• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why did my SD/ES get worse w/ H4350 compared to IMR 4350? 6.5CM

NORCAL50

Not a Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
California
QUESTION: Based on the data that I have provided herein, what might be the reason my SD/ES numbers are generally worse w/ H4350 compared to IMR 4350? And what would you do to fix it/diagnose the issue.

Background info for all the questions I can foresee coming:

Cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor w/ CCI #200 primers, Berger 140gr Hybrid Target bullets, Lapua LRP brass. H4350/IMR4350. CBTO 2.187" mag length.
Rifle: Howa 1500 KRG Bravo w/ MPOD, rear bag rest and Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 scope. Decent groups for a factory rifle. Non-stainless barrel.

I don't have the IMR 4350 anymore and do not want to go back to it because it's too hard to find and I already got lucky once with 8lbs of H4350.

I have not done a seating depth test. I do that after I find my powder charge. I know some like to do it the other way around. That's fine. All groups in the data are 4 shot groups @100 yards. All powder charges were measured on a digital scale that returned to zero every time, and maintained its calibration throughout the reloading process. Cartridges were not cooked in the chamber or direct sunlight and only loaded into the chamber single shot style when I was steady.

Load Process For 0x Fired Lapua LRP & IMR4350: The total indicated runout (TIR) on the necks was ALL within 0.001" if not less. The factory brass was left untouched as it was before I had my carbide expander mandrel, but all cases we're measuring neck O.D. of 0.289" +/- 0.0005". Bullets were not sorted by base to ogive. Bullets seated w/ Forster Ultra Micrometer. TIR on the loaded bullet was negligible. Most all of them within 0.001" very few 0.002".

Load Process For 2x Fired Lapua LRP & H4350: First deprimed, then wet tumbled w/ SS media+dawn+lemi-shine, then AMP annealed (every firing), then resized on a Lee turret w/ .289" TiN coated bushing in a Redding FL bushing die, then expanded with a .263" Sinclair carbide expander mandrel and after spring back, left me at .290" neck O.D. again +/- 0.0005". Loaded cartridge neck O.D. is .292". TIR with these brass necks is all within 0.0025" and that only shows up after using the bushing die. The bushing is floating as per the instructions. Bullet runout was within 0.004". Bullets WERE sorted by base to ogive and seated with the Forster Micrometer. (Base to ogive only varied by 0.003").

Current Plan of Action: I plan on testing the 41.0gr of H4350 to see if it holds true and if it doesn't, I plan on getting a Forster Co-Ax and a Forster honed die, and then re-testing the same powder charges to see if the Lee Turret + Bushing induced TIR caused the degrade in SD/ES. If that doesn't show improvement, I plan on testing the same powder charges with factory brass to see if something else in my reloading process is causing the error or if it is just the powder.

EDIT: I just realised that my good nodes for both IMR 4350, and H4350 we're both dead on 2,700fps. Thought it was interesting. (41.8gr IMR 4350 and 41.3gr H4350)
Here is the data:

Attachments

• 6.5CM.png
    6.5CM.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 6.5CM H43500.png
    6.5CM H43500.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Statistically I doubt those are truly different between powders. Not sure I’d put a new on of weight on 4 shot groups either.

I’ll defer to @Dthomas3523 who has forgotten more about reloading than I’ll ever know.

Statistically I doubt those are truly different between powders. Not sure I’d put a new on of weight on 4 shot groups either.

I’ll defer to @Dthomas3523 who has forgotten more about reloading than I’ll ever know.
Well, I performed a t-test comparing the mean SD for IMR 4350 and the mean SD for H4350. Our null hypothesis is: The difference in means of SD for IMR 4350 and H4350 is not statistically significant. Our alternate hypothesis is: The difference in means of SD for IMR 4350 and H4350 is statistically significant. For this test I will use the standard α=0.05, meaning we are 95% confident that we are not rejecting a true null hypothesis.

