• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why aren't more using the hmr in there tactical training rifle?

djdilliodon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
West Babylon, NY
I have noticed that many have some nicely setup tactical trainer rifles with most being 22 LR. Many shoot match grade ammo which is pretty much similar in price to hmr ammo. Many shoot at 200 yards some even further! Why not go with the flatter shooting hmr? It is superior in both trajectory and wind drift to my understanding. Over the years I had 3 savage 17 hmr's and they where some fun little rifles. I'll be doing a 455/lilja hmr starting in a couple weeks as I just miss having that little caliber. Anyone care to give there opinions why they stick with the 22 LR over the hmr?

My 22wmr, 17 hmr, 22lr all get used at 200 yards.
The advantage of the barrel swapping ability of the CZ 455.
I have both a 22lr Lilja and a 17 hmr Lilja.
The CZ factory 22wmr bull barrel shoots sub-moa at 50 yards, 2 moa at 200 yards.
Most of that 2 moa is my lack of skill, both at the trigger and reading windage.
I was going to blame the 2 moa on transonic wobble, but I know better.
Reason for 22lr use was that it used to be cheaper than the 22wmr and 17hmr. Not anymore.

Last edited:
That's why I have two Sako Quads-- one in .17HMR and one in .22LR, both Lilja barrels. Both have their place and uses.

I started with one Quad and both barrels and quickly grew tired of swapping barrels and sighting back in every time I wanted to shoot the other caliber-- so I built up a second rifle instead.

The .17HMR gets a lot of use for ground squirrels and the like and also sees some paper punching-- but I still do most of my 50-100Y paper punching with the .22LR as Wolf Match Target is about 1/2 the price of .17HMR.

Still, it's much easier printing small groups at 100Y and beyond with the .17HMR compared to the .22LR...

Last edited:
other big reasons is due to the very drop it produces and at shorter ranges - you get more interesting mil holds overs, wind hold offs, and as .22lr come in sooooo many varieties of ammo, one could find a darn near perfect ammo to rifle match (what it "likes").

plus the subsonic stuff is able to be used closer to people, causing less alarm and folks coming over to check out what all the shooting is about.

I like the nostalgia aspect of shooting my .22's with iron / aperture sights at the 200 yard A-21 target. Back in the late 1920's through the 1950's, my grand-dad use to shoot long range 20 shot .22 rimfire matches. He was pretty good at it. Of course he was a rifle instructor for the Army, and spent a lot of time at Camp Perry. I also understand that the subsonic .22lr is comparable in drop to the .308 when using this rimfire round out to 200 yards. Some say it compares to 400+ yard shooting, while others say 800 yards, and yet others claim 1000 yards. Personally, I also just flat out enjoy the 200 yard .22lr rimfire rifle shooting - be it scope or iron sights. It's fun! Also a great way to learn to read the wind.

other big reasons is due to the very drop it produces and at shorter ranges - you get more interesting mil holds overs, wind hold offs, and as .22lr come in sooooo many varieties of ammo, one could find a darn near perfect ammo to rifle match (what it "likes").

plus the subsonic stuff is able to be used closer to people, causing less alarm and folks coming over to check out what all the shooting is about.

I'm with Top on this one. Fifty and 100 yard ranges are the norm around here. With my Savage 93E .17HMR, that is too easy!

I never got one because I can reload .223 for less money.
this is true but it sure is easier out stalking hunting with a pocket full of .17's , and hell I shoot at damn near anything challenging , from bees and butterfly's landing on flowers , to spiders hanging in their webs ..or just set a cup with some Pepsi in it at 50 and shoot wasps as they land getting a drink .....223 is overkill for this kinda fun

Just killed a crow at 98 yards with a pellet rifle when I got back from the match today. So a 17 HMR seems to be over kill for that kind of fun.

IMG_20140118_144440_133_zpsee61f537.jpg

Just killed a crow at 98 yards with a pellet rifle when I got back from the match today. So a 17 HMR seems to be over kill for that kind of fun.

IMG_20140118_144440_133_zpsee61f537.jpg

One of my favorite things to hunt! I use to use a Benjamin discovery pcp air rifle to slay crows and squirrels. Longest shot I made was right at 100 yards on a crow. I've moved on from airguns even though I did enjoy them. I can't wait till I finish my hmr cause a lot of crows are gonna catch a pill from some good distances :).

I've moved on from airguns even though I did enjoy them.

I moved on from them for 30 years or so, got the full auto, suppressed and 50 BMG bugs sastisfied and couldn't think of something I wanted that I didn't have so I bought a new airgun for myself for Christmas.

I moved on from them for 30 years or so, got the full auto, suppressed and 50 BMG bugs sastisfied and couldn't think of something I wanted that I didn't have so I bought a new airgun for myself for Christmas.

I'll probably go back myself as I do enjoy shooting them. Here was my old setup. After some work on the trigger, power adjuster, recrown, and lapping the barrel it was pretty darn accurate!

I'll probably go back myself as I do enjoy shooting them. Here was my old setup. After some work on the trigger, power adjuster, recrown, and lapping the barrel it was pretty darn accurate!

Nice!
Which model is it?