• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why don’t more people use Drones?

Juggerxxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I was on line the other day looking for two items; new extended range finder and a target cam and i had an idea. Why not a drone and kill two birds with one stone? They essentially are an accurate range finder to within a foot or so and you can hover for 30 minutes above the target to get very accurate information on where the impacts and misses are.
I didn’t see drones being used to much for this application and didn’t know if I was missing something?

Not only that, but a drone has all the data needed to measure the wind at max ordinate and target. You can literally move the “science department “ downrange.

The problem I see is that in tactical/hunting/competition environments, you’ll still need the “art department” downrange, so this would be more of a training tool—like using a Kestrel while walking around. It’s more to get your brain to associate numbers with what your eye sees downrange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juggerxxx
So which of the shelf drone preferably well under 1000$ you would be able to use at 1000+y and what picture quality you could get. in the end how does it compare to off the shelf target cam in the picture department .?

Last edited:
Unless you have good cell phone coverage & a drone setup to use it, you'll need a bit of a higher end setup if you want your drone to be able to be active around the 1000yard + range or send you back video at that range.

So which of the shelf drone you would be able to use at 1000+y and what picture quality you could get. in the end how does it compare to off the shelf target cam in the picture department .?
I had the same question and from what I found I was absolute shocked! Video feed is 4K out to 3 miles!!!!!!!
The video is of the one I will be picking up when Costco gets them in on Monday or Tuesday. Even comes with the vertual reality goggles I think will be very useful on bright days. Only cost $1,299

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
I have a mavic pro I use for work and it has no issue well past 1000 yds. I've never used it for shooting and its typically in more urban areas, but I have flown it out to around 2 miles without issue. I believe they claim 4.3 miles max.

I have a mavic pro I use for work and it has no issue well past 1000 yds. I've never used it for shooting and its typically in more urban areas, but I have flown it out to around 2 miles without issue. I believe they claim 4.3 miles max.
Sounds like you have been happy with the Mavic pro?
Ever use it for spotting shoots at long distance? See any faults with using it for that? What type of flight time were you seeing? I see most tests stating ~24minutes for the pro and ~26minutes for the platinum. I suppose you could land it 50 yards to the left or right of the target when not needed rather than hovering or bring it back?

Sounds like you have been happy with the Mavic pro?
Ever use it for spotting shoots at long distance? See any faults with using it for that? What type of flight time were you seeing? I see most tests stating ~24minutes for the pro and ~26minutes for the platinum. I suppose you could land it 50 yards to the left or right of the target when not needed rather than hovering or bring it back?

I've never tried it for spotting. I use it for documenting progress on our jobsites. I would say it would work fine for spotting. The camera takes surprisingly good video and pics, and it stays very stable. Flight times are probably in the 25ish min range, but I've never really paid much attention. They have been relatively problem free and easy to fly. I'm no drone expert, and there are better out there. but they do everything we need.

They have a newer Mavic (and a newer everything every cycle) but I have no complaints about my $1000 investment in last year's Mavic Pro. Haven't used it for hunting though but the photos are excellent for its size.

The caveat is that wind and trees will eventually kill it if you fly a lot, sooner or later. Earlier in the Winter I took it up to Lake Ontario on a gusty day and once it got above the trees the wind was much stronger and carried it away. By lowering and carefully threading it through the trees I was able to get it back but lesson learned.

Amazing technology and a lot of fun. It's shame they're illegal in many spots but I can understand why.

Very cool guys and I am very excited to try this out as soon as I get it. I have a shoot coming up on the 6th with distances starting at a mile. I will report back how well the Mavic serves for this purpose. Hopefully with some videos.

Waiting for the day we all have our personal drone that just follows us around recording our daily activities and doing some reconnaissance and such. It's like a 21st century dog.

I’ve used the drone over inaccessible places but it’s hard, for me at least, to let it go out of sight (as well as being illegal in most places). Half a mile is the limit for me, then $$$ matters. Shit happens, Murphy’s Law, etc.

Also to get at the raw files and 4K video you’ll want to return the drone and manually download media to a computer (or tablet I guess). Over the air transmission is limited bandwidth so it’s not like you can zoom in while flying and read license plate numbers ~ you’d have to be really close, like 20’ away. It’s a wide angle like a GoPro so small details are lost. I think you’ll have a hard time seeing bullet holes on paper in the real world. Or you’ll be so close you run the danger of shooting it.

