• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why are my USO rings not closed all the way?

9mmkungfu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
VA
I just picked up a set of USO 30mm low rings to use with my USO SN-3. The front rings are fully closed, but the rear rings have a very slight gap on both sides.

What am I doing wrong, or is this normal? I've never experienced it before as my rings have always closed up completely.

Re: Why are my USO rings not closed all the way?

If they're fully closed then you cranked the shit out of 'em. Torque them to 15 in lbs.

They should have a gap on both sides...... You should try to make this gap even as possible on both sides.... Remember to torque to INCH pds not Foot pds!!! as SavageStag said you prolly cranked the shit out of em

I didn't crank down very hard on the front rings; I saw the little card that said 15 inch pounds. Hmm. So, there may be something wrong with the front rings?

I had several sets of uso rings at one time, and they all had different gaps when used. It seems that the top half of the rings are never the exact same. No worries though, just torque down to specs and use.

I would change rings like ASAP!!

If you torqued to specs then it shouldnt be an issue go Shoot, Theres multiple articles online here that talk about mounting scopes in various ways. I prefer to use feeler gauges. W.e way you choose is up to you.

Thanks everyone. I'll try flipping the top and see what happens.

To be clear, flip the top on the ring that is flush, because it shouldn't be flush?

Ok, I swapped the tops, flipped them around, neither made a difference. One ring has a gap, one does not. This is without bolting them down at all.

One average, I have about .025" or so of a gap between the rings. It can be a little more or less sometimes. I constantly check them and balance everything out with a feeler gauge and torgue wrench set at 15 in lbs. 15 in lbs is not that much torque, but that it all it takes. If you are worried about screws backing out, use some Locktite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I swapped the tops, flipped them around, neither made a difference.</div></div>

If you swapped the tops front to back and vise versa, and the front still has no gap while the rear does (as before), then I'd venture to say it is either the scope tube or the bottom rings that's the problem.

Is it an issue if I ran it this way? There is a slight gap on one ring, and no gap on another. Switching did not help.

I wouldn't. No gaps between the rings most likely means that that ring is not tight on the tube itself, which means the rear ring (with the gap showing) is really the only one holding your scope.

op, dont use those rings, they will RUIN your scope, send the rings to me. I can dispose of them for you properly so they dont hurt any scopes, I will go through all the trouble for no charge.

ubet

Simply milling or even filing the flats on the ring that close up will create a gap for you so the ring will tighten up.

IMO, you shouldn't have to mill or file on a set of $210 rings. ... If you're sure you didn't torque 'em too hard and flipping them around isn't working, I'd be sending them back for a trade.

<span style="color: #000099"> </span> <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Holy Shit</span></span></span>

face-palm-300x300-150x150.jpg

PM John, if the OP didn't realize it, JBW#3 is the owner of USO

I noticed this on my rings too but, wasn't overly concerned. I properly mounted the scope and verified screw torque with 3 different wrenches just to be sure and could clearly see that it was secure. I thought about bustin a few rounds through it to check but couldn't get to the range.

Why don't you prove to yourself the condition of ring in question by securing per the instructions with that ring only and see just how secure it is or isn't.

Torque to spec, don't worry if they are tight and don't move, there should be slight gap but your scope could have variation in diameter as well.

I filed a set of rings after I got too ambitious during the lapping phase. Of course, these weren't expensive rings nor an terribly expensive scope (IOR 6X42). That scope stayed mounted for 5 years and held its zero from year to year. Of course, this wasn't a well-used tactical rig, it was a 12 gauge slug gun. I probably fired 100 rounds through it over the 5 years I had it. If you've never fired a 3.5" 12 gauge slug you're missing a treat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
PM John, if the OP didn't realize it, JBW#3 is the owner of USO</div></div>

Do this.

Carefully measure the diameter of your scope's tube and if it's correct (1", 30mm, 35mm,...) then send the rings back to USO with a note.