The test returned a p-value of 0.0545 >/= α = .05 and therefore, with 95% confidence, there is technically no statistical significance and we fail to reject the null hypothesis, but this is splitting hairs. Because we are 94.55% confident that the difference in the means of IMR 4350 and H4350s standard deviation was not caused by chance alone.

(It has been a while since I took Statistics so bear with my best try at bringing it all back.)

Last edited:
So a lot less math or science from me, but I'll offer my "experience" with the aforementioned "4350's." Using any one of my 3 6.5 Creedmoor barrels from Wiseman & Co. I've found that my lot of IMR 4350 to use 41.4 grains of powder to match the velocity of 41.6 grains of the H variety.

So simply put: Lot to lot variations can play hell with our observations. We as individual enthusiasts cannot generate sufficient data because of the limited control we have over the potential variables commonly found. This is not meant to say the specifics of our finds are not valid, only that they apply to a very small set of temporary circumstances.

I see SS tumble there, and anneal, and nothing about cleaning the necks after annealing, or lubing the necks before seating. You should brush necks out after annealing. Try using dry lube in the neck.

I would not overhaul my reloading process based on the mean SD from multiple charge weights of two different powder, with a sample of 4 shots each. From 41.4-42 it showing a perfectly acceptable SD, if you consider those samples to be representative. I don't go crazy shooting a bunch of shots over the chromo anymore because I have seen enough data to know my reloading process is consistent enough to trust a sample of 5 to get a number for my ballistic calc.

2700 for 41.3 in Lapau brass sounds kind of slow. What barrel length? What was the velocity at the top end? Sometimes things get more inconsistent when running one the ragged edges of pressure.

The max charge for 140s with H4350 is almost 1 grain less than IMR 4350 in my Hornady manual.

Reactions: Changed
How were the speeds captured?
Caldwell for IMR, LabRadar for H4350. I would like to add it was my second time using the LabRadar but I'm pretty sure I had it setup right. Please do let me know if I didn't. Side of radar was 10" from side of muzzle and the unit was set to a projectile offset of 12 inches. Radar was aligned horizontally and vertically to target. I had a rear facing muzzle brake so I put the unit slightly in front of the brake. It registered all shots... and then some weird 2060fps which could have been muzzle blast. I still need to play around with it. It did have the JKL recoil trigger if that is important.

Last edited:
I see SS tumble there, and anneal, and nothing about cleaning the necks after annealing, or lubing the necks before seating. You should brush necks out after annealing. Try using dry lube in the neck.

I would not overhaul my reloading process based on the mean SD from multiple charge weights of two different powder, with a sample of 4 shots each. From 41.4-42 it showing a perfectly acceptable SD, if you consider those samples to be representative. I don't go crazy shooting a bunch of shots over the chromo anymore because I have seen enough data to know my reloading process is consistent enough to trust a sample of 5 to get a number for my ballistic calc.

2700 for 41.3 in Lapau brass sounds kind of slow. What barrel length? What was the velocity at the top end? Sometimes things get more inconsistent when running one the ragged edges of pressure.

The max charge for 140s with H4350 is almost 1 grain less than IMR 4350 in my Hornady manual.
Lol, yes I do use lube. Hornady OneShot. I let it try a little while before sizing. I then dry tumble after sizing because I don't like water in my brass before loading. I'll give the graphite a try.

I have a 24" Barrel. 2634fps w/ 40.7gr H4350 is the listed velocity for the Berger 140gr Hybrids in the Berger manual so the velocity makes sense 0.6gr higher.

You are correct to assume these are way over book max charges. None of the cases or primers showed pressure signs on IMR and 42.8 of H4350 started showing slight cratering that you could barely feel with a fingernail. Rest assured though, I'm likely picking a load between 41 and 41.6 which is not too far past max. The 41 and 41.6 are tempting but only if they are repeatable which leads me to believe 41.3 would put me on a very wide node if the other two aren't repeatable.

I do try my best to keep SD below 10. Anything below that I am happy with.

Last edited: