounds to me like he has already made up his mind on the FFP vs. SFP debate and he is just fishing. Let it go.

I am not trolling or baiting nor do I understand why your so uptight about it. I really was looking to see if I was missing something. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of one that doesn't need one. I was just trying to learn something. I didn't figure I would get more than two or three replies.

Close it if you must.

Thank you Ewoaf, That actually makes sense but I haven't made up my mind. I was looking for more info. I guess I didn't realise so may people found them so useful which only makes me more interested in them. I believe this thread is maxed out and will just continue to read all I can about them.

only down side to FFP is if you choose a reticle that is difficult to use at low power. But that is the users fault for choosing that reticle.

There is no down side to illum reticle... i really wished my Gen2 XR lit on the X axis last weekend. Doing hold offs on a mover with a black shoot N see target is the suck... i turned it on in the day light to break the black on black reticle but it didnt illum out to the sides... was a 2 mil lead or so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I don't hear mentioned much is the size of the reticle.

On my IOR 3-18x44mm "Snipers Hide", the reticle is actually useable down as low as 3x, although the flip-side of that is that it's pretty thick up at 18x. Still OK though.

Contrast that to the 5-25x56mm Premier Heritage with the Gen 2 XR reticle. It's beautiful up at 25x, but the reticle is pretty small even on 10x and tiny @ 5x.

I haven't looked through the two side-by-side, but it's my understanding reticle of the Premier Heritage 3-15x on 15x is larger / thicker than the 5-25x on 15x. </div></div>

This is exactly why most companies dropped FFP scopes back in the 70's in favor of second focal plane scopes. I still don't understand why anyone would still fool with them now. I like my reticles fine and full sized all the time. Ranging with the reticle is useless at the distances I shoot at. </div></div>

Look familiar? Like I said, sounds like you have your mind made up on FFP scopes, which brings me back to my original question, WTF is the point of this thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The part about FFP being dropped came from early scope literature anouncing new scopes that featured reticules that remained constant in size and stayed centered when adjusted. When I was younger I asked my dad about it and he said in the 40's when he bought his first scope he fought problems like fogging, off center reticals and later on reticals that got smaller as you dial them down. This is where that shit came from.

The point of this thread?

Sure, I have no real agenda but I do have an opinion about them based on my knowledge of them so far. I started the thread to find out more.

Do most of the people on here really need one or did they buy it because someone they respected use one? The reason I ask is I want to know the real answer. Are the majority of posters here for real operators that kill people regularly? I'm not, but am interested in long range shooting so some of the technology is shared. That is why I am here. To learn from those that know more.

Some of the guys in the group I shoot with has tried them and switched back to 2nd focal for the reason I threw out above. I looked through one of the new Leupolds I sold and thought, well if that's what he wants and let him have it. He had no need for it but read about it and wanted to try it. No problem with that I guess. I don't have anything against them other than cost and having one would make very little difference to me as I almost never turn my scope below 25 power. If they (squirrels or steel gongs) get that close I have my Glock 20 at the ready. I'm no sniper but I have friends that are or were and they dislike them for the reasons I said. On the lower powers they were hard to see especially in a low light situation when one would be dialed down. I know the good ones are lit up but we don't hunt or shoot after dark it so it is just another thing to go wrong and drives the cost up.

My closest 10” gong at 500 yards would barely be visible in that and using the retical to hold 9 MOA correction would be pretty hard. A 300 yards squirrel would never be seen in this picture. Starting to see my point of view. I like the idea of the NPR1 and would use that but I want it at full power.

A lot of new shooters come here looking to see what the big boys use and next thing I know is they think they need a 22 power Night Force FFP zero stop 20 MOA dials or Mil/ Mil on their 22 Hornet for shooting tree squirrels. It's getting to where they are now asking about S&B or USO for deer hunting because they read somewhere they track better. This is from guys that think shooting over 300 yards is unethical. It's their money and it makes them feel better then a guy should have it. I just don't need it for myself and question how many here really need one. That was the reason for the thread. It just seems like a waste of money for the guy like me that never turns it down or they are department LEO snipers that never go over 300 yards with their .308. Military and competition is way beyond me so bear with me on that.

I did a search and saw lots on, “here they are”, threads but can't seem to find any reasons that made me want to have one. I came here to learn and see if I was missing something so I thought I would ask those that do use them their opinions. I try to learn something everyday. </div></div>

FFP scopes aren't optimum for everybody's needs, and FAR from optimum for most people's pocket book. If you're always trying to shoot small targets (squirrels) at 300 yards that are sitting still, they sure, you may not need to or want to dial your scope down. I don't know many people here that would shoot at a squirrel at 300 yards on the lowest magnification IF they were able to dial up, or unless they were just trying to prove they could do it. Most guys here would like to dial up their magnification on a smaller stationary target; there's a reason that most of their scopes dial up to 16x or higher. Oh and for the record, I don't know many guys here who would try to use a mil reticle to hold "9 MOA". There's a reason that most tactical guys like MIL/MIL scopes or MOA/MOA scopes, apparently you haven't quite gotten the difference between MIL/MIL and MIL/MOA scopes.

