• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why did you choose your AI?

Just because you don't want to change your trigger doesn't mean it's actually good

This thread is an echo chamber of bias confirmation
Pretty sure the comp triggers made the ASR fail the mil tests. So yeah hard no on that one

Pretty sure the comp triggers made the ASR fail the mil tests. So yeah hard no on that one

It was. I still have a comp trigger in my rifle, tuned as a lighter true 2 stage to keep bad juju from happening, but i always have the factory trigger in my fix it sticks bag, just in case. I have tried to make the comp trigger fail in this configuration tons of times and have yet to do it, but i know quite a few have in the past. Maybe not all, but most of the failures are those who made their triggers single stages.

IMO, anything .308 based feeds flawlessly. Me running dasher in my AI, ive had to tweak and tweak, and also, run the bolt fast to keep from a feeding problem around the 7th or 8th round in the mag. If i run the bolt fast, no problems. With that said, this system was created for a military combat purpose and wasn't designed to run these little cartridges. I can accept that. Im forcing it do something that it wasn't designed for. It works well enough for me. With .308, CM, or anything of the like, it feeds without a single issue.

I love my AI b/c it makes the panties drop.

The ultimate reliability no matter what is hype.

there is context to this that people ignore...

a custom is only going to feed as smooth and reliable as the smith who sets it up or how lucky you get when you bolt your parts together...if youre an end user who gets a rifle handed to you from a good smith, all is good...but thats not everyone

we've all seen countless "customs" of similar parts and one feeds great, the other hangs every other round

there are certain actions, if you put certain triggers in them, youll get light strikes...if you dont know ahead of time, people find out on the firing line

the last custom comp gun i bolted together...a 223 barreled action i dropped into a chassis in the parking lot before a club match...it would only pick up the first 2 rounds from both of my mags and then skip...a buddy there had the exact same parts and rifle, and his worked fine since day one...took a couple hours worth of fitting to fix it and its butter now

if you took 100 AIs from a box, probably 98 of them are going to run and 2 may require some mag tweaks
if you took 100 rifles worth of custom parts and bolted them together or had them assembled by various smiths...id bet anything that number is way lower

everyone has different expectations too...ive handled plenty of peoples custom rifles who said they feed/felt great that i wouldnt let take up space in my trash can...their "feeding great" is a round makes it into the chamber...i let them run mine and their first words are usually "how can i get mine like that??"

@BLKWLFK9 I have had zero feeding or ejection issues with 6BR over the course of 1100+ rounds. I guess the 30deg to 40deg shoulder change makes all the difference? Mine was literally plug and play. Drop in 6BR Win Tac Bartlein and HRD mag adapters and run.

From the man himself:

E3523E5C-8F1C-44D9-82A7-95C0D21E2941.jpeg

3CF0CD28-C24F-46FC-AB95-180F964C5CBF.jpeg

@BLKWLFK9 I have had zero feeding or ejection issues with 6BR over the course of 1100+ rounds. I guess the 30deg to 40deg shoulder change makes all the difference? Mine was literally plug and play. Drop in 6BR Win Tac Bartlein and HRD mag adapters and run.

it doesnt take much to mess things up when youre talkin feeding/reliability

ejector depth spec on some actions is .016"-.023 from the bolt nose...if you get too close to the .016", they wont feed reliably from AWs, will push off center into the breech face...shave off a few thou from the ejector, works perfectly

buddy of mine couldnt run his custom 6brx w/ a certain bullet because it would nose dive @ whatever jump he was using...switched to a longer bullet and it never had a hang up...it doesnt take much

Last edited:

ejector depth spec on some actions is .016"-.023 from the bolt nose...if you get too close to the .016", they wont feed reliably from AWs, will push off center into the breech face...shave off a few thou from the ejector, works perfectly

buddy of mine couldnt run his custom 6brx w/ a certain bullet because it would nose dive @ whatever jump he was using...switched to a longer bullet and it never had a hang up...it doesnt take much
FWIW I am running Berger 105gr Hybrids Targets at 1.645” CBTO

