• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are e precision rifles are usually single stack magazine?

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Was looking at precision rifles yesterday and noticed all I looked at were single stack only and most were AICS type.

How much difference is there in accuracy with single vs double stack, or is it something else?

Any education appreciated.

It's easier to tune a rifle to feed from a single stack setup. There's plenty of custom actions that can use the AW double stack magazines. A lot of people will say "Just buy an AI."

Me, I'm people.

Reactions: Huckmeat and TXAZ
    Was looking at precision rifles yesterday and noticed all I looked at were single stack only and most were AICS type.

How much difference is there in accuracy with single vs double stack, or is it something else?

There is absolutely zero difference in accuracy.

I'm taking an educated guess that AI designed the AICS magazine to be single feed so that the top of the magazine could slide into the bottom of the receiver past the action's original feedlips which are machined as part of the opening under the action.

The magazine box of both ADL and BDL versions of the 700 has no feedlips.

ETA: many AICS-pattern magazines are double column, single feed like handgun magazines.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TXAZ
    Buy AW cut receiver, use AW or AICS.

Or... why worry about what magazine you have. If it hangs low or not... literally has no impact on precision shooting. If you're taking your custom rifle hunting, just use a 5 round magazine. You aren't going to need 10 rounds hunting... unless your shooting varmints (and then just use a semi). :)

AICS Mags basically set the standard of reliability... kind of in the same sense AI did for Precision Rifles. Want a mag that just works? get and AI mag. want a precision rifle that works in any condition, and you can just hose off in your tub? Get an AI.... don't believe me? instagram stalk @The Durk .

With that being said, I myself GREATLY prefer the AW mags... very glad they used them for the AI AT.

I‘d guess that it is because the AICS mag is single stack. AI set the bar, even if that mag kinda sucks. I mean, the follower is a complete joke. Compared to a SR-25 mag, the AICS mag is a turd. The only thing it has going for it is that it allows longer bullet seating.

It's because everyone bitches about companies using the same tired designs but then bitches new designs cost too much. So it's easier to use AICS mags instead of making something better.

3 lug vs 2 lug

Accuracy International was the original 700 Chassis system and the AICS differed from the AW magazine partly because of the bolt.

They single fed the 700 System down the middle from a single stack magazine, the AW has a 3 lug bolt and could grab the rounds more reliably from both sides so you had the ability to shorten the magazine.

Back early on before they started cutting Actions for AW magazines, if the bedding job was not perfect and square, an AW magazine could dip a side and not pick up rounds. The tuning that was done after and over the last several years has increased reliability from AW Magazines but lots of things were modified vs the original Chassis systems for 700 Systems