• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why are "slow/fine" reticle focus eyepieces still a thing?

aaronk

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Washington
The slow/fine focus is incredibly annoying and I always feel like I can never get it as perfect as I can with scopes utilizing a fast focus eyepiece. Is there a reason why scope manufacturers haven't switched to fast focus eyepieces for reticle focus?

Had family in town this week, aged 15 to 83. They all loved shooting out to 1500 yards with 4 different rifles.
No one but I had a crisp reticle.

Last edited:
Generally, it is easier to make a traditional eyepiece so that it does not exhibit a thick black ring around the image. It is clearly doable with fast focus eyepieces, but harder.

Also, with many scope caps, traditional eyepiece works better.

Lastly, it is easier to make a locking eyepiece this way, so that it does not shift in the field.

Several manufacturers have gone to an intermediate solution where they use a traditional eyepiece with coarser threads, so it is faster to adjust.

ILya

You’re probably not 15 or 83 and also understand why the $3000 optic looks blurry.

Generally, it is easier to make a traditional eyepiece so that it does not exhibit a thick black ring around the image. It is clearly doable with fast focus eyepieces, but harder.

Also, with many scope caps, traditional eyepiece works better.

Lastly, it is easier to make a locking eyepiece this way, so that it does not shift in the field.

Several manufacturers have gone to an intermediate solution where they use a traditional eyepiece with coarser threads, so it is faster to adjust.

ILya

Thanks for being the only one to offer an actual answer! Makes sense.