• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why are lee presses so cheap?

rollover610

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
OryGun
hey guys. was just looking into getting a new press and was wondering why lee's are so much cheaper then everything else? are they bad? i mostly load 308 and maybe 223.

Re: why are lee presses so cheap?

Most everything I have bought from Lee has broke. Not a fan. Buy RCBS, hornady, wilson, ect.

You get what you pay for. You can buy an entire lee set-up for what I paid for my press alone

Some people love them but not me. 2 year warranty. RCBS HAS always replaced 100%

I've reloaded lots of pistol rounds on a lee press with no problems. I've started loading rifle on it also with no problems. The rifle ammo is way better than what I've bought (mostly Hornady 168GR match stuff). Maybe it's the brass prep work I'm doing that makes it better. But the Lee press has held up fine for me. I've owned it since 1993. Maybe I got a good one, it was preowned by a friend and I got his whole setup when he stepped up to a Dillon Progressive station. However I'm buying all my new stuff or stuff I needed to prep brass in RCBS and will buy a RockChunker so I can load rifle and pistol chambering without changing out everything. I think that would make it easier for me to reload what I need to shot the comp.'s I go to. IE.. rifle and pistol matches.

Lee single stage presses arent bad, but stay away from their progressive stuff, right out of the box the pro 1000 fed primers upside down, locked up one me, bullet seater was a joke, case feeders with collator was supposed to load cases into the tubes right side up- not always, their instructions on assembly lack they have dedicated a large portion of the website to adding to them and troubleshooting their presses. when i contacted them about the problems i was having they told me to "slow down and learn the nuances of the machine, stagger the rate of the lever to the stage of loading and be patient." Just a ridiculous headache, i just got rid of mine, still use the dies powder measure and scale though, but bought a dillon 650 for my high volume stuff

I just got the Lee Breech Lock Challenger set to get me started reloading. I can tell that the single stage "O" press is sturdy and accurate and will probably stay on my bench for a while. All of the other accessories will need to be replaced/upgraded incrementally though as they are cheap(ish) or slow.

A good way to get you going I'd say.

yeah i already have an RCBS that works well enough for me but is old as eff. was a hand me down from a great uncle. just didn't know if i could upgrade for a decent price. also will the quick change sleeves work in my current press?

The only Lee product I have is a Classic Cast Press. But, it's the bomb! Solid aa a rock, built like a tank with zero problems. I use Forster dies with it.

However, on my next supply order I plan on adding a Lee decapping die for grunt work.

I wouldn't mind picking up a Lee Classic Loader Kit for my .06. Something about using a hammer for reloading just seems tough!

Glad this thread came up. I have been looking into getting a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press to start my way into reloading. Wasn't sure about it though as the reviews on Midway were all good but there were a bunch of complaints about the primer system. A bunch of the reviews said just to get a hand primer. Maybe I'll shop around a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thumper_6119</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking into getting a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press to start my way into reloading.</div></div>
I was looking at the same thing, but I ended up going with a Hornady LNL Classic kit, it might be more money, but the press just feels more solid, and it comes with a hand primer and other fun things. Just better overall IMO.
Hope that helped a bit.

Personally man, I had one and wasn't impressed... It just felt shakier than the RCBS press I own. Almost like the tolerances weren't specific enough, granted RCBS isn't perfect but it just feels like a much stronger press. Plus Lee doesn't offer a lifetime warranty with theirs. Go buy a used RCBS, you can get em for 60-75% of the new value in most cases.

Edit** Lol, guy above me pretty much posted the same thing while I was typing this.

I think Lee makes a lot of good stuff. Most of it us an excellent value for the money. Of course there is better stuff out there, but I'd rather spend the money on components to load than equipment.

I do have a Dillon progressive, but as far as my rifle stuff goes, my lee single stage would do just fine and make just as good of ammo.

Lee makes cast iron/steel presses as well as alum. alloy presses. So does RCBS. Hornady's LnL presses are alum. alloy. Of course no alum. alloy press can stand up to user abuse like a heavier steel one but be fair about the comparisons. If I had to replace my Rock Chucker tomorrow it would be with a Lee Classic Cast. Alum presses can be broken but no one "breaks" Lee's steel presses. Seems those who are unfamilar with machinery in general or don't understand how/why certain things need to be done in specific ways NEED steel presses and they should NOT get an alum. type, of any make.

