• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are Proof Carbon Fiber barrels superior to Christensen? BSF? Dracos?

LilGucci

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
Rarely do I hear a high-end build on youtube or on these forums mention with excitement that their AR build features a Christensen carbon fiber barrel. Instead, the majority of the time, I only hear of Proof Research as being the quality choice. I know Christensen has been getting a lot of bad rep in the last 2 years, and most of their guns are on discount at most online stores, but are their carbon fiber barrels also inferior to other offerings, namely Proof Research?

And amongst the AR-10/AR-15 Precision Rifle community, where does BSF and Dracos barrels stand?

Here is an image of the most popular barrels used by precision bolt action rifle users in the NRL/PRS, and next to Bartlein at the top, and ahead of Rock Hill, Krieger, and Benchmark is Proof Research. And nowhere to be found are Dracos, BSF, or Christensen. Are these 3 other offerings just gimicky or not truly sub-moa? Not only is Proof the top carbon fiber choice for PRS/NRL, it's also the top choice amongst those spending on a high-end or light-weight AR build, and I would like to know why that is. I really want a Dracos, BSF, and Christen barrels for different builds I'm doing but what does the community think of them vs. Proof Research?

Attachments

• MostPopularBarrels.png
    MostPopularBarrels.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,966
Reactions: SmithM21
Rarely do I hear a high-end build on youtube or on these forums mention with excitement that their AR build features a Christensen carbon fiber barrel. Instead, the majority of the time, I only hear of Proof Research as being the quality choice. I know Christensen has been getting a lot of bad rep in the last 2 years, and most of their guns are on discount at most online stores, but are their carbon fiber barrels also inferior to other offerings, namely Proof Research?

And amongst the AR-10/AR-15 Precision Rifle community, where does BSF and Dracos barrels stand?

Here is an image of the most popular barrels used by precision bolt action rifle users in the NRL/PRS, and next to Bartlein at the top, and ahead of Rock Hill, Krieger, and Benchmark is Proof Research. And nowhere to be found are Dracos, BSF, or Christensen. Are these 3 other offerings just gimicky or not truly sub-moa? Not only is Proof the top carbon fiber choice for PRS/NRL, it's also the top choice amongst those spending on a high-end or light-weight AR build, and I would like to know why that is. I really want a Dracos, BSF, and Christen barrels for different builds I'm doing but what does the community think of them vs. Proof Research?

None of the top shooters are using carbon wrapped barrels, all those Proof barrels being used in PRS are the stainless steel offerings.

Also, Proof barrels are cut rifled. I don’t think any of the other CF wrapped options are.. so probably why they’re so popular. Proof makes a very high quality barrel.. as said though, very few people are using carbon fiber wrapped barrels in competition. Weight is a good thing in a match rifle, and the top shooters are burning thru barrels so fast that running CF barrels would be way too expensive for no gain in accuracy at all and a rifle which is harder to shoot due to lower weight..
Main application for CF wrapped barrels is hunting, not precision competition..

I think CF wrapped barrels are used a little bit in 3 gun though..

As far as Carbon Fiber goes PROOF has the best reputation. They were the first to do it and have probably perfected the method with what we have now materials and technology wise. I don't have experience with any others but as you said, they have had their issues. It's more of a crap shoot with the "other" brands and for me it's not worth adding another variable.

FWIW my proof hunting build is shooting really well, I'm very pleased. I'm tempted to throw one on my AI just to lighten it up a bit, weight may be good for PRS barricades but I enjoy a handy, accurate rifle.

Reactions: LilGucci
BSF is carbon sleeved with an air gap. Totally different than the others. That being said, I have a Grendel that shoots very well.
I have one carbon six in a 6.5 prc and it’s a one hole gun. I have another one in its way here today for another ul build.
Is proof better? I don’t know. I’ve had two proof carbon rifles and they both shot as well as the carbon six.
On the steel side, proof barrels are hard to beat. My old company use to use them as a first choice. Bartlein was our only other offering unless the customer requested another brand, negating our accuracy guarantee.
I never had a proof steel that didn’t shoot in the .1 or less.
Keep in mind, a proof carbon is simply a turned down and filled proof steel.
Now that in mind, in my safe I have barrels from proof, carbon six, kreiger, hawk hill and Bartlein. All shoot exceptionally well.

Gotta run. There’s a lizard in the house.