I’m also skeptical of really getting 4K over the air consistently but if you have a really great connection maybe? Not an expert by any means but I tend to take marketing claims with a grain of salt because... I used to own an ad agency?

Unless you have the government’s satellite bandwidth you aren’t going to improve on physics even with a much more expensive rig.

It’s great for seeing what’s wrong on your roof or buzzing the dog. No topless sunbathers around worth checking out ;-/

Last edited:
That is true , as in target cams your HD or 4K video feed is limited, most drones use reatively low reoslution flaing cam and HD recording cam ,we have been playing with various DIY target cams over the years ,and components come from drones except with more battery life and better larger antenaes + narrow FOV lenses at a fraction of a cost of a Mavic drone. Build my first target cam 5 years ago could go well over a mile but not in high resolution + monitor was quite poor in sunlight ,antena on the recieveing end was huge . In mean time FPV tech progresed considerably prices droped i reckon i can make a 150-200$ target cam system for over a mile.

For me ideal would be a target cam that would send down just couple of frames per second to minimise traffic demands in very high resolution , second a converson to work make it digital to work on adroids or IOS tablets (had mixed luck with that so far) where we can process changes in picture to mark shots.(have it working only thing that sometimes makes for false hits is if wind moves the target frame )

But this shotmaker seems the ticket , better than target cam with much less bandwidth demands and so potentialy much less stuff to carry . who needs a live picture if you can get hits on the plot.
at 800$ it not cheap but its not expensive ither if it works as advertised.
https://www.autotrickler.com/shotmarker.html

Will be testing a prototype ELR optic next week, a guy with a couple of DJi drones is
helping out with some video stuff . Apparently 5000 meters is no issue for the toys
he runs . Will report back with results .

Will be testing a prototype ELR optic next week, a guy with a couple of DJi drones is
helping out with some video stuff . Apparently 5000 meters is no issue for the toys
he runs . Will report back with results .
Heck yes please do!

I’ve used my mavic pro for that range estimation and target camera. 1233 yards cross canyon with super switching winds. Depending on time of day there are updrafts and downdrafts

F9B1B0CD-3090-4225-BA88-2761E321613A.jpeg

Attachments

• 57DB8DA0-8B3A-49E7-8C48-38AF1F2E30E9.png
    57DB8DA0-8B3A-49E7-8C48-38AF1F2E30E9.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
@hic28 that's respectable

Two person job? Hard to manage a gun and drone at the same time?

The drone has a decently long hover time and return home function so just fly it out, get a good location, do your shooting within 10-20 min and click return home, you can watch the feed and record off the phone right next to the rifle

Reactions: Bender
I apologize for being such a skeptic, I guess I’m too chicken to risk my drone flying so far but clearly you can make it work well in the right conditions.

577A6558-967E-48A8-853D-1330E6CB4D7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I clicked mine to sport mode which turns off the proximity control and immediately crashed it into a tree at full speed (about 30mph) broke a few blades and had to climb through poison oak to get it but clipped on few new blades and took the above pictures later that day. I also have flown it about 1500 yards off the coast of terceria island in the azores and it got attacked by seagulls but survived. The mavic pro is surprisingly rugged. I’d recommend it in a heartbeat

Yeah I fly my cracked propellor blades as long as possible, buy half a dozen once you commit. You also need to keep at least two freshly charged batteries, more if you're doing something for more than a few runs.

Other good items to get are spare phone to controller cables, extended landing feet (so the camera isn't in the mud) and a set of ND filters so you can shoot video in bright light. Ideally your shutter speed should be twice ISO so you add or remove ND filters to achieve the optimal speed.

I have a $10 set of hard fiber cases that protect the controller and drone so I can just through them into a backpack, works well.

I just picked up an Inspire 2 as my first GPS enabled drone. Man purpose is for thermal scanning at night.

Hope to take without to the range next month.

These things are stupid easy to fly it seems.

Reactions: Frankly
I just picked up an Inspire 2 as my first GPS enabled drone. Man purpose is for thermal scanning at night.

Hope to take without to the range next month.

These things are stupid easy to fly it seems.