FWIW I am running Berger 105gr Hybrids Targets at 1.645” CBTO

yea, i think 105s worked for him also...i think it was the berger 108s he tried that wouldnt clear, but i cant remember 100%...his was a custom action from standard aics mags

i was mainly just pointing out how little it takes to change things from great to bad...when we first played with 223 in my AT years ago...anything over about 2.400" OAL would feed...anything closer to standard length 223 of 2.260...100% failure rate

thats why i usually just roll my eyes when people say "i took all my custom parts out of the box and bolted them together and it works perfectly...so you'll be fine!" lol ive seen and worked on enough stuff that comes thru the shop that cuts my barrels to know better

Reactions: blbennett1288
TRGs at least; I have no experience with the M10.
I built my dads old sako L579 into a complete prs/precision rifle and it blows almost every built 700 away in feel of bolt better than modern tikka, and couple other actions (popular ones) unnamed by long margin

Also don't think im comparing mine to ai cause in no way is it close to ai. Lol

I can't say that I like one over the other between my AT or TRG-22.

They are a bit different, however, they are both great. I do think the AT trigger is more robust than the TRG-22 trigger, however, I really do like the feel of the TRG-22 trigger.

Reactions: Winkmeister

This sounds exactly whats happening to me shooting dasher with 105's. Wish i could see a video of someone measuring then shaving the ejector. i aint tryin to fuck shit up.

If you’re anywhere near East Tennessee you’re more than welcome to put some rounds through mine, give ya the fever.

Thank you, just took a look.

It´s about 7,500km, that´s somewhat above 4,600 miles air line.

But Nashville would be a blast.

(y);)

I went 6GT to avoid these problems in a platform that I wasn't going to have a lot of tuning options with, and I'm still having the occasional nose hitting the tenon or the bolt skipping over a round that didn't get pushed all the way up. But I bought these mags in 2008 so I figure the springs are weak

No, it ain't the springs, brother. The GT does it with new mags in most actions. @samb300 is having the same issues with his AI 6GT barrel.

The GT is not really true to advertised. Most everyone I know running a GT still runs mag kits. So what is really the benefit to a dasher, especially with the pressure issues i see so frequently. Ya know? I had high hopes that the GT would be great. I wouldve eventually bought a barrel chambered in it.

I haven't had the time to play around with a custom spacer for the 6GT; I tried one and still had issues. I ran 6GT at my last club match and it fed 100%, but I was very mindful to tap the mag before each stage to ensure all the rounds were all the way forward in the mag. I had issues on the 2nd-to-last round where it would pop out of the feed lips early, and the bolt would ram the round into the barrel tenon face.

I determined the 6GT base-to-shoulder length is ever so slightly too short for 100% reliable feeding. If I put a 6.5x47L or 308 case in as the first round loaded (so it would be the last round to be chambered), the 2nd-to-last 6GT round would chamber perfectly. This is due to the 2nd-to-last round being supported by both the follower and the last round...it's weird. When I video'd it and played it in slow motion it's plain as day, the round pops up, and unless you stop the forward bolt movement, it rams right into the tenon.

If I use a 0.150" thick spacer it puts the 6GT shoulder in approximately the same position relative to the feed lips as a 6.5x47L, or a Dasher with a 0.350" spacer.

I have to disagree at least with my TRG-22 and AT. They are both smooth, however, the AT seems to be smoother to me.

I might have gotten three exceptional TRGs. AX has a looser bolt fit, though which can translate to less resistance moving it. TRG bolt lift is a bit harder, but closure is easier. The TRGs do respond worse to dust.

I'd still take the AI and was just nitpicking small differences.

If action slickness were all that mattered, I'd be shooting a Krag.

Mentioned this thread on tonights podcast.

Reactions: RS14
I might have gotten three exceptional TRGs. AX has a looser bolt fit, though which can translate to less resistance moving it. TRG bolt lift is a bit harder, but closure is easier. The TRGs do respond worse to dust.

I'd still take the AI and was just nitpicking small differences.

If action slickness were all that mattered, I'd be shooting a Krag.

Yeah it really is nitpicking.

I was all set to still prefer my AI AT over the TRG-22 before I got it in my hands, however, after getting it all set up and shooting them both within the same week it's harder for me to say I prefer one over the other. I know either blow away my CTR in the KRG Bravo chassis.

I still think the AI is more robust than the TRG-22, however, for just shooting I really enjoy the TRG-22.

I will say that I'm NOT looking forward to changing the barrel on the TRG-22 compared to the AT as I've read they use loctite and it is a PITA so I may send it off to be changed the first time.

