• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are 300 Norma Factory Ammo Prices so high?

mike10

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2019
I want a 300 Norma barrel for my Barrett MRAD, but I hate how expensive brass is and more particularly, how expensive 300 Norma factory ammo is. What's the reason behind that?

I'm assuming low supply because of military contractual obligations but I'm sure there is more to it than that.

(1) New (Relative)
(2) More Brass = More $$
(3) Less Volume (aka not the case volume, the number of pieces sold)
(4) Demand/Competition: Lots want it, few have it.

Reactions: mike10
Everything is expensive these days. All started after Covid shut down.

Economics.

Supply & Demand
I was looking for a more detailed, helpful answer.

For example, what are some of the causal variables contributing directly to the supply/demand imbalance?

Covid, WWIII, and the fact that they are selling lots at inflated prices, so there's no need to increase production or lower prices.

Look at what has happened to primer prices, bullets, and powder in the last couple years. Cases have gone up a little too.

Just my humble opinion.

Someone has to say it ...

Why in the name of all that is holy, would you spend the money to buy a Barrett MRAD and a high-performance 300-Norma barrel, and then desecrate it by shooting factory ammunition.

Plead the 5th, and immediately go buy some Lapua brass, H1000 powder (79.2 grains), Berger 230 Hybid OTM's ... and build the ammunition that will give you results worthy of your MRAD.

Stop feeding crap to your baby ... and grow your own food.

I LOVE my MRAD, and would NEVER shoot factory ammunition through it. If I did, someone should take it away from me and beat me with it.

There ... I said it.

Why in the name of all that is holy, would you spend the money to buy a Barrett MRAD and a high-performance 300-Norma barrel, and then desecrate it by shooting factory ammunition.

Plead the 5th, and immediately go buy some Lapua brass, H1000 powder (79.2 grains), Berger 230 Hybid OTM's ... and build the ammunition that will give you results worthy of your MRAD.

I LOVE my MRAD, and would NEVER shoot factory ammunition through it. If I did, someone should take it away from me and beat me with it.

There ... I said it.
Makes me wonder do people buy stuff and not look how much it's going to cost to feed it?

There ... I said it.
Dumbest post of the day is awarded to...........

Lots of good factory ammo in Norma. BH, Berger, Sig ect. Its expensive because its very low volume round. Price should come down as it comes more mainstream as its the future of US sniping.

The MRAD is a factory gun not some uber custom with custom chamber that needs turned necks or other bullshit. Stop deluding yourself.

I assumed the whole post by @rustyinbend was tongue in cheek. If she doesn't run factory, she doesn't deserve hand loads.

@Bacarrat - doesn't hardly cost nothin' to put it in your safe and talk about it; worryin' about ammo costs is for them that actually shoot. ;-)

I assumed the whole post by @rustyinbend was tongue in cheek. If she doesn't run factory, she doesn't deserve hand loads.

@Bacarrat - doesn't hardly cost nothin' to put it in your safe and talk about it; worryin' about ammo costs is for them that actually shoot. ;-)
Correct ... tongue planted firmly in cheek.
While I build my own cartridges, I shoot factory ammo on occasion, but never in competition.

I was looking for a more detailed, helpful answer.

For example, what are some of the causal variables contributing directly to the supply/demand imbalance?
7C09BCA0-79E1-4FBE-A57F-89E3D06C22A4.png

Reactions: Silvan and mike10

There ... I said it.
I mean I don't disagree, but not everyone is seasoned reloader, and sometimes it's nice to go snag a box or two of factory ammo and go shooting with friends and family.