Lee designs and markets their gear to the "average" reloader, not the guys who pump out tens of thousands of round a year. Just a differnt market, like Chevy and Caddy, if you wnat to pay for a Caddy do it, but it really won't do much more than a Chevy, will it?

If you are, or expect to be an average reloader, Lee tools will serve most people well at nominial expense and will last as long as they live doing it. Individually, Lee's tools aren't the top of the line in anything, on average (except maybe their dies, they are as good as anyone's if measured by the ammo produced). Thing is, ALL of it works IF the user isn't a klutz and it gives very good value for the buck.

NO brand has a lock on making better stuff across the board than any other brand. I buy by feature but it takes a long time and some experience with various brands/models to learn what works better for an individual. Spending a lot on equipment at first doesn't make anyone a better reloader, that takes care, experience and understanding more than anything else. A good loader can make good ammon on most anything, poor loaders can't make good ammo on anything.

RCBS/Dillon charges for the great support with the initial purchase price, it's not free at all. If you take care of your tools and don't use all those "free" replacement parts, you just paid for others. Lee takes proper care of manufactoring defects but not user abuse twenty years down the road. Thus, they can sell for much less than RCBS and Dillon, etc, no secret about that. There really ain't much to wear out in most reloading gear anyway.

IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bella10FCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys. was just looking into getting a new press and was wondering why lee's are so much cheaper then everything else? are they bad?</div></div>
Lee's stuff is cheaper because it's cheaply made.

Lee is the low cost producer. This means that their equipment is sold at a price at which no one can compete and stay in business. Every facet of their business necessarily is influenced. In return, they have no competition in their market segment (those who buy on price alone). Lee has a few designs that are proprietary and garner other segments' business. Generally, people buying on utility, that is, those concerned with the tool's capability and longevity, will buy other brands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have an RCBS that works well enough for me but is old as eff. was a hand me down from a great uncle. just didn't know if i could upgrade for a decent price. also will the quick change sleeves work in my current press?</div></div>
You don't say which RCBS press you have, but if it has a removable bushing with 1 1/4" x 12 threads, the LnL bushings can be adapted.

If the ram is tight in the bore of your press and the press doesn't have an inherent alignment problem, it should produce accurate ammo. Check your production for run-out; it will answer that question. If you don't have an aluminum press and do have a loose ram, contact RCBS; they may be able to correct it with no charge to you. (An aluminum press isn't worth trying to fix.)

And, if you do need a new press, look at the Redding line. Their stuff is very well made. Their <span style="font-style: italic">Big Boss II</span> can be adapted for the LnL bushings and has a very nice primer disposal feature. The smaller <span style="font-style: italic">Boss</span> is convenient if you're not reforming brass or loading long magnums; I prefer it for the shorter rounds.

My Lee classic press with a collet die will give me less than .001 runout if my prep is right, just the fact it won't make my hard work any worse.

They make these cast presses out of used railroad tracks, guess thay have a plentiful supply. I never use the priming system on the presses, get a Lee hand priming tool and watch some TV with your safety glasses on of course then go back to the press.

The 4-hole turret works great for my 9MM stuff, I don't run crazy volumes so it's no big deal...if I had to buy a progressive press it would be the Hornady LNL w/ casefeeder, or if I had the coin a Harrels turret would be nice in place if the Lee.

It's definately the cheaper way to get into reloading, their good stuff is great, the lesser is generally not worth buying twice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the lesser is generally not worth buying twice. </div></div>Fascinating. Can you expand on the logic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the lesser is generally not worth buying twice. </div></div>Fascinating. Can you expand on the logic? </div></div>

I think he means "buy once, cry once"

Like all tools, you pay more for a quality piece that lasts your lifetime and is backed by a good warranty,
then you can just take it for granted....