As others have said, for what you do, a FFP may not be much use to you. You ever tried to shoot at targets that are moving at 25x or higher? You ever tried to shoot at a coyote at a dead run in the 3 or 9 o'clock position (relative to you) at 100-300 yards at 25x? If you have, or do it often, then you SHOULD understand. Lots of guys here (myself included) are doing UKD shooting, and at movers or multiple targets at multiple ranges. In these type of situations, you don't have time to look at your scope power to see if it's on the magnification that the reticle is accurate at so that their hold over or lead is correct; you gotta shoot and make your corrections.

It would appear that almost every example you talk about, or for your customers, is related to 300 yards or less. It also sounds like it's at stationary targets (gongs, squirrels relaxing, etc) at a known distance. Any competent shooter could probably get the job done with Nikon Buckmaster, and lots of guys with a BSA if it would hold zero (big if, lol). The distances you are talking about aren't even CLOSE to the distances that these guys are shooting at, or the same situations (movers, UKD, quick follow ups, multiple targets, etc). It would appear that for your type of shooting, and lots of your customers, they don't really "need" a FFP scope, and probably won't utilize it. For the guys here, which is the minority of shooters, we know how to fully utilize these scopes and they fit OUR needs. Even if we don't "need" it, for some of the shooting some people might occasionally do, it may make things more convenient. Oh and I also assure you that lots of guys here could see and hit a 10" gong at 500 yards with their scopes dialed down to the lower power. We don't just hold over on a target either, we dial the correct distance and hold dead on; no need to have to try to figure out 9 MOA on a mil reticle.

I find the FFP reticle useful in more simplistic terms....
I don't have to think about what power magnification I am at, the reticle is always accurate....

I just shot my first match , and it was fun and challenging...
there was a stage where you had to shoot at 300 then 450, then 620, then back to 450 and 300, and it was timed...

Having the FFP reticle to hold instead of dial, and not having to remember what power you are on is a big advantage in my mind.

I am only out to 1000 yards, but the wind gusts here and is hardly ever constant, being able to make quick corrections for wind and send another round is important to me....

my $.02 from a recreational shooter....

I have a good handle on the different adjustments. I am most comfortable with MOA but since Exbal puts out in any of them I could easily switch back and forth. I would just be lost without my gadgets.

The closest I shoot much anymore with the 300 Wby and up is 500 yards. I'm intrigued with the idea of the cold bore shot and am happy to hit our stationary targets first shot at any distance beyond 500. I just got a new Lapua and have had first shot success on 12" steel at 1388 yards so far. We just found a new spot to set up at 1750 yards. That is our next objective. For groups and I know this is not Hide edicate but it was done years ago was 3" at 885 yards. I have been shooting with a LEO sniper recently and am working on bringing myself to shoot 5 to 10 shots rapid fire with no cooling period. I'm still learning.

What is UKD shooting? Is that unknown distant? I can't afford to waste our limited supply of components so I try to make everyshot count. I did this as a kid. A box of Stingers was 50 dead squirrels. I should probably add I had a scope on my first air rifle. Always looking for max advantage.

the other thing about the cost of a FFp over a SFP is usualy Quality the cheeper scopes can eb made in SFP and you cna get a mil dot i hate mil dots and like a Mil reticle with hash marks but that is me. so if you compare a USO FFP to a USO SFP scope is there any diference in cost?

You have to compare apples to apples the quality of the FFP scopes is usualy well above the cheeper SFP scopes and you will pay for the quality not the plane the scope is in except Nightforce they think it is worth an extra grand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the other thing about the cost of a FFp over a SFP is usualy Quality the cheeper scopes can eb made in SFP and you cna get a mil dot i hate mil dots and like a Mil reticle with hash marks but that is me. so if you compare a USO FFP to a USO SFP scope is there any diference in cost?

You have to compare apples to apples the quality of the FFP scopes is usualy well above the cheeper SFP scopes and you will pay for the quality not the plane the scope is in except Nightforce they think it is worth an extra grand.

</div></div>

USO doesn't make SFP scopes.

Owned both SFP & FFP.
Would only go back to SFP for a purpose built setup such as Bench Rest Competition.

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on why people use FFP, but I'll add mine since you're asking.

- After using SFP optics in competition in became abundantly clear to me that under stress,
myself and my team mates would routinely forget to change the power on the scope in order to range, hold off,
lead movers, or make follow up shot corrections.

