• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do people still mount scopes the way they do?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
As it would pertain to 1pc mounts specifically.

Just mounting it in the ring setup, off of the gun, then put the entire assembly on the pic rail?

Seems like you're fighting 2 battles trying to level the gun and the scope.

Why isn't it common practice to put the ring/mount setup on a known, flat surface then just install and level the scope in the mount/ring setup? Short of some major mfg defects, the pic rail on the gun will be absurdly flat.

Last edited:
Might be easier to get the proper eye relief. That's the only reason I can think of off the cuff.
Yeah, I assumed eye relief established during a prior loose fitting, then removed for leveling, and securement.

Reactions: Snuby642
As opposed to mounting it in the ring setup, off of the gun, then put the entire assembly on the pic rail?

Why isn't it common practice to put the ring/mount setup on a known, flat surface then just install and level the scope in the mount/ring setup? Short of some major mfg defects, the pic rail on the gun will be absurdly flat.
Perhaps because the majority of rifle owners do this task infrequently and therefore doesn’t justify the cost of the kind of fixture needed to do it right.

perhaps putting on the pic rail assures the spacing is correct as well.
i would be pissed if i mounted and leveled a scope and then it would not go on the rail.

perhaps putting on the pic rail assures the spacing is correct. i would be pissed if i mounted a scope and them it would not go on the rail.
Fair point. In my mind I was thinking 1pc mounts. I'll edit.

Reactions: n0glock
Perhaps because the majority of rifle owners do this task infrequently and therefore doesn’t justify the cost of the kind of fixture needed to do it right.
What fixture are you refering to?

What fixture are you refering to?
Couple of examples

Couple of examples

What would the real world advantage of that be over a smooth, known flat surface?
Assuming your mount has a flat bottom.

You would know the ring spacing is correct for a standard rail. Though that's not relevant for a one piece mount.

Reactions: lash
Hmmm . . . seems like a gun vice (or other good rest) with the gun in it and a level on the pic rail gets you to exactly the same place as the first overpriced device, and you will know it fits correctly as well . . . . You can then level to a plumb nob (or whatever) or use something like a Wheeler scope level to true it to the rail.

???

Bigger question is why do people make scope mounting so difficult.

-Hang a plumb bob
-Get behind the rifle into your natural position and align the scope/reticle with the plumb bob
- Reset your position behind the rifle and make sure your natural position and cross hair still aligns with plumb bob
-Done

Should take no more that 2 minutes and a piece of string with a weight on one end.

You should be spending more time getting the forward/aft position correct so you maintain your sight picture in different shooting positions.

If you already have picatiny rails.

leveler-2__35125.1600107001.jpg

Why would I waste $165-200 when I can mount the scope easy enough in my kitchen with a small level? LOL I already spend enough on a "fixture" I can shoot. ;)

Set eye relief in position first, mark the position of both rings on the rifle and of the scope in the rings. Loosely clamp rifle in vise and level, then tighten. Bolt on rings and scope. Done.

Reactions: lash
What would the real world advantage of that be over a smooth, known flat surface?
Assuming your mount has a flat bottom.
So, exactly what flat, smooth, completely level surface that can secure a scope and rings sufficient to hold it steady while you level and tighten the rings are you envisioning.

90% of the world doesn't care about everything being perfect. They are shooting animals at 100yds or less. I would think all of the people like some here that want precision know how, have there own methods to mount/level a scope. I have killed a metric fuck ton of things with a 4x bushnell that was mounted on a Winchester 30-30 that my dad mounted while probably holding the whole mess in his lap, I was too young to remember just speculating how he did it. You get the point.

Are you saying I should put my 1 piece mount on a flat table and tighten down the ring caps making sure the reticle stays level? Talk about a wobbly fuckin mess.

Its a hell of a lot easier to do that when the mount is already torqued down on the rail on my rifle.

My rifles are always held in a vise when I'm fucking with them though.

So, exactly what flat, smooth, completely level surface that can secure a scope and rings sufficient to hold it steady while you level and tighten the rings are you envisioning.
Why would you need to secure it to the surface?

Bottom of 1pc mount is flat, set it on said surface. Install and level scope in the mount. Tighten ring screws. Done.

Why would you need to secure it to the surface?

Bottom of 1pc mount is flat, set it on said surface. Install and level scope in the mount. Tighten ring screws. Done.
knock yourself out....you got it.

Reactions: PDXGS
Are you saying I should put my 1 piece mount on a flat table and tighten down the ring caps making sure the reticle stays level? Talk about a wobbly fuckin mess.

Its a hell of a lot easier to do that when the mount is already torqued down on the rail on my rifle.

My rifles are always held in a vise when I'm fucking with them though.
Why would it wobble?

As it would pertain to 1pc mounts specifically.

Just mounting it in the ring setup, off of the gun, then put the entire assembly on the pic rail?

A) Why do you care how anyone does anything on rifles that don't belong to you?