I got a CA10 barrel on sale for $550 a few years ago. Had the price been similar to Proof's I'd have gone with them instead. I don't have a ton of rounds though it but it shoots very well. A lightweight rifle on the other hand is more difficult and I have to wonder how often it's what's at the root of CA's reported problems. I can't offer any technical details on the differences in the carbon wrapping between Proof and CA but based on what I've seen from the barrel that I have I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rifle from CA actually I've been tempted by the MPR I just don't need the rifle.

I use proof for carbon barrels on hunting guns because I don’t trust Christensen. Now, I’ve never been burned by them, I’m simply scared away by poor reviews from people that own their stuff. If I wasn’t going to buy a proof I would look at hells canyon armory because mike sources good blanks from good companies and I trust him after talking to him and reading many happy customers. These are all for hunting guns, a carbon barrel on a prs gun is nonsense.

Cut rifled is a current fad, I have no issues with it and my last 4 barrels have been cut, it’s a fine process. However, walk down a line of 1k yard BR rigs and see all the Broughton and Hart buttons and try to act like they won’t shoot. Good barrel makers make good barrels.

I’ll post the article when I get home. A fella did a comparison of fluted SS barrel vs unfluted vs Proof CF.. the Proof CF barrel to my surprise did seem to cool down faster than the other 2.. HOWEVER, the Proof barrel got way hotter to begin with.. 180 degrees vs 150-something for the unfluted and 160-something for the fluted. After 10 minutes, the unfluted was down to like 105, the fluted was at like 125, and the CF wrapped barrel was like 127 degrees.. so to be sure, it appears Proof has somehow turned what’s usually an insulator and got it to dissipate heat quite well, but the steel liner is so light that it gets way hotter to begin with.
I’d love to see the results of a test with just the steel liner without the CF wrapping vs the CF wrapped barrel, as well as a chrome moly barrel thrown in to see if the different steel has any effect..

I use proof for carbon barrels on hunting guns because I don’t trust Christensen. Now, I’ve never been burned by them, I’m simply scared away by poor reviews from people that own their stuff. If I wasn’t going to buy a proof I would look at hells canyon armory because mike sources good blanks from good companies and I trust him after talking to him and reading many happy customers. These are all for hunting guns, a carbon barrel on a prs gun is nonsense.

Cut rifled is a current fad, I have no issues with it and my last 4 barrels have been cut, it’s a fine process. However, walk down a line of 1k yard BR rigs and see all the Broughton and Hart buttons and try to act like they won’t shoot. Good barrel makers make good barrels.
Broughtons in particular, they’re just as popular with the Pennsylvania 1000yd BR boys as the Kriegers.. apparently Broughton has the stress relief process very well understood, and their barrels seem to be consistently fast shooters(high MV), I’d reckon due to the land/groove dimensions used..

They were the first to do it and have probably perfected the method with what we have now materials and technology wise.

Hi,

Well that is not completely true.

Mike Degerness (sp) back when he was ABS (IIRC--cannot remember with certainty of his companies name) was doing it long before Proof...there was a reason he was "absorbed" into Proof......He had figured the epoxy situation out while others we still having issues with carbon fibers coming unwrapped.

Sincerely,
Theis

As far as Carbon Fiber goes PROOF has the best reputation. They were the first to do it and have probably perfected the method with what we have now materials and technology wise. I don't have experience with any others but as you said, they have had their issues. It's more of a crap shoot with the "other" brands and for me it's not worth adding another variable.

FWIW my proof hunting build is shooting really well, I'm very pleased. I'm tempted to throw one on my AI just to lighten it up a bit, weight may be good for PRS barricades but I enjoy a handy, accurate rifle.
Christensen predates Proof by 20 years at least.

Christensen sewed up their bad reputation a long time ago. They’re probably doing better now than they ever were. Proof started off well and doesn’t have a few decades worth of stepping on their crank.

Famous words of a Christensen owner “This thing was shooting great yesterday!”

I have 11 proof barrels. All are fantastic. Just plain epic.

I had exactly 1 Christensen AR barrel. ar10, 308. It did not shoot.

Upon checking headspace with 2 bolts, both closed on the NO-GO gauge. We were told that if it didn’t close on a FIELD gauge I could eat shit.

Was this recent? That sounds like their old shenanigans.

I have been to both Proof and Christensen and there is really no comparing the level of quality

Proof is a better barrel

Being behind the scenes will really illuminate who is doing what and why, Christensen recently got a button pull rifling machine, prior they just used take-off barrels and turned them down. The quality of work before and after is very important and it's just not there with CA, contrast that with Proof and the teams working in that shop are at the top of their game.