- With this in mind, I cannot understand why anyone would make any optic in SFP that used a Mildot type reticule.
Simply put, the reticule is almost useless unless it is on the prescribed power setting.
Of course you always have the option of annotating what the values are at different power settings,
but that just injects additional steps & error into your firing solution.

- SOP for the majority of police snipers is not to take a shot over 100 yards unless a police officer is in eminent danger.
For this reason, it is very common for Police & SWAT snipers to user standard 4.5 - 14X SFP optics and a Duplex reticule.
In this application SFP makes more sense because the primary role of the police sniper is to observe
and a FFP optic with a Mildot reticule of any type would take up valuable real estate.

- AFAIK, all branches of the service have either migrated or are in the process of migrating to FFP optics for Sniper Weapons Systems.
(This does not include DMR / SDM systems.)
Why is this you may ask?
Well, it is the same reason that fixed 10X optics were used in the past.
K.I.S.S.

- As to the issue of the reticule being too big or too small, I personally have never found that to be a problem with quality optics.
Using a 4-14X or a 5-25X, I have been able to read and make use of the reticule for hold overs & correction at their lowest power.
Ranging on the other hand is only practical on the highest available power for the conditions. (Mirage)
For this reason, SFP optics are useless for ranging in heavy mirage because they typically must be on their max magnification to range.
The exception to this being SFP optics that use an intermediate 10X setting to achieve proper subtension.
(But of course that adds the issue of having it exactly at the right place.)

Everyone has their own preference and that is why there are as many options available as there are.
You asked, so there ya are.
Hope this info may be of some use to you.

Was using a FFP reticle (Gen II XR) to shoot prairie dogs out to 700 yds last weekend and didn't find the reticle to be obscuring even those tiny targets. And the ability to dial down & engage the same .mrad reticle wind hold was bonus...
Not saying that a FFP scope is ideal for p-dog shootin', just sayin' that it didn't hurt & maybe even helped my ability to hit them in the wind. For conversation...

Yuo dont need a FFP scope...feel better? For the type of shooting you do, a SFP Duplex would be prefered. Static shooter, static target, known range, no time limit and appearantly no mirage...I dont often shoot in those conditions, so I prefer FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only down side to FFP is if you choose a reticle that is difficult to use at low power. But that is the users fault for choosing that reticle.

There is no down side to illum reticle... i really wished my Gen2 XR lit on the X axis last weekend. Doing hold offs on a mover with a black shoot N see target is the suck... i turned it on in the day light to break the black on black reticle but it didnt illum out to the sides... was a 2 mil lead or so </div></div>

It'd be easier if the dots were a full .2 mils instead of the invisible .1 they made them. Same with the .025mil reticle. Reticle design is crucial in FFP optics.

I was slumming it at this same match with a SFP Nightforce. I had to make adjustments and do quick calcs on the fly to make things work with the SFP scope. Can't wait to go back to FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only down side to FFP is if you choose a reticle that is difficult to use at low power. But that is the users fault for choosing that reticle.

There is no down side to illum reticle... i really wished my Gen2 XR lit on the X axis last weekend. Doing hold offs on a mover with a black shoot N see target is the suck... i turned it on in the day light to break the black on black reticle but it didnt illum out to the sides... was a 2 mil lead or so </div></div>

It'd be easier if the dots were a full .2 mils instead of the invisible .1 they made them. Same with the .025mil reticle. Reticle design is crucial in FFP optics.

I was slumming it at this same match with a SFP Nightforce. I had to make adjustments and do quick calcs on the fly to make things work with the SFP scope. Can't wait to go back to FFP. </div></div>

You do a pretty good job at slumming it with SFP
grin.gif
wink.gif

Hired Gun- viewing your profile, I see you are a dealer and a firearms instructor and CRO (Chief range officer???)- and YOU DON'T KNOW? If that is the case,what exactly do you INSTRUCT?

And if you are a DEALER-What do you sell?

IMO,YOU SHOULD know this and not have to quiz us."Why all the interest in FFP scopes"

I agree with USMCj- you are just fishing.....

PS: you sig says you make "Leupold Affordable"- cost isn't the problem with Leupold-but that's another story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hired Gun- viewing your profile, I see you are a dealer and a firearms instructor and CRO (Chief range officer???)- and YOU DON'T KNOW? If that is the case,what exactly do you INSTRUCT?
</div></div>

I'm kind of wondering that too, I have found FFP to be preferable. I can see just going SFP on a lower power scope but on a higher one FFP is just easier especially for holdovers.

What do I teach?

It's a bit off topic, but since you asked, as a NRA CRSO I instruct and supervise Range Safety Officers for the local Boy Scouts. It is required that an NRA certified Range Safety Officer be present when boy scouts shoot. They must also be a RSO to be able to teach any of the shooting merit badges.