Yeah it really is nitpicking.

I was all set to still prefer my AI AT over the TRG-22 before I got it in my hands, however, after getting it all set up and shooting them both within the same week it's harder for me to say I prefer one over the other. I know either blow away my CTR in the KRG Bravo chassis.

I still think the AI is more robust than the TRG-22, however, for just shooting I really enjoy the TRG-22.

I will say that I'm NOT looking forward to changing the barrel on the TRG-22 compared to the AT as I've read they use loctite and it is a PITA so I may send it off to be changed the first time.
I changed two TRG barrels. Easy. A few wraps on the action wrench handle with a rubber mallet and they break free.
I would like to shoot an AI just because. I will probably end up buying one to play with for a while like I do with everything else. I never end up keeping anything for very long though.

I bought 2 of the pre MC versions from
Mile High when they were closing them out. They were very nice and accurate enough in my hands. I just wasn’t blown down by them but I build my own rifles so that probably played a big part in my opinion. I sold them for a profit and used the proceeds for builds. I did like the ergos of them and I still run two rifles with the AX chassis but I’ve come to like the offerings from several chassis makers more such as KRG and MPA. I’ve got an MDT ACC chassis that I really like the looks of but I’ve yet to get a rifle in it.

They are for sure a fine rifle. I do think the TRG’s are competitive with them as far as accuracy, smoothness, and reliability. Kind of like a non poor’s savage lol. Someday I might have another.

I bought 2 of the pre MC versions from
Mile High when they were closing them out. They were very nice and accurate enough in my hands. I just wasn’t blown down by them but I build my own rifles so that probably played a big part in my opinion. I sold them for a profit and used the proceeds for builds. I did like the ergos of them and I still run two rifles with the AX chassis but I’ve come to like the offerings from several chassis makers more such as KRG and MPA. I’ve got an MDT ACC chassis that I really like the looks of but I’ve yet to get a rifle in it.

They are for sure a fine rifle. I do think the TRG’s are competitive with them as far as accuracy, smoothness, and reliability. Kind of like a non poor’s savage lol. Someday I might have another.

Desert Tech is the non-poor's Savage imo. I have them all as well as a Bighorn TL-2 and Tikka CTR and smooth isn't a word I would use to describe the SRS action. It works and shoots well but it's only real advantage to me is that it costs half of what the AXMC does and it can shoot 223.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
To be honest .....the name does a lot ....AI Accuracy International !!!! Whaw !!!!
But to be true it shoots extremely accurate !!! It's strong built , very nice look.
But none of us as sport shooter except armed forces or police departments or special forces can really benefit the real potential of this rifle.
And now a confession. I have several Rem 700 rifles and some people talk inferior about these rifles but I like them a lot. Very good accuracy in several calibers.
The attachment is a Rem 700 VSSF with AICS stock in 308 caliber .
So people this is my statement . I own AW and REM rifles but the AW.....
It's the last rifle I would sell .
IMG.jpg

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I want to add something to this post. On my previous post.
What I see on the most of the reply's is and I don't want to step on toes is the very magnificent pictures of extremely good looking rifles and i am convinced
that all these rifles shoot remarkably accurate but I don't see target results .
Its like going to buy a new car BMW or Mercedes or... for staying in the same price category......in a showroom but do they drive/shoot all as good ?????
The bottom line is and its my only personal opinion. As sport shooter and I can prove it the target results are more than once the same between other rifles factory's. All depends on how much you want to spent on it and how fortuned your wallet is .

Plenty of targets and rifles to look at here...

What I see on the most of the reply's is and I don't want to step on toes is the very magnificent pictures of extremely good looking rifles and i am convinced
that all these rifles shoot remarkably accurate but I don't see target results .
Its like going to buy a new car BMW or Mercedes or... for staying in the same price category......in a showroom but do they drive/shoot all as good ?????
The bottom line is and its my only personal opinion. As sport shooter and I can prove it the target results are more than once the same between other rifles factory's. All depends on how much you want to spent on it and how fortuned your wallet is .

