• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Why are barrels usually cut on an even number?

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
Is there a reason for barrels mostly being 16", 18", 20" etc. rather than say..17", 19", 21"? Just curious.

Re: Why are barrels usually cut on an even number?

It makes spin drift calculations easier.

j/k
No reason. Most like even numbers. I have a 21 inch though.

It depends on the caliber, twist, and the workup loads.
Each caliber has a distance that ALL the powder(again depends on the powder) will be burnt within the barrel to get more bullet speed and less unspent powder.

By the way,,,I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a 21 inch though. </div></div>

That's odd.

All the odd length barrels are sent to Europe.

Even lengths work better in Mils and odd in MOA...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the odd length barrels are sent to Europe.

</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even lengths work better in Mils and odd in MOA...</div></div>

LMFAO !!!

On a more serious note...the reduction in barrel length in factory barrels had a cost-effectiveness reasoning. If you can sell 22 inch barrels for the same caliber and cost of 24 inch barrel, every 12 barrels you get one free. 26 inch used to be a common factory length. For every 6 you get one free.

What most shooters would call a 'competent' smith have no idea of the odd gene they all possess! They can do 2 4 6 8 etc but are totally F'ed if they are forced to 3 5 7 9 etc.

Tan man,

You might want to read a little further. Even or odd length barrels are a generality. Something a shooter can picture in his mind if being told about a barrel. Hardly any barrels are exactly an even number of inches nor an odd number. Look at some of the vendors on this site who sell either barrels, uppers, or whole rifles. You'll see a bunch of 19.5's, 21's, 25.5's and 27's for sale, as well as the many even length stocks. It's just something to give the shooter a close approximation of the barrel length.
Typically you see 27's for sale because that's the closest number to the longest barrel of what you can finish out of a standard 28" blank. A very common length blank.

I had to register as an SBR......
cry.gif

Haha, okay. Thanks for the jokes guys. And the serious replies as well. I know that you can get barrels in odd lengths, I just see 20, 22, 24 and 26 in. a lot more often than anything else when it comes to bolt guns. I have the standard 26" on my 700P, and didn't know if it would matter if I picked an odd number to cut and thread it to.

The one about the odd lengths being sent to europe got me, by the way.

I get some customers who are very into shooting and they ask for an odd length barrel, meaning 25's or 27's. I think the factory uses even #'s as that is what the public is used to seeing / asking for.

Maybe their working length tolerance is +/- 1.00", so when remington does give you a 23" barrel it's within their 24 or 22" versions.

What I find funny is say you have a 20" barrel, and it's chambered in .308 which has a COAL of 2.800 that means your actually pushing that bullet through 17.2" of barrel. Something along those lines I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcnpthfndr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">both my CZ's are just over 25.5" </div></div>

Metric system likes even numbers too...probably a 650mm length barrel.

my rock barrel is just a hair over 23"... cause that was what the blank finished out at when I told my smith to make it as long as he can before threading the brake on. He found a spot an inch inside the end with a scope he didn't like, so he cut it just behind that spot to eliminate it...

Dennis you're right. If I'm measuring something and it comes to 1.873 I'll just beat the shit out of it with a 24oz ball peen until it measures 1.88. Makes life so much easier.

Seriously though until a customer specifies it, I just just will finish it out at an even number forward of the recoil lug. Although if you add the shank length it'll come out odd