• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Why does USMC Digital woodland have black?

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Since black is the worst cammo color that is often used, why does the usmc digital woodland have black in it? Why couldnt they put another brown color in it? What does digital camm do better than non digital like multi cam?

MARPAT woodland seems to work better at night than anything else that I have tried. Even mutlicam seems to reflect light like acu's but MARPAT makes you almost invisible in the dark.

Re: Why does USMC Digital woodland have black?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to match things like shadows, darker colored foliage, and give a optical illusion of breaking up the human form. </div></div>

100% Agree. this is not a 50mm black circle. It just breaks up the shape.

Do some studying on camouflage found in nature. Why does a cheetah's or leopard's camouflage work so well with black spots? How about the orange, white and black stripes on a tiger? Black stripes or flecks on snakes? Their camouflage not only inhibits the prey's ability to judge distance during the chase, it conceals them during the stalk to pouncing distance by breaking up their outline.

MARPAT uses the same philosophy in its mixture of positive (green and coyote) and negative (black) space to break up the outline.

i think us marine corps uniform is the badass uniform from dress blue to combat uniform.
laugh.gif

Plus, black is the most tactical color there is. "Black-ops" is just one example of how it can be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides, black makes you invincible! </div></div> Also makes you look slimmer...therefore helps you blend in better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude cause Ninja's use it!! Duh!!! </div></div>

Coffee actually came out my nose ... My dog is looking at me like im on crack ... Hilarious ....

Seriously, I think this is a perfectly fine question.

With that being said, I can't help but point out that it can be worn after Labor Day, which is a plus for those missions that may run long into the fall.

Reactions: Aftermath

Had a similar discussion with Oregon Shooter the other day regarding camo. We were looking at this:

http://www.itstactical.com/2009/12/16/camouflage-comparison-results/

Gotta remember - I am red / green / brown color blind so I see things differently - but none of these patterns are really any good in more than one of the locations shown and most are just bad everywhere. Some of these, ACU and Pencott esp, are like flashing neon "Hey over here". MARPAT Desert isn't good anywhere but it isn't terrible in any one location either. Woodland - look at those pics and think if they would have put it in the location that would have made the best use of the shadow - it would have done very well. On that note - I think the smaller pixalated patterns are better than the big random swoopy ones and therefore I think MARPAT Woodland would be pretty good as a general camo pattern. Although black (short of obsidian) is pretty much a non occurring shade in nature, extremely dark brown on the other hand isn't.

Again, I am the color blind guy so none of it truly blends in to me.

Good luck

It helps break up your outline and makes you blend into shadows and shaded areas better

Cad-Pat, Mar-Pat and ACU all use the same pattern, just different colors. Marpat before it was accepted by the USMC, was proposed for the Army. Army turned it down, then Gen. Jones saw it and loved it.

Anyways, I forgot where I was going with that. The black in the marpat pattern isn't such a big deal. Also I find that the desert pattern works well in the treeline as well. Often when ever you see comparison of patterns, they are all clean. As uniforms and gear get dirty, they appearance can change. I always preferred to be lighter then darker (ie desert uniform), as I could get darker by getting dirtier.