• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why are windage knobs on the right?

Re: Why are windage knobs on the right?

Ya, I know USO does. I was just wondering why as it seems like a left hand windage knob would enable you to pretty much do all the adjustments with one hand while leaving your right hand free/ready.

Let me put it to you another way.

I'm right handed, so thus we conclude that I pull the trigger with my right finger, and should the rifle in my right shoulder. So if one was behind there rifle wouldn't make more sence to reach up with the weak hand (being left) to adjust there parallax knob, elevation knob, and windage knob without ever unshouldering the rifle or having to remove ones hold?

Because they made them that way many many years ago and 99.5% of shooters adjust their windage at the range while hitting a 6" circle at 100 yards, screw the cap back on and don't touch it again.

I fiddle with the parallax knob a lot more than my windage knob and you can only fit so much on the left side.

If your scope has an adjustable objective and not a side focus, just clock the scope 90 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your scope has an adjustable objective and not a side focus, just clock the scope 90 degrees. </div></div>

Most scopes have less windage than elv. movement. Oh and then there's that reticle thing too.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, I know USO does. I was just wondering why as it seems like a left hand windage knob would enable you to pretty much do all the adjustments with one hand while leaving your right hand free/ready. </div></div>

I dont know about you but since the world is a right handers world I dont think that the windage is a good thing on the left hand side.

I know myself my fine motor skilss are greater in my right hands because I use it more often. I think that putting the windage knob is on the left and adjusting with the left it would be hard to get the fine adjustments.

They should be on the left

I love to track the wind with my left hand....... one more USO advantage.
That feature is avalable on the superb SN-3 line....

Once you use a left handed windage scope you will say : " How the Hell I spent all my life doing it the other way"
I find it much easier.
Eduardo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your scope has an adjustable objective and not a side focus, just clock the scope 90 degrees. </div></div>

Clock the scope 90 degrees and return the reticle back to vertical is really what you meant to say...worked for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they made them that way many many years ago and 99.5% of shooters adjust their windage at the range while hitting a 6" circle at 100 yards, screw the cap back on and don't touch it again.

I fiddle with the parallax knob a lot more than my windage knob and you can only fit so much on the left side. </div></div>

+1, I agree with Jason. Almost never touch that windage knob after zero the scope, hold for wind, and work with parallax knob everytime the range changes.

Thank you,

Dyl..

Didn't realize they were built that way. Thought most benchresters used a target dot or plex reticle so that's why I was thinking that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, I know USO does. I was just wondering why as it seems like a left hand windage knob would enable you to pretty much do all the adjustments with one hand while leaving your right hand free/ready. </div></div>

I dont know about you but since the world is a right handers world I dont think that the windage is a good thing on the left hand side.

I know myself my fine motor skilss are greater in my right hands because I use it more often. I think that putting the windage knob is on the left and adjusting with the left it would be hard to get the fine adjustments. </div></div>

The advantage of not losing your sight picture outweighs the slight motor skill advantage, especially if your scope has crisp, audible adjustments. I am right-handed and much prefer the left-handed windage, with enough practice you could develop any motor skill with your left hand to equal the right.

This discussion is all fine and good until you're slung up in the rifle and your support hand is quite unavailable for just about anything.

That's why I have reloading skills using both left and right hands to dump the old and grab the new magazine.

Onced windage is set, I never touch it. I always hold for wind and adjust for elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Onced windage is set, I never touch it. I always hold for wind and adjust for elevation.</div></div>

Same here.

In F-class comp, once I am settled in with the rifle, my left arm is folded under me and it is holding the rear bag. I would hate to break position to fiddle with the windage on the scope if it was on the left side. My left arm does not move during the string and my right hand is free to load, pull the trigger, keep score, plot shots and adjust the scope.

I find that I get better overall scores if I don't break position.

Your right hand is your weak hand maybe not weak so much as loose). Your left hand/arm should remain fixed as it is the one that supoports the rifle. Your right hand is the one that does all the moving (bolt throws, adjustments, etc.)

Your should remain locked into possition and your left hand is a part of that.