• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do some eye boxes seem picky?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Maybe this is a dumb question that exposes some of my rifles as not being set up right... But I will ask anyways.

Why do some eye boxes seem harder to get a clear shadow free image than other scopes?

For example I have two leupold mk4s. One is a fixed 10x that you can literally throw your face at and always get a good crisp picture.

My other mk4 is an 8-25 and that seems like it's a woman... I'm always fishing around trying to get it just right. It's just not as fast to aquire (even if set to 10x) as the first mk4.

That’s because it’s a Leupold MK4, and Leupold MK4’s suck….

Honestly it’s likely set up incorrectly. You should be able to rest on the cheek rest and have a clear view of scope. Even with a picky eyebox.

Set length of pull on the stock. Set the scope on the highest magnification. Move the scope or rings back or forward depending on your setup until you achieve a clear picture. You may have to adjust the cheek comb as well to get proper height with rings

But to reiterate my first thoughts….Leupold sucks 😎

Reactions: Huskydriver
maybe for the same reason some people will complain about anything , everyone is made slightly differently some are just special with special needs .

Maybe this is a dumb question that exposes some of my rifles as not being set up right... But I will ask anyways.

Why do some eye boxes seem harder to get a clear shadow free image than other scopes?

For example I have two leupold mk4s. One is a fixed 10x that you can literally throw your face at and always get a good crisp picture.

My other mk4 is an 8-25 and that seems like it's a woman... I'm always fishing around trying to get it just right. It's just not as fast to aquire (even if set to 10x) as the first mk4.
Look up the Exit Pupil specs on both your scopes. Especially pay attention to what happens to that EP when your variable is on the high X.

Some scopes are WAY picky regardless of "setup" because they have shitty little eye boxes you have to be in to get a clear and full view.

FOV, DOF and Exit Pupil are the main drivers of our scope selection.

./

Agreed, some scopes are just not as forgiving as others. It is probably the eye piece design. Years ago I had a Leupy 8-25 that had a very strict eyebox. You had to be directly behind the rifle to be able to see the whole scope picture, but I also had a Zeiss Conquest that seemed as if you could pick up the scope picture as you were raising the rifle.

If I remember correctly, the eng from Leupold stated in a stream I was watching that most folks do not understand why objective men’s size matters.

it is not because a larger objective “gathers” more light.

Rather, objective size divided by the magnification equals the exit pupil width.

I don’t know what determine depth of field, that being the determinant for the fore/aft dimension of the eye box.

where are some of our expert optical guys. I’m an idiot on thin ice w this but that is what the Leupold guy said and I’ve seen that somewhere else in writing.

Hope my pitiful contribution is somewhat helpful.

It is helping, I really like my mk4 10x but this 8-25 is letting me down. In the old days I wouldn't hesitate to buy new glass to try it out, but after having my little one I am trying to hunt down a replacement that has an eye box that feels quick to pick up but is a little more budget friendly.

Bonus points for being able to sell my 8-25 to pay for it in full.

First stage I shot at 15x and lost my target easy, dropped down to 10-12x through the rest of the match til I took some stable shots at the 1000, when I kicked it up to 20x.

I really think a 3-12 or 4-16 might not be a bad idea. I've considered the one of the bushnell DMR 3-21, I see them pop up sub $800.