Attachments

• D73EA673-1223-4C75-921D-19FC7D165AE5.jpeg
    D73EA673-1223-4C75-921D-19FC7D165AE5.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: jean-paul
I have an AI AT (.308, but awaiting a 6.5CM barrel), reasons: quality, switch barrel, can be used in a number of different competitions. Once I became interested in shooting, I became a bit of an AI fanboy - it can happen to anyone! If I had the money, I would have a safe full of AIs.
I went the same way... EuroOptic had my AT on Demo sale in November... dealt with Kyle Payne, and he is a great fellow and always there to assist... .308 was the pre-mounted barrel at the price... bought the 6.5cr barrel with it, as that was my intention from the beginning... mounted a S&B PMII 5-25 with GRID reticle... unit in total weighs 18.25 lbs... to say it is a sweet shooter is a gross (beyond belief) understatement... sorted through the usual manufactured ammo, Federal, Black Hills, Norma, until I immediately settled on Hornady 140 ELD-M's... which from the start produced .25 accuracy within 5 groupings of 3 shots.. to say that I am pleased goes without saying... since then I have gone back to Kyle several times for AR-15 and geissele trigger and Trijicon MRO , Sig range finder, Trijicon RMR for my Glock... the rifle and EuroOptic are a great go to source

I went the same way... EuroOptic had my AT on Demo sale in November... dealt with Kyle Payne, and he is a great fellow and always there to assist... .308 was the pre-mounted barrel at the price... bought the 6.5cr barrel with it, as that was my intention from the beginning... mounted a S&B PMII 5-25 with GRID reticle... unit in total weighs 18.25 lbs... to say it is a sweet shooter is a gross (beyond belief) understatement... sorted through the usual manufactured ammo, Federal, Black Hills, Norma, until I immediately settled on Hornady 140 ELD-M's... which from the start produced .25 accuracy within 5 groupings of 3 shots.. to say that I am pleased goes without saying... since then I have gone back to Kyle several times for AR-15 and geissele trigger and Trijicon MRO , Sig range finder, Trijicon RMR for my Glock... the rifle and EuroOptic are a great go to source

I too mounted an S&B, but a second focal plane 12-50x56 with P4F reticule. I use Lapua brass, Fedral 210 primer, 185gr bullets and 45grs of VihtaVuori N150 (this works for me, not sure about others).

Unfortunaly here in the UK, AR-15s in fact all semi auto centre fire rifles ( .22LR rimfire semi auto are allowed) and pistols (other than long barrelled versions) are banned :(

I too mounted an S&B, but a second focal plane 12-50x56 with P4F reticule. I use Lapua brass, Fedral 210 primer, 185gr bullets and 45grs of VihtaVuori N150

Out of curiosity which 185 projectile are you using and what length barrel and twist?

Out of curiosity which 185 projectile are you using and what length barrel and twist?

Barrel is 26" with a muzzle brake and the twist is 1 in 12 as AI standard. I started with 185 Berger Juggernaut, however, there has been problem sourcing these in the UK, so now I use Lapua Scenar 185s.

I picked AI because they are very well built military grade rifles. They are accurate and just shoot. I looked at all the multi cal rifles available and what I saw was you can get barrel in any caliber you want not just what the manufacturer produces . DTA barrels are available but more expansive. The Remington, SAKO, FN, Steyr and MRAD have limited barrel and caliber selection. I have 4 AI's and am very happy with all of them. Don't get me wrong the other a also very well made and accurate but for me just too limited.

Excluding a couple of other chassis (AICS 1.5 & AICS AXSR), these are the rifles I have owned. Currently using an AXSR, AT-X and AICS AXSR Vudoo.

The refined action, magazines, prefit barrels and company history are what got me initially.

AI Rifles.jpg

Initially I had an AICS 1.5 chassis with the thumb hole stock was a classic... Didn't really like the thumb hole.

Next came an AICS AX fixed stock chassis pre-2014 (rounded plastic shell back end), that was excellent (top rifle), but was still a Remington, wasn't quite what I wanted.

Sold off a few things to fund an AI AT rifle that was absolutely outstanding, absolutely an excellent platform but wasn't the right shape for barricade use.

Swapped out the AT for an AX short action, big step up in terms of adaptability with the folding, paddle lever back end. Excellent rifle, same action and barrels as the AT... Didn't like the hand guard and ended up changing most of the rifle, in the direction of the AT-X (AR grip conversion, Arca front end, arca hand guard etc....) Fantastic rifle. Numerous podium finishes in the Australian PRS series ending up 4th nationally pre-Rona and taking a match in New Zealand. Out of the box it's great, with a few tweaks like the competition trigger, they really step forward.

