• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why buy an mk12 mod 0?

Gman021

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm looking into a new rifle to buy (Dta srs, 308 ar, scar, or ar15) and thought about the mk12 as a rifle that would be capable of making long distance shots. I've been back in forth on buying an AR15, but because it is very customizable and has many different uppers that can be used.

Why the mk12 over other AR15 rifles?

I already own a 700 .308.

ETA - Just looking for an accurate rifle that is fun to shoot. No specific purpose here.

Re: Why buy an mk12 mod 0?

Your question is way too general. And you are looking at a bolt action (DTA) and 3 semi autos....that makes no sense. Plus, if you already have a rifle in .308, why would you want another?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your question is way too general. And you are looking at a bolt action (DTA) and 3 semi autos....that makes no sense. Plus, if you already have a rifle in .308, why would you want another?</div></div>

Not for a specific purpose. I would like another accurate rifle to buy, semi or bolt doesn't matter, just something that's accurate and fun to shoot.

I guess I just want to know how effective an MK12 is over a regular ar15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your question is way too general. And you are looking at a bolt action (DTA) and 3 semi autos....that makes no sense. Plus, if you already have a rifle in .308, why would you want another?</div></div>

Not for a specific purpose. I would like another accurate rifle to buy, semi or bolt doesn't matter, just something that's accurate and fun to shoot.

I guess I just want to know how effective an MK12 is over a regular ar15. </div></div>

they have an 18 inch barrel i guess over a "regular" ar15. i picked up one in 6.8mm.

Fun? I can't tell you what will be more fun to you. I personally find accurate rifles fun, and semi-automatics fun. I'm a firm believer everybody should have one fighting gun. I'd pick up a Colt 6920 and put a quality red dot sight on it and learn to use it. If I liked the semi-auto platform and wanted to take a shot at a precision version, simply pick up an MK12 Mod 1 upper (or one of their own variants) from Bravo Company Manufacturing, an SSA trigger, an LMT SOPMOD, and a good optic (something like a 3.5-10x Leupold M5/TMR) or NF NXS 2.5-10x32 .1 MRAD/Mil-Dot w/ZS and roll. If you want to have a real good time with it, get a suppressor to accompany it.

Very nice rifle KACstealth

I really like how I can have a very accurate upper (mk12) and be able to switch to a SBR or an upper in another caliber in seconds. The only think I'm not a huge fan of is how small the 5.56 is.

Colt LE901 looks promising, but still not sure.

What are you shooting for fun that requires a larger round? You can always get a 6.5G or .300 BLK upper if you want larger diameter projectiles, but rifles are tools. Match the correct tool for the job. If you insist on larger, you can always get a LaRue OBR or GAP 10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you shooting for fun that requires a larger round? You can always get a 6.5G or .300 BLK upper if you want larger diameter projectiles, but rifles are tools. Match the correct tool for the job. If you insist on larger, you can always get a LaRue OBR or GAP 10. </div></div>

I guess I was just thinking more SHTF. At longer ranges, obviously the .223 will be lacking kinetic energy, even with a 77g bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, 223/556 never killed anyone or anything. Get a 50 cal.</div></div>

Ya, never even close to alluding to something like that. I guess you forgot about things like cover or armor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, 223/556 never killed anyone or anything. Get a 50 cal.</div></div>

Ya, never even close to alluding to something like that. I guess you forgot about things like cover or armor. </div></div>

Well if this is a major concern for you, then the answer is obvious - you need a DTA SRS in .338. Perfect for busting through that pesky cover and armor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy T</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, 223/556 never killed anyone or anything. Get a 50 cal.</div></div>

Ya, never even close to alluding to something like that. I guess you forgot about things like cover or armor. </div></div>

Well if this is a major concern for you, then the answer is obvious - you need a DTA SRS in .338. Perfect for busting through that pesky cover and armor. </div></div>

yup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into a new rifle to buy (Dta srs, 308 ar, scar, or ar15) and thought about the mk12 as a rifle that would be capable of making long distance shots. I've been back in forth on buying an AR15, but because it is very customizable and has many different uppers that can be used.

I already own a 700 .308.

ETA - Just looking for an accurate rifle that is fun to shoot. No specific purpose here. </div></div>

The MK 12 is definitely a fun platform to shoot. It's not just the accuracy alone, but it's ability to put round after round into a small group at a really fast pace that makes it so much fun to shoot. With the correct Ops Inc brake, the recoil is so light that the scope hardly comes off target at all when shooting from a bipod. You can just hammer rounds downrange nearly as fast as you can pull the trigger, and most of them will find the target. Aside from that, it's ability to do nearly any task required of an AR is a great asset. It doesen't particularly excel at CQB work, but it will do it if configured with the right optic. Either that or just detach the scope and use irons. It's probably the most multi-purpose capable rifle currently in the US Military inventory.

Here's my take on the MK 12 Mod 0. A slight departure from spec, but it's heart is in the right place
smile.gif

8220180470_7bebf334fd_c.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FMJBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The MK 12 is definitely a fun platform to shoot. It's not just the accuracy alone, but it's ability to put round after round into a small group at a really fast pace that makes it so much fun to shoot. With the correct Ops Inc brake, the recoil is so light that the scope hardly comes off target at all when shooting from a bipod. You can just hammer rounds downrange nearly as fast as you can pull the trigger, and most of them will find the target. Aside from that, it's ability to do nearly any task required of an AR is a great asset. It doesen't particularly excel at CQB work, but it will do it if configured with the right optic. Either that or just detach the scope and use irons. It's probably the most multi-purpose capable rifle currently in the US Military inventory.

Here's my take on the MK 12 Mod 0. A slight departure from spec, but it's heart is in the right place
smile.gif

8220180470_7bebf334fd_c.jpg
</div></div>

Looks great. I've decided to go with the mk12. Very sexy, modular, and capable. Will be ordering off bcm in a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FMJBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into a new rifle to buy (Dta srs, 308 ar, scar, or ar15) and thought about the mk12 as a rifle that would be capable of making long distance shots. I've been back in forth on buying an AR15, but because it is very customizable and has many different uppers that can be used.

</div></div>

The MK 12 is definitely a fun platform to shoot. It's not just the accuracy alone, but it's ability to put round after round into a small group at a really fast pace that makes it so much fun to shoot. With the correct Ops Inc brake, the recoil is so light that the scope hardly comes off target at all when shooting from a bipod. You can just hammer rounds downrange nearly as fast as you can pull the trigger, and most of them will find the target. Aside from that, it's ability to do nearly any task required of an AR is a great asset. It doesn't particularly excel at CQB work, but it will do it if configured with the right optic. Either that or just detach the scope and use irons. It's probably the most multi-purpose capable rifle currently in the US Military inventory.
</div></div>

^^ THIS ^^

My MK12 mod1 is my general purpose go to rifle.

FMJBT...SWEET rig!!! I have a KAC SR15 Match which is essentially a MK12 Mod1 and it is a nice rifle

DSC00580.jpg

Here's my well used Mk12 Mod 0 type rifle. It has larue rings, an ARMS 40L rear sight and an M4-2000 suppressor. I also opted for a Leupy MK4 4.5-14 scope. I shoot prairie dogs and coyotes with this rifle so the additional magnification is nice. I built it myself about 4 years ago and haven't found a factory load it won't shoot moa.