• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are quadrails making a comeback?

TonyTheTiger

Like a Boss
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I got into AR's near the tail end of the quadrail era. I never liked holding them but that's just the way it was if you wanted to be cool and more modern than the plastic mil spec handguards. The first time I saw a slim smooth HG I knew it was the future. Once I held one I became thoroughly disgusted with quadrails.
Here we are in 2023 and I'm seeing them everywhere, like a bunch of kids just discovered them and think they're the new hotness.
I dug one out of my junk parts pile. Still horrible to grip. Still snaggy. Still heavy.
In the age of Mlok and Arca what do quads offer? If I want an HG that isn't great to hold I'll get another Seekins SP3R so it at least rests on surfaces nicely. Or throw an Arca rail on something and gain flatness and function.
Besides maybe the nostalgic feeling that makes people retrogress, what am I missing?

Last edited:
Great question. I picked up a couple of BCM quads because they were on sale and I’m not going to be marching anywhere. Mlok burnt me out on the need to carry tools and they just aren’t that comfortable. A thicker HG feels better to me, doesn’t heat up as fast, and sits flat against barricades. Maybe other people feel the same or maybe all the COVID cloning has gotten to our brains.

To add to the reasons from the above post, I'm wrapping up a large frame build and moving on to a small frame build next. I've pretty much completely decided on a full quad rail just because I just don't want to piss with Mlok anymore. It's like a game of Operation trying to hold those nuts 90* to the slots and screw in the bolt at the same time. Quickly gets redundant. Quad rails offer simplicity with attachments. Heavy objects like sights, lights, lasers, use picatinny rails for attachment while the smaller/lighter stuff like rail mounted vertical handgrips, barricade stops, sling attachments, etc.. are generally a couple bucks cheaper and more readily available than their Mlok counterparts.

Could be like what happens with cars and trucks, they grew up seeing one thing, now that they're old enough to have one, that's what I want!

Could be no reason at all.
Are they coming back? I know they still make a few, I've ordered some for people, the reason they wanted them was a combination of above, and they were cheaper.

Reactions: jumrobe and BurtG
E3E81F30-1BFC-4251-8091-77D8D5A1B75A.jpeg

To add to the reasons from the above post, I'm wrapping up a large frame build and moving on to a small frame build next. I've pretty much completely decided on a full quad rail just because I just don't want to piss with Mlok anymore. It's like a game of Operation trying to hold those nuts 90* to the slots and screw in the bolt at the same time. Quickly gets redundant. Quad rails offer simplicity with attachments. Heavy objects like sights, lights, lasers, use picatinny rails for attachment while the smaller/lighter stuff like rail mounted vertical handgrips, barricade stops, sling attachments, etc.. are generally a couple bucks cheaper and more readily available than their Mlok counterparts.

This is how M-lok is supposed to work (despite the click-bait title):

It's like a game of Operation trying to hold those nuts 90* to the slots and screw in the bolt at the same time.
Couldn't agree more. I have a lot of M-Lok rails. The fundamental problem is that as soon as the yellow Nylok on the threads engage the lock nut, the nut begins to spin before the fastener has shortened the distance sufficiently for the lock nut to be engaged by the rail so it doesn't turn. I break out the Craftsman ignition wrench (even have it identified as the one required to hold the nut)! One has to fiddle with the wrench in between the rail slots to engage it, then its easy. Done.

Gunsmith M-Lok Craftsman Ignition Wrench for Rail Installations.jpg

I only have one cheese grater (out of about 14-15), & that's a URX 3.1 that came on a KAC 18" LPR rifle; I don't expect to have any more unless someone makes a lightweight one.

I don't mind the design, just a bit heavier than it could be; the sharp edges can be reduced a bit with a little work.

MM

But how are you going to mount your laser, red dot, magnifier, gangster grip, flashlight, folding front sight, tactical banana holder, sling, Glock, truck-nutz, bottle opener, pinstriping tool and dog-treat-dispenser?

Without a quad-rail, you can't do any of those things. I don't know why they went out of fashion!

Sirhr

It's a nice theory anyway.

Doesn't always go that way in my experience.

I bought a Kemod rail not too long ago, basically because I'd never owned one. (have plenty of M-Lok) Wasn't planning on sticking anything on it so it didn't really matter. Of course, not long after that I need to stick something on it, so I bought a short piece of rail. Put it on and thought... yeah, this is a lot simpler.

