• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why cover the serial number?

flysolo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
MN
Going to show some ignorance unfortunately, but I've got a question I'm sure you guys can help me out with. I see the serial numbers blotted out in pics of firearms for sale but never truly understood why. Now I've got a friend asking me if he should release the serial number of a pistol he owns to a potential buyer. Buyer says he wants to "make sure the pistol is clean" which it is of course. I've never dealt with this and I'm stumped as to what to tell him. Thanks in advance !

Re: Why cover the serial number?

I see this all the time. I guess its to prevent anyone from reporting that the firearm is theirs or any other funny business.

You get the whole sn when money changes hands. I wouldn't give the sn to a buyer to be sure its "clean". The buyer can check for that afterwards, or not buy it imo.

I may be waay off base here, but that is my best guess. I don't sell firearms, I only seem to buy them and keep them forever up to this point.

Re: Why cover the serial number?

He can get the SN when he gets the weapon. People cover them over in pictures because antis have supposedly managed to get the numbers entered in as stolen just to screw with legitimate firearms owners. Given what I know of some people dedicated to the premise of an unarmed populace I can well believe this.