• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why can't I find a Tan SCAR 17!!!

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
This has been a frustrating venture. For the past 3 months of phone calls, emails and web page searching. I have turned up with nill. Nothing. Does anyone have any leads to me acquiring a tan scar 17s?

I don't know where exactly you have been looking unless you are just hoping to find one for a steal, but the damned things are all over GunBroker, etc.

This from all of ~3min of searching:

FN Herstal Scar 17S, .308 WIN, 16" Barrel, FDE : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

SCAR 17S 308 TAN : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

FN SCAR 17S 308WIN 16" FDE 20-ROUND : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

FDE SCAR 17s with 4 mags : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

That's just a few as a "sample" of what's on GB, but have a look and see what you like, then pull the proverbial (and hopefully literal) trigger. ;) Beggars can't be choosers.

Buy a black one, get a hold a hold of Lauer Weaponry, buy your favorite shade of tan and apply. Or find a local Cerakote guy.

ORD by the time I read this post 3 of the 4 have been sold. They seem to be selling faster than. The newest apple product. I've missed 2 by a few hours at a local gun store as well.

Bids get pretty high fast too. Anything over $3200 is crazy. Might as well get on the wait list for a larue obr at that price.current dealer cost has gone up but not that much In the past year. Some auctions on there have been starting at 4k

Bids get pretty high fast too. Anything over $3200 is crazy. Might as well get on the wait list for a larue obr at that price.current dealer cost has gone up but not that much In the past year. Some auctions on there have been starting at 4k

Plenty out there, but be patient prices starting to come down. Check out the FN Forum-those guys all worship SCAR 17s and some are offered for sale from time to time and they refer to other websites when they find them available! I personally like my HK AR much better. Not as sexy or unique, but much more solid and reliable as are many other AR platforms! Still just as pricy.

Seen several at Arf com that last for a bit. I've always just talked to local shops that are dealers and had them special order. Never had a problem, its a locked sale for the shop all they do is paperwork and wait.

I know the pricing on GB isn't exactly "good" on most auctions unless you happen to find one with a B-I-N price that's decent and can snag it. I also know that they tend to go fast once the basement dwellers and BARFCOMers get wind of one for a good price. You just have to be vigilant about searching a couple times a day and be ready to pounce as they come available. The supply is out there...just tough to snag for "a good price" nowadays. The demand is still high on the 17S and prices, while normalizing somewhat, are still relatively inflated compared to what they were just 9-10mo ago.

The only other thing I can think of is to post up a WTB ad here and elsewhere to see what you can beat out of the brush, as well as checking with any Hide vendors who deal in FN products (Mile High comes to mind off the top of my head, but there may be other dealers in FN stuff as well).

I know a month ago I saw one NIB with 6 mags here in Ohio for $1600, if I had the extra money I def would have grabbed it

I just got a black Scar 16S. I wanted FDE too. And, if I REALLY wanted, I could get one online or at a local gun show - but I'd probably end up paying $200-$300 more for it right now (unless I got on a waiting list and wait forever). I decided the color wasn't worth that much more...

That picture supposedly from Kenya threw me for a loop -- was that a correct photo of responders to that mall attack, or just a stock photo some press agency linked to the story?

Buy a black one, get a hold a hold of Lauer Weaponry, buy your favorite shade of tan and apply. Or find a local Cerakote guy.

Yep^^^^^ what he said. This started as a black rifle, and 15 minutes with an airbrush turned it into this

DSC00686.jpg

So after almost a year of waiting and looking my patience paid off! Can't wait to shoot this bad boy.
pazasyqy.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yeah I was looking at doing the timney drop in and maybe the handl scar 25 lower. I heard the scar triggers are a bitch to change.

Yeah I was looking at doing the timney drop in and maybe the handl scar 25 lower. I heard the scar triggers are a bitch to change.

Well what you hear isn't exactly correct.

Factory Triggers are a bitch to replace. Not take out. Aftermarket triggers are also very easy to put in.

If you ever want put that factory trigger back in though, you pretty much need a third hand. I remember using my nose to hold a pin in place.

You might want to check out the fn forum. There is a guy there they call sarge that is in production of a few after market items for the scar. Very well made. His website is. www.strykerent.com

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club. The trigger is worth the money but for the price of a Handl lower you can buy 10 fn magazines.
f017ip.jpg

After going thru the process with a SCAR 16 that was creepy and gritty the trigger on the SCAR 17 and the price of a Geissele kept me from getting a 17. At the price FN sells the 16 and 17 for you think they would put a non creepy, gritty trigger on it.

IMO the handl lower is a waste of money... SCAR mags aren't that expensive. And if your feeling a little handy just buy FAL mags and put a notch in it. As for the trigger swap... it's a breeze! Maybe 15-20 minutes at best.

SCAR mags are more than double the price of PMAGs so they are still "relatively" expensive.

As far as the HandL lower I wouldn't get one due to their many QC issues. The Calvalry Mfg lower on the other hand has had no issues what-so-ever.

Last edited:
SCAR mags are more than double the price of PMAGs so they are still "relatively" expensive.

As far as the HandL lower I wouldn't get one due to their many QC issues. The Calvalry Mfg lower on the other hand has had no issues what-so-ever.

And it still cost $400 for the lower, so the break even point is like 25 Mags. If you want more than 25 mags the HANDL is cheaper, if you want less than 25, Factory is cheaper. The Factory lower is also lighter, and the mags comes with a rubber bumper to protect them when being dropped.

There are enough issues with ALL aftermarket lowers that I would wait a while for the market to sort it out before buying. There is also a good ammount of litigation going on between them so the lower you buy, may not be supported in the future if they turn out to be the 'loser" in court.

Good point cobra. The scar 17 mags seem to be making a come back as with the rifles them selves. Might just sell the few 308 p mags I have left and buy some scar mags. I don't plan on owning another 308 AR anytime soon.

Oh ueah... like an HK with fluted chamber son it ruins the brass. I'll take a SCAR any day over anything made by hogan or pof.