I've read Lee's newer single stage presses are much better built. Unfortunately they built a solid reputation as a "low-end" manufacturer. I once threw a Lee progressive in a swamp; couldn't sell it and sleep at night.

The cheapest is seldom the least expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the lesser is generally not worth buying twice. </div></div>Fascinating. Can you expand on the logic? </div></div>

I think he means "buy once, cry once" </div></div>

Thought it made sense.

I know one of the top bullet swagers uses lee cast presses, why because there perfectly aliened. Nothing wrong with lee cast presses, I'd buy one before a rcbs or redding or hornady.

I load match ammo on my three hole turret press, .308 an .223. I have been very happy with it and don't feel like I need anything else. I also have their C press for pulling bullets. I don't us the primer system either, their hand held priming tool works great. Also the Factory Crimp Die is IMHO the best out there. Now if I ever step up to a progressive it will be a Dillon....

rcbs rock chucker supreme is truely supreme! no shake slop in the massice ram at all!! the lyman presses are nice for the money. i have the t mag II and the crusher II. both are really good. go to mid south shooters supply for the best price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought it made sense. </div></div>
It's just an interesting statement. The way I read it, it has to be bought the first time before someone would buy it again. As in, "If the first one didn't work/last (pick one), why buy a second one?" As a response, in the case of the collet die, for instance, there's only one source. On the other hand, if it's crap, why buy it the first time?

I hear ya.

I figure the collet die gets tossed around alot and gets good write ups, as well as the classic single stage press, rest is really hit or miss but will get the job done, their handgun dies have never given me a hiccup.

I think alot of people get attracted by the very low cost and figure it has to work and most of their stuff does. Just one of those companies that the known goodies are just really good, you can spend the $$$ once if you like on the rest and will probably work for years and years but likely with frustration, so I would opt for the nicer Reddings or Forester.

I understand what you mean by "If it's crap, why buy the first time" just with Lee alot of their stuff isn't, however I put more trust in other companies knowing a great majority of their products won't give you headaches.

I have one of their "O" frame presses that I use for resizing (specifically mil 5.56), and I haven't had a problem with it. In fact, I have used it (along with a Lee FL sizer) to resize literally thousands of 5.56 ammo without issue. Their factory crimp die is the industry standard, and their collet neck dies have a very strong following.

Are there better products available? Possibly, but it depends on what you mean "better". Some have had good luck with their products, while others have not.

I bought there pro 1000 to load .45 on and probably have 15,000 reloads on it in the last 2 years. Finally sent it back in to get refurbed last month and they had it back to me in a week and it runs like new again.

at 95 bucks shipped to your door it is unbeatable for that.

I also load .308 on the classic cast press, works great and ammo loaded on it has been as or more accurate than the blackhills and FGMM i shot before.

The Lee Challneger Press is a good deal, I still use mine set up with a universal decapper. It was my only press for 5 years. I have upgraded to a Hornady Lock'n'Load.

I was going to buy a collet die yesterday since my friend's give him the least amount of runout of any sizer. However, when I opened up the box and examined the dies, the machining was atrocious. Very rough, parts did not slide freely that should. I would not buy a Lee anything by mail. I have lee stuff, but I always hand pick it at the store since it's hit and miss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought there pro 1000 to load .45 on and probably have 15,000 reloads on it in the last 2 years. Finally sent it back in to get refurbed last month and they had it back to me in a week and it runs like new again.</div></div>

Fourteen-year old 650. Average of 20K per year. Replaced a couple of springs. Returned to Dillon a few months ago. They replaced a couple of parts with the updated versions. Another quarter million rounds and I'll send it in again.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Why are Lee presses so cheap ?</span>

Because they are worth it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with lee cast presses, I'd buy one before a rcbs or redding or hornady. </div></div>
I was given one as a present by someone who spends a lot of time on the web. I don't think he'd ever seen one. I returned it to MidWay; traded it on a Redding. Cost me $20 in shipping to get rid of it. All in all, probably p!$$ed away $35 in buying the wrong piece from the wrong place.

Although it's been said differently, besides being made of cheap materials, the Lee stuff also has high variation. It may go unnoticed in a lot of applications, but it's there.