I have been to both Proof and Christensen and there is really no comparing the level of quality

Proof is a better barrel

Being behind the scenes will really illuminate who is doing what and why, Christensen recently got a button pull rifling machine, prior they just used take-off barrels and turned them down. The quality of work before and after is very important and it's just not there with CA, contrast that with Proof and the teams working in that shop are at the top of their game.
X2.. even if Proof just made regular SS barrels only, they’d still be as popular as Bartlein, Krieger, etc and all you gotta do is look at all the PRS guys using standard Proof SS barrels like the chart above shows.
It’d be nice tho if Proof offered more options tho, ie non-contoured 1.250 blanks.. 4-groove & 5-groove & 5R,etc.. .236 and .237 bore 6mm barrels, and so on.

Here's my CA10 barrel 3/5 round groups with 175gr FGMM I'm certain I pulled the shot to right in the bottom right group. As I said I don't have a ton of rounds through that upper and I don't have a target to show without a pulled shot. I've got a couple of Proof's Carbon barrels for the AX that I haven't shot yet I'd planned to get them and the CA10 barrel out and compare them that I hope they this well. For the $550 I got the CA10 barrel for I'll take this accuracy all day.
20180430_114454.jpg

:ROFLMAO: Their reputation is entirely earned! I cannot tell you how many times that, or something very similar, has been said to me.

I didn't dispute CA's reputation but what does CA's reputation have to do with you being a wise ass?

I don't ever recall Proof barrels being mocked on this site by anyone that used one... maybe when they first hit the market, naysayers always come out early to attack, but I was up there touring their facility and using their barrels pretty early on and never had an issue.

Only those who bought in the PRB article might have said something but that was a total hit job and not something I would take seriously.

I have a couple of their barrels and they are all shooters,

Heres the article I mentioned earlier..
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/hammer-forged-rifle-barrels/328799

Results are pretty surprising to me honestly... common wisdom is that carbon fiber is an insulator. Somehow Proof has managed to figure out how to get them to cool quite quickly. Basically, while it initially gets 29 degrees hotter than a fluted SS barrel of slightly smaller contour, after 10 minutes the Proof CF wrapped barrel has caught up to only being 4 degrees hotter than the slightly smaller contour fluted SS barrel..
Impressive.
I wonder if a chrome moly barrel would have any different results..?? Chrome moly handles heat better than SS, though you won't get a barrel hot enough with a bolt action to see that difference.. it'd have to be a full auto.

2 things come to mind to me.

the stresses put in a barrel from button rifling certainly make cutting the barrel down drastically for the carbon wrap area more problematic.
Proof being cut rifled bypasses that.

I work in the carbon composites industry,
How fast the parts cool after I pull them from the oven and separate them from the forms is amazing.
You can comfortably hold them seconds later.

BSF is carbon sleeved with an air gap. Totally different than the others. That being said, I have a Grendel that shoots very well.
933ab7efeddeb1389bdc0e0949242191.jpg

Would Dracos barrels be a better comparison to Proof and in what way is one or the other superior?

I think CF wrapped barrels are used a little bit in 3 gun though..
I've seen like 3 in the last 4 years of shooting 10+ matches a year. I would guess they are too spendy for casual shooters, and serious shooters don't want to spend $800 a season on a barrel. They also don't save much or any weight over the 13-16" light profile steel barrels that are so common.

I’ll post the article when I get home. A fella did a comparison of fluted SS barrel vs unfluted vs Proof CF.. the Proof CF barrel to my surprise did seem to cool down faster than the other 2.. HOWEVER, the Proof barrel got way hotter to begin with.. 180 degrees vs 150-something for the unfluted and 160-something for the fluted. After 10 minutes, the unfluted was down to like 105, the fluted was at like 125, and the CF wrapped barrel was like 127 degrees.. so to be sure, it appears Proof has somehow turned what’s usually an insulator and got it to dissipate heat quite well, but the steel liner is so light that it gets way hotter to begin with.
I’d love to see the results of a test with just the steel liner without the CF wrapping vs the CF wrapped barrel, as well as a chrome moly barrel thrown in to see if the different steel has any effect..

Thank you for the article, and if I was doing 3 gun or active shooting at the range where I'm going through a couple of mags in short periods of time, would caron fiber not be an ideal barrel for that use?

I can't offer any technical details on the differences in the carbon wrapping between Proof and CA but based on what I've seen from the barrel that I have I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rifle from CA actually I've been tempted by the MPR I just don't need the rifle.