(It's a well known fact there Normy, that while Betamax didn't succeed here in the states, in many ways it was the superior format and proved successful all over the world.)
th-996986794.jpg

Last edited:

When the slot is in a flat area, yeah that works good. But a curved handguard like this (a handguard I currently have on one of the rifles), that trick doesn't work as well. And then a similar problem to this occurs:
Couldn't agree more. I have a lot of M-Lok rails. The fundamental problem is that as soon as the yellow Nylok on the threads engage the lock nut, the nut begins to spin before the fastener has shortened the distance sufficiently for the lock nut to be engaged by the rail so it doesn't turn.........
Only the nut has to be backed off a little more, then tightened up. Which requires holding the nut in place with a long narrow screwdriver, dental pick, curved hemostats, needlenose pliers, or whatever implement that can reach the nut with one hand and turning the bolt with the other.

It's a nice theory anyway.

Doesn't always go that way in my experience.

I bought a Kemod rail not too long ago, basically because I'd never owned one. (have plenty of M-Lok) Wasn't planning on sticking anything on it so it didn't really matter. Of course, not long after that I need to stick something on it, so I bought a short piece of rail. Put it on and thought... yeah, this is a lot simpler. Better Betamax lost again.

(It's a well known fact there Normy, that while Betamax didn't succeed here in the states, in many ways it was the superior format and proved a success all over the world.)
View attachment 8061275

The method in the video has worked just fine for me in practice, not theory, for 5 years.

But to each their own. You do you.

I have mounted literally hundreds of mlok parts on dozens of hand guards and never had to touch the T nut after initial tightening. The key is constant inward pressure as you slowly loosen, and the moment the T nut spins reverse and begin tightening.

Wow, I feel like I could use an Allen key and put on an mlock rail behind my back blindfolded lol. Could anything be easier? I may not be a fair comparison considering i build race engines etc for a living but go ask grandpa or someone for some mechanical knowledge if you think mlock is hard 🤦‍♂️

Wow, I feel like I could use an Allen key and put on an mlock rail behind my back blindfolded lol. Could anything be easier? I may not be a fair comparison considering i build race engines etc for a living but go ask grandpa or someone for some mechanical knowledge if you think mlock is hard 🤦‍♂️
I don't mean to make this personal Simonsza, but I have to say something because of this annoying trend on modern forums ... Answer the question that was asked to build the conversation. Nobody asked anyone why they think mlok is a great system. The question is: why are people going back to quads. As the thread illustrates, there are some people that find mounting mlok components to be pain and they are entitled to their opinion. Oh you build race engines... have a cookie. I assembled custom Radar amplifiers under a microscope, carve briar pipes by hand, synthesized nano-particles with wet chemistry, built 1911s, built bicycles, have 20/10 vision, AND I find mounting Mlok accessories to be a pain. The thing that I love most about the shooting community is that gear reflects an individuals thought process for besting a challenge and it is an entry to learning how others solve a uniform problems. The thing that I like least about the shooting community is individuals believing their solution is magic and the GMs that won't share their knowledge.

I don't mean to make this personal Simonsza, but I have to say something because of this annoying trend on modern forums ... Answer the question that was asked to build the conversation. Nobody asked anyone why they think mlok is a great system. The question is: why are people going back to quads. As the thread illustrates, there are some people that find mounting mlok components to be pain and they are entitled to their opinion. Oh you build race engines... have a cookie. I assembled custom Radar amplifiers under a microscope, carve briar pipes by hand, synthesized nano-particles with wet chemistry, built 1911s, built bicycles, have 20/10 vision, AND I find mounting Mlok accessories to be a pain. The thing that I love most about the shooting community is that gear reflects an individuals thought process for besting a challenge and it is an entry to learning how others solve a uniform problems. The thing that I like least about the shooting community is individuals believing their solution is magic and the GMs that won't share their knowledge.
1675043574391.png

I don't think I've bought a quad since when but I do like the flat bottom. Also, the price of rails is still what I consider high and some come with no sections of pic rail. When you're old you forget to buy them and pay shipping and tax twice

I'm getting my Daniel Defense upper with a Quad Rail and same with my BCM SBR. I will sacrifice weight and grip feel for the looks. It's the aesthetics, it looks like something the Navy Seals would use, the perfect look to larp as an operator. With cerekote, it's the ultimate gucci gun look. But the rest of my builds will use Mlok at the 3, 6, and 9.

I assembled custom Radar amplifiers under a microscope, carve briar pipes by hand, synthesized nano-particles with wet chemistry, built 1911s, built bicycles, have 20/10 vision, AND I find mounting Mlok accessories to be a pain.
The last time we saw a resume like that he became a legend.

Cloners are probably responsible for the come back of quad rails, they kept forcing companies to keep making them for their Mk12 and Mk 18 clones for so long that now other companies want back into the game to get some of that sweet sweet cloner money.

Or it could be that we've been at this so long that quad rails are retro and every retro is new again....

I have an old VLTOR upper with the integrated rail.

It has a Colt commando barrel, BCG, and CH.