B) Why would anyone NOT put the mounts/rings on the rifle, level it in a vise, then mount and level the scope to it? That way ALL the manufacturing variations in the receiver, base, and rings get nulled out.

C) Why do you think the pic rail on a rifle is absurdly flat? What's absurdly flat? I bet you didn't know that the top of a pic rail (datum C) can deviate from perfect flatness by up to .005" in any direction.

What's wrong with mounting a scope this way? Put a level on the rail, put a level on the scope or hang a plum bob - job done.

Or buy a Spuhr mount if you don't want to use a level...

What's wrong with mounting a scope this way? Put a level on the rail, put a level on the scope or hang a plum bob - job done.

Or buy a Spuhr mount if you don't want to use a level...
Or buy an Ariska leveling tool if you don’t want to pay Spuhr prices. Right?

Reactions: JohnCarter17
A) Why do you care how anyone does anything on rifles that don't belong to you?

B) Why would anyone NOT put the mounts/rings on the rifle, level it in a vise, then mount and level the scope to it? That way ALL the manufacturing variations in the receiver, base, and rings get nulled out.

C) Why do you think the pic rail on a rifle is absurdly flat? What's absurdly flat? I bet you didn't know that the top of a pic rail (datum C) can deviate from perfect flatness by up to .005" in any direction.
I'd speculate that any deviations in the flatness of a rail, mount or whatever is well under what you could detect with a bubble level.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Yeah. I never thought that it needed to be very complicated. Though I have been in a LGS when customers have come in to have the Smith mount their optic for them. So I get the trepidation. It’s usually caused by lack of regular experience and understandable.

Some stocks just don't fit like you would like them to- and the gun is not in the best position when perfectly level. So you need to get the gun setup how it is going to be positioned in your shoulder and then level the scope at that point. And if you do this it will probably not be perfectly level in the mount-

I usually mount the scope right on the rifle with the said rifle sitting on top of a tripod in a nice steady arca clamp or shooting saddle of some sort. That way, I can easily level everything out, set eyerelief, etc.

ILya
Yup, that's how I do it too.

Maybe some of us have more sensitive angle instruments than a carpenter's level

I'm still wondering why is this even a question
Did you seriously just suggest you had a BUBBLE level accurate enough to detect manufacturing variations in a pic rail?
I'm sorry, but if indeed there were some discrepancies, a bubble level ain't finding them unless the piece in question has been beaten with a sledge hammer.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardboard Assassin
I have a couple of these:

Each graduation of the bubble scale indicates .0005" per 10", or 10 arc seconds. About .003°.
On a 6" long pic rail each graduation would indicate a change of .0003".

But, I don't think I could balance it on a pic rail.

So yea, levels that accurate certainly exist. The glass spirit vial contains a very low viscosity fluid, and is curved like an inverted rainbow, to get such a high level of sensitivity. But they aren't practical$$ for levelling a scope. Hell, levelling a lathe with one is pretty tough.

For scopes, I just stack business cards between the scope and base. It gets the scope plenty level enough. Snug up the rings, pull out a card, snug a little more, then pull out the cards and torque the screws.

Last edited:
Did you seriously just suggest you had a BUBBLE level accurate enough to detect manufacturing variations in a pic rail?
I'm sorry, but if indeed there were some discrepancies, a bubble level ain't finding them unless the piece in question has been beaten with a sledge hammer.

Actually he said some have more accurate instruments than a bubble level meaning something other than a bubble level.

That said any of those super small differences won’t mean anything. Level the rifle rail, mount scope level to it and you are fine. Here is my super calibrated leveling device I have used for years to mount many scopes on many rifles.

19AD089A-5C80-42F7-941F-C8364CBAB0D4.jpeg

Actually he said some have more accurate instruments than a bubble level meaning something other than a bubble level.

That said any of those super small differences won’t mean anything. Level the rifle rail, mount scope level to it and you are fine. Here is my super calibrated leveling device I have used for years to mount many scopes on many rifles.

View attachment 7670205
yeah, but do you really even shoot bro???

I will say, that the OP probably needs to buy one of the SPUHR mounts in the fundraiser FS ad, they have a do-dad for leveling.
And a level built into the mount!!!

Last edited:
@EotS

Scroll down a bit. We have mounts in 30, 34, and 36 mm for any Pic rail. ALso specialty mounts in the original post.
Leveling is a brain dead activity with these!

I’m afraid the more you speak, the less you know.

Use the rifle it is going on. If several I'm assuming that you ordered or adjusted your rifles to have the same LOP. I shoot the same actions across the board so that variable is removed. You don't even need a level if your are using a quality action or base and a quality mount. Feeler gauges are your friend. Use the gauges to true the bottom of the turret housing to the rail or mount. Doesn't get much easier.

All the higher end scope manufacturers true the reticle off of the bottom of the housing.

71VDiXHmvzL._AC_SS450_.jpg