As an NRA instructor I teach firearm safety in the home. It's a very basic 4 hour class that is mainly about safe handling and care of firearms. No shooting. This course is recognised as the minimum certification for a concealed firearms license. I'm waiting on my basic pistol course for instructors so then I will be teaching the NRA basic pistol course the requires 8 hours of instruction and 400 rounds of shooting and a passing qualification score. It is mainly just to teach the new shooter how to shoot their personal firearm proficiently. It's not about any kind of self defense or any advanced ninja sniper stuff. This course is what the NRA recognizes as the basic for a concealed license. In the near future I look to add metallic reloading and basic rifle to my credentials.

I'm really surprised by the reception here and the suspicion that I have received on the very first thing I ever asked about here.

A perfect example of why I started this thread is there is another new member of the board asking about FFP on a hunting rifle. I am starting to get this question asked of me a lot more especially from people that hear about them on this forum. I know what FFP is and for but wanted to know more. I searched this forum and elsewhere on the topic. I couldn't find anything other than the mechanics of what FFP and second focal plan were I decided to ask here where people really did use them. What a mistake that turned out to be. I guess now since I wasn't lucky enough to be born with the knowledge, I'm a real stupid sum bitch for asking.

As far as what do I sell? I sell all manor of firearms (No NFA stuff), shooting supplies including optics, some LEO tactical gear at the best prices anywhere. I am also custom ammo manufacturer.

Maybe he's an Instructor on Pistols and is still learning on the long range shooting optics stuff.......just saying.

Then perhaps you should think about becoming a site sponsor before advertising your services in your sig line.

Just sayin.....

What do I teach?

It's a bit off topic, but since you asked, as a NRA CRSO I instruct and supervise Range Safety Officers for the local Boy Scouts. It is required that an NRA certified Range Safety Officer be present when boy scouts shoot. They must also be a RSO to be able to teach any of the shooting merit badges.

As an NRA instructor I teach firearm safety in the home. It's a very basic 4 hour class that is mainly about safe handling and care of firearms. No shooting. This course is recognised as the minimum certification for a concealed firearms license. I'm waiting on my basic pistol course for instructors so then I will be teaching the NRA basic pistol course the requires 8 hours of instruction and 400 rounds of shooting and a passing qualification score. It is mainly just to teach the new shooter how to shoot their personal firearm proficiently. It's not about any kind of self defense or any advanced ninja sniper stuff. This course is what the NRA recognizes as the basic for a concealed license. In the near future I look to add metallic reloading and basic rifle to my credentials.

I'm really surprised by the reception here and the suspicion that I have received on the very first thing I ever asked about here.

A perfect example of why I started this thread is there is another new member of the board asking about FFP on a hunting rifle. I am starting to get this question asked of me a lot more especially from people that hear about them on this forum. I know what FFP is and for but wanted to know more. I searched this forum and elsewhere on the topic. I couldn't find anything other than the mechanics of what FFP and second focal plan were I decided to ask here where people really did use them. What a mistake that turned out to be. I guess now since I wasn't lucky enough to be born with the knowledge, I'm a real stupid sum bitch for asking.

As far as what do I sell? I sell all manor of firearms (No NFA stuff), shooting supplies including optics, some LEO tactical gear at the best prices anywhere. I am also custom ammo manufacturer.

</div></div>

Hired gun, alot of industry types use this forum as a mouthpiece to subtly attempt to badmouth competitor products. I won't point anyone out in particular, but it seems to be a regular occurence.

With a Leupold salesman sticker in your tagline, and a post questioning the merits of several lines of scopes which do something better than Leupold it's only natural that everyone here would question your motives.

I think there's been more than adequate response in regards to your initial question, but I'll add my two cents for the sake of it.

I've had both SFP and FFP scopes. I was very confused initially about the difference, but at somepoint between Lowlight and Lindy continually drilling the concepts into my brain everything finally clicked and I decided to discard my SFP scope and purchase an FFP one.

I can say this, the SFP scope was fine for static shooting. However when the variable power starts to get utilized, and targets are rapidly changing engagement distances the possibility of making an error is increased significantly by the shooter.

The FFP is just simpler to operate. Combined with a matching turret adjustment/reticle setup you can very quickly adjust your fire to get right onto your target.

Again this could technically be done on an SFP scope, but the process is rife with possibilities for error that simply don't exist on an FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then perhaps you should think about becoming a site sponsor before advertising your services in your sig line.

Just sayin..... </div></div>

Also this. If you're going to advertise yourself you need to pay up here. No free meals around here unless you're looking for the type of free meal that involves lots of type-a's giving you a hard time
laugh.gif