I keep it, but dang its not sexy or nice.
Except it shoots well 😎

Is part of the reason that the quad rail handguard can be narrower? If you have an mlok upper you have the width of the guard and then the width of a rail whereas on a quad rail they are one in the same? No doubt a very narrow mlok upper will be narrower than a quad, but if you add some rails the width adds up.

Is part of the reason that the quad rail handguard can be narrower? If you have an mlok upper you have the width of the guard and then the width of a rail whereas on a quad rail they are one in the same? No doubt a very narrow mlok upper will be narrower than a quad, but if you add some rails the width adds up.
Interesting thought. I just put pic rail sections on the 3 6 and 9 o'clock positions of a slim Mlok HG. It's no bigger than the quad. Additionally, I would never put pic rail around the full circumference of the HG where I intended to hold it. Because that sucks. Which brings us back to the advantages of modern slim HG's where you only put rail/attachments in places they are needed, saving weight, size, snag points and generally streamlining the rifle.

Reactions: Steel+Killer

I don't buy Mlok rails so I can just put picatinny on them. The whole point is to use Mlok accessories. So if I mount a flashlight, I'm using a flashlight mount that directly attaches to the Mlok slots. No need to use picatinny.

Or it could be that we've been at this so long that quad rails are retro and every retro is new again....
That's my best guess. Reminds me of guys buying a late model Camaro and wanting to convert it to carburetors. Yeah, it's kinda nifty in a vintage retro way, for a weekend car, but if you were alive in the days when carburetors were the only option you tend to want fuel injection in your daily driver.

“I hate you, and I hate the bands you like!”

The best part about quad rails was watching people remove their standard A2 style hand guards, spend lots of money on a quad rail, then seeing them spend even more money on covers to make it look like and feel like an A2 hand guard.

Last edited:
I wear Xl or XXL gloves and I'd agree. I think they look stupid, and are rather hard to grip. I prefer a slim handguard with a picrail all the way down and mlok at the 3,6,and 9 positions. Fits perfect in my hand. Got the first one I ever hated last week from WOA the handguard is great, but the barrel nut system sucks imo.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I like quad better than mlok. I prefer the feel, balance, and attachment lock points seem to be stronger (placebo maybe but I've yet to have a quad rail attachment come loose whereas I've had mlok)
Mlok has no real advantage imho, I can put anything in the same position as I do with a quad. Weight, it's immaterial and the 'ounces equals pounds' doesn't apply to those of us not humping 105lbs of ruck, rigidity of platform I feel is another advantage and believe the crane testing showed mlok was 'weaker'.

just my .02

I like to do semi-correct clones so I have a few with quads. I have several with Mlok, and I’ve even got a few with old school A2 plastic guards.

I don’t personally find quads too wide for my hands, but they’re certainly the widest hand guards I have.

This block 2 upper is actually the next build I have planned when that rail is available again. Hahahaha

1675115698866.jpeg

I don't buy Mlok rails so I can just put picatinny on them. The whole point is to use Mlok accessories. So if I mount a flashlight, I'm using a flashlight mount that directly attaches to the Mlok slots. No need to use picatinny.

I've never seen an MLOK attachment for a bipod but that doesn't mean they don't exist, lol.

What? That's not how Mlok is supposed to work.
Agreed.

Fastening MLOK is trivial.
Gap the bolts and nuts so they fit through the slot
Then tighten one end while pulling on the accessory away from rail. When the nut is slotted tighten the rest of the way but not to full torque
Repeat on the other bolt.
Tighten both to spec, done.

I just wish Magpul would omit that daub of thread locker paste shit on the threads. I can put loctite on myself…

“I hate you, and I hate the bands you like!”

The best part about quad rails was watching people remove their standard A2 style hand guards, spend lots of money on a quad rail, then seeing them spend even more money on covers to make it look like and feel like an A2 hand guard.
Only heavier.

nothing against them, but quad rails never did anything for me. I actually preferred the old hand guards, and even ‘backdated’ my issued M4 and GUU-5P to the old carbine hand guards (being the boss had its perks). Never looked back once I retired and started building them for myself.

Prefer a slimmer, round(ish) hand guard, with mlok or keymod slots (I’m agnostic) to put stuff where I need it, and nothing more.

For example:

i-8HvBhZd.jpg

i-NfgsX9g-X3.jpg

i-BRLcJF4-X5.jpg

i-T39GjvL-X3.jpg

Or old school magpul hand guards and a FSB:

i-76m5zRm-X3.jpg

An SBR’d set I built for my son:

i-7nvqwSb.jpg

…or even without a FSB! And yes, I had to mill down the back of the gas block to get the gas port to align properly with that hand guard for my daughter’s rifle:

i-Tz7Mqwf-X3.jpg

And sometimes with no mounting options at all, LoL…

i-JdkthDB-4K.jpg