They look really good; I want the CA10 just for that carbon fiber handguard. Christensen would build a ton of goodwill in the community if they made carbon fiber handguards and AR stocks that didn't require you to buy an entire gun just to enjoy.

I really want the 18" 308 MPR, but I think I'll just take the frame and build my own rifle on top.

Thank you for the article, and if I was doing 3 gun or active shooting at the range where I'm going through a couple of mags in short periods of time, would caron fiber not be an ideal barrel for that use?
My honest opinion... if you want a CF barrel then go for it. If it was my money, I'd rather have 2-3 Kriegers or Bartleins than 1 CF wrapped barrel. Comparing equal contours, yeah the CF cools faster but it gets hotter to begin with so its pretty much a wash.
And like @TonyTheTiger said, you can actually get a lighter barrel with a plain light contour steel barrel..

ETA: ...Or 2-3 Proof SS barrels. I wouldn't turn down a CF-wrapped barrel if it was given to me tho LOL they're definitely cool looking! Not trying to sh!t on em at all.. but you'd be dollars ahead by getting a couple Proof SS barrels vs 1 Proof CF barrel. JMO

Last edited:
Would Dracos barrels be a better comparison to Proof and in what way is one or the other superior?

Dracos messed up when they advertised "Lifetime warranty"
Their catch is their magic filling wicks away heat and the barrel nvr heats up and nvr wears out. Pretty funny actually...

If you fall for this, and send in a toast barrel not shooting anymore they will just say its still within their accuracy specs.

Ask me how I know.
Also they nvr had the accuracy to start with either is the shitty part. More than 3 barrels experience with them with mine and my friends. Still cant get mine to shoot and its BNIB lol...

As mentioned, and Im on the fence of all carbon barrels being snake oil, Proof is easily the best and the only reason I would say not all carbon barrels are snake oil and the only one Id own if I didn't shoot out barrels so fast...

Regards,
DT

Hi,

Well that is not completely true.

Mike Degerness (sp) back when he was ABS (IIRC--cannot remember with certainty of his companies name) was doing it long before Proof...there was a reason he was "absorbed" into Proof......He had figured the epoxy situation out while others we still having issues with carbon fibers coming unwrapped.

Sincerely,
Theis

Huh, didn't know that, interesting.

Christensen predates Proof by 20 years at least.

Christensen sewed up their bad reputation a long time ago. They’re probably doing better now than they ever were. Proof started off well and doesn’t have a few decades worth of stepping on their crank.

Famous words of a Christensen owner “This thing was shooting great yesterday!”

They don't pre-date PROOF by 20 years on Carbon Fiber. They haven't sewed up their issues either.

As Lowlight said, PROOF is the standard. Christensen Arms is a roll of the dice from what I have seen. Some shoot great and occasionally you get a lemon. Not so with PROOF. That being said I may roll the dice with a Christensen 280 AI for hunting next year.

Anyways, to the overall discussion, carbon fiber is not MORE accurate than high end regular barrels but they can be as accurate. The advantage is having a lighter barrel than one in steel with the same profile. Me personally I enjoy hunting with my 8lb PROOF barreled Tikka more than my 18 lb AI AT. As has been said, for a lighter, handier rifle with a match barrel profile in hunting or field conditions the carbon fiber shines. For match shooters that burn barrels and don't mind weight they don't make as much sense because there is no accuracy advantage per se.

They don't pre-date PROOF by 20 years on Carbon Fiber. They haven't sewed up their issues either.

As Lowlight said, PROOF is the standard. Christensen Arms is a roll of the dice from what I have seen. Some shoot great and occasionally you get a lemon. Not so with PROOF. That being said I may roll the dice with a Christensen 280 AI for hunting next year.

Anyways, to the overall discussion, carbon fiber is not MORE accurate than high end regular barrels but they can be as accurate. The advantage is having a lighter barrel than one in steel with the same profile. Me personally I enjoy hunting with my 8lb PROOF barreled Tikka more than my 18 lb AI AT. As has been said, for a lighter, handier rifle with a match barrel profile in hunting or field conditions the carbon fiber shines. For match shooters that burn barrels and don't mind weight they don't make as much sense because there is no accuracy advantage per se.
You’re right, Christensen predates them by 16 years. I knew it was in the 90’s, as that’s the first period I recall their products underperforming. You had said Proof was the first.

By “sewed up” I meant christensen’s reputation was total shit a long time ago, and certainly before Proof was an entity.