Always wanted a magnum action AI, waited two years for the AXSR to arrive. 300WinMag, 300PRC, 6.5mm Creed, 338LM, waiting on a 308 16.5" carbon barrel. This thing is my favourite rifle, it's the first to come out of the safe. My primary hunting rifle now. The 300PRC with 210gr VLD Hunting projectiles SMASH everything in the mountains.

Shooting for Team AI Australia, we were very fortunate to pick up the first batch of AT-X rifles here recently. Got some weights not long ago, tuning that up. The in-built Arca rails, AR grip, cut outs etc. are all a big step forwards for PRS style shooting. It's an AT in a different chassis more suited to comps as everyone knows. Overall, outstanding.

AICS AXSR, sold a few things to fund this and the V360 V22 Vudoo action as a 'trainer' rifle. It's the most refined AICS to date, just really well built, you can feel the quality in the hinge and components. It's the kind of thing you plan on keeping for decades.

The appealing thing about AI is that things are refined, clean, simple, rugged and just simply work.

Excluding a couple of other chassis (AICS 1.5 & AICS AXSR), these are the rifles I have owned. Currently using an AXSR, AT-X and AICS AXSR Vudoo.

The refined action, magazines, prefit barrels and company history are what got me initially.

View attachment 7837214

Initially I had an AICS 1.5 chassis with the thumb hole stock was a classic... Didn't really like the thumb hole.

Next came an AICS AX fixed stock chassis pre-2014 (rounded plastic shell back end), that was excellent (top rifle), but was still a Remington, wasn't quite what I wanted.

Sold off a few things to fund an AI AT rifle that was absolutely outstanding, absolutely an excellent platform but wasn't the right shape for barricade use.

Swapped out the AT for an AX short action, big step up in terms of adaptability with the folding, paddle lever back end. Excellent rifle, same action and barrels as the AT... Didn't like the hand guard and ended up changing most of the rifle, in the direction of the AT-X (AR grip conversion, Arca front end, arca hand guard etc....) Fantastic rifle. Numerous podium finishes in the Australian PRS series ending up 4th nationally pre-Rona and taking a match in New Zealand. Out of the box it's great, with a few tweaks like the competition trigger, they really step forward.

Always wanted a magnum action AI, waited two years for the AXSR to arrive. 300WinMag, 300PRC, 6.5mm Creed, 338LM, waiting on a 308 16.5" carbon barrel. This thing is my favourite rifle, it's the first to come out of the safe. My primary hunting rifle now. The 300PRC with 210gr VLD Hunting projectiles SMASH everything in the mountains.

Shooting for Team AI Australia, we were very fortunate to pick up the first batch of AT-X rifles here recently. Got some weights not long ago, tuning that up. The in-built Arca rails, AR grip, cut outs etc. are all a big step forwards for PRS style shooting. It's an AT in a different chassis more suited to comps as everyone knows. Overall, outstanding.

AICS AXSR, sold a few things to fund this and the V360 V22 Vudoo action as a 'trainer' rifle. It's the most refined AICS to date, just really well built, you can feel the quality in the hinge and components. It's the kind of thing you plan on keeping for decades.

The appealing thing about AI is that things are refined, clean, simple, rugged and just simply work.
If you guys are ever looking for someone to join the AI team from across the Tasman just hit me up.

I think you'll find my conditions are very generous (as in there are none).

Reactions: 96C
I've been through a LOT of rifles the last 15 years but nothing compares to my AW. It's the one rifle I would sell the last, and the one I would reach for if I needed a rifle for hard times.

I have an AW and love it. Doubt I’ll ever sell it. Mostly just cause I like it. It’s a cool rifle and I have a hat that says it’s the “world’s best sniper rifle.”
It’s not more accurate, more reliable than my Impact match rifle. It’s not any easier to swap barrels than my Impact. I prefer the trigger on my Impact.
But it’s staying with me because I enjoy owning it a lot. How can you not love an AI?!

I’ve had an AT, and now have an AXMC. By far my favorite rifle. One that will never get sold. For me it just works. Period. Always.

Reactions: MarinePMI