Interesting claims... and yet every benchrest accuracy record out there is held by a standard barrel. Not saying thats the be all end all, just a observation. And Teludyne has been around for a WHILE

Reactions: AMGtuned
I don't ever recall Proof barrels being mocked on this site by anyone that used one... maybe when they first hit the market, naysayers always come out early to attack, but I was up there touring their facility and using their barrels pretty early on and never had an issue.

Only those who bought in the PRB article might have said something but that was a total hit job and not something I would take seriously.

I have a couple of their barrels and they are all shooters,
I believe this is the thread I was thinking about, though there may have been others. Admittedly, you mention in that thread that the issues reported there were old and had been resolved. My comment was less about Proof as a company or product, and more about the mercurial nature of the market...

They look really good; I want the CA10 just for that carbon fiber handguard. Christensen would build a ton of goodwill in the community if they made carbon fiber handguards and AR stocks that didn't require you to buy an entire gun just to enjoy.

I really want the 18" 308 MPR, but I think I'll just take the frame and build my own rifle on top.

Opinions on Christensen Arms differ massively depending on where you ask about them. Snipershide is not entirely but mostly PRS shooters and Proof has alot of sponsorships within PRS but PRS shooters are using Proof's stainless barrels. Wheras Christensen Arms's product line has always been more directed at long range hunters and if you go over to Long Range Only which is a long range hunting forum you'll find that they seem to think very highly of CA.

Also here's some of the testing results on these barrels from one of Bryan Litz's books.

2017-05-31-11-220446.jpg
2017-05-31-11-220447.jpg
2017-05-31-11-220449.jpg

Dracos messed up when they advertised "Lifetime warranty"
Their catch is their magic filling wicks away heat and the barrel nvr heats up and nvr wears out. Pretty funny actually...

If you fall for this, and send in a toast barrel not shooting anymore they will just say its still within their accuracy specs.

Ask me how I know.
Also they nvr had the accuracy to start with either is the shitty part. More than 3 barrels experience with them with mine and my friends. Still cant get mine to shoot and its BNIB lol...

As mentioned, and Im on the fence of all carbon barrels being snake oil, Proof is easily the best and the only reason I would say not all carbon barrels are snake oil and the only one Id own if I didn't shoot out barrels so fast...

Regards,
DT

A friend was considering getting one just to take them up on their warranty claims and this is what I speculated would happen. They are the ones that get to decide when it is "shot out." Most of us would pull a barrel if it goes from .25 MOA to .75 MOA, etc but maybe their standard is 4 MOA, then you are stuck with blowing several hundreds of dollars of ammo through a shitty barrel. Sleezy business claim.

I haven't owned a carbon fiber barrel though I'd be tempted if they were cheaper. I don't believe they have an advantage over anything else and have some disadvantages for sure. It would strictly be because they look cool. A pencil barrel is going to weigh less and shoot a 3 shot group just as well as a Proof on a hunting rifle, but a pencil barrel looks like trash in a wide barrel channel, lol. A lightweight hunting gun is really the only somewhat plausible use for one and who TF is shooting enough rounds in a hunting situation that the slight amount of POI shift from a light contour steel barrel is going to be an issue?

Just from what I've seen, if I was going to buy a CF barrel it would definitely be a Proof, but even they have some issues. No way I'd risk that kind of money on something that has an even higher chance of problems like the Christensen.

That test was completely flawed and debunked as being BS...

The mistook mirage off the barrel for shifting or walking, they didn't know what they were doing

I saw how the two companies build a barrel, as well I have spent time at Bartlein if it was my Money Proof every time over CA

That test was completely flawed and debunked as being BS...

The mistook mirage off the barrel for shifting or walking, they didn't know what they were doing

I saw how the two companies build a barrel, as well I have spent time at Bartlein if it was my Money Proof every time over CA
Which test Frank?

I like my Christensen Arms 300wm ELR. With a Kahles 624i, it out shoots my capabilities. I just picked up the summit ti in 6.5cm. should be interestin to see it air out. Just need a good optic.

I have two Proof CF barrels and plan on adding a third next year. The two I own do not drift when they get hot. My buddy had an early CA CF barrel and inside of five rounds it would start stringing three inches. It's been a while but I think he had some trouble getting them to do anything about it. Ask around on the Utah LR page what the locals think about CA.

This came a few days ago.
Carbon Six in .264 @ 21”
Ordered for a Tikka action.
I’m not sure what to build.
I have had great luck with my previous CS barrel.
Hoping for the same on this one.

Attachments

• 23CE153E-6BDB-4751-B6F7-5DB7F872AFDB.jpeg
    23CE153E-6BDB-4751-B6F7-5DB7F872AFDB.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 141