The inspire 2 doesn't have a thermal capable camera that I know of. I know guys are rigging up external thermals but they can be a pain in the but. If you want an inspire with thermal technology, go with a Inspire 1 with a XT or XT2 camera or one of the Flir Vue pro cameras.

I really wish that DJI would come out with a thermal camera for the Inspire 2 that was 640x 512 with 60hz.

I've used my phantom 4 to fly out and take a look at steel. It works really handy. If a guy wants they can fly out, land a short distance away, turn the blades off and just watch through the camera, then pick up and come home, or hover out of the path. With GPS technology in these drones, when you drop the sticks the drone will hover there until it needs to come home.

Deano

Reactions: Fig and Frankly
The inspire 2 doesn't have a thermal capable camera that I know of. I know guys are rigging up external thermals but they can be a pain in the but. If you want an inspire with thermal technology, go with a Inspire 1 with a XT or XT2 camera or one of the Flir Vue pro cameras.

I really wish that DJI would come out with a thermal camera for the Inspire 2 that was 640x 512 with 60hz.

I've used my phantom 4 to fly out and take a look at steel. It works really handy. If a guy wants they can fly out, land a short distance away, turn the blades off and just watch through the camera, then pick up and come home, or hover out of the path. With GPS technology in these drones, when you drop the sticks the drone will hover there until it needs to come home.

Deano

Just picked this up. Uses a Tarot gombal, separate controller/screen/battery.

I wanted the inspire 2 as it's much quicker and more agile. I believe it'll handle itself in windy conditions better then the Inspire 1 or Matrice. Also battery life.

Yes having two screens and controllers may be a pain but I'll never be flying it with thermal by myself anyways.

Attachments

• 20180501_172010.jpg
    20180501_172010.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 94
I’ve used the phantom with decent results. Mostly it’s just a pain to pack it up get it setup fly it and keep batterys charged but in some situations they are the thing. If you have a spare phone or iPad with cell service or your buddies just download an app called Manything. This app lets you turn a remote phone into a remote control camera. You can turn the camera or video on or off and view it on your phone resting beside your rifle while shooting. It’s free and endless range. Just put a piece of steel in front of it if your worried about hitting it

Got some footage today out at 1 mile. Need to buy a larger memory card since this one filled up fast and didn’t film all the impacts on target. Was great to use and very happy with it. I will Rick getting closer to the target next time.

Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Both rounds are short action magnum rounds. Both have the same parent case, the 404 jefferies
Both were designed to deliver near magnum performance in a short action, hence the names, winchester SHORT magnum and Remington SHORT action Ultra magnum
Both a normally chambered in short actions, though many folks chamber them in long actions in order to seat the bullets out farther. Putting either one in the short action will hamper them equally.
The case length for the WSM is 2.1 inches, for the SAUM 2.015.
The WSM has a bit more case capacity, The SAUM has a very slightly longer neck and is actually a bit more efficient.
There are actually rifles chambered in WSM, even Remington chambers the 700, I don't think they chamber a rifle in SAUM.
There isn't enough difference between the two to worry about, check sources for brass and let that be the deciding factor
Got some footage today out at 1 mile. Need to buy a larger memory card since this one filled up fast and didn’t film all the impacts on target. Was great to use and very happy with it. I will Rick getting closer to the target next time.

How are you getting sound on your videos? Are you running an external mic and splicing it back in?
Xdeano

How are you getting sound on your videos? Are you running an external mic and splicing it back in?
Xdeano
Do you have a Mavic Pro? If so there is a settings to turn on the audio. Keep in mind the audio is coming from your phone not the drone or controller. Let me know if you need help finding the setting.

Good shooting! There were some very close misses. Good footage and great music. I do like how you give people the distance prospective by flying out and back in.
Is that a phantom?

We have, and do use them. We have used them for atmospheric mapping, and other things.

The problem is, a number of the ELR Matches have banned devices which record any information forward of the firing line. It is actually fairly simple for us to program the autopilot system using AB Analytics to get data from the trajectory the bullet will follow.

Good shooting! There were some very close misses. Good footage and great music. I do like how you give people the distance prospective by flying out and back in.
Is that a phantom?

Rhanks. It was a buddy's phantom 4 and it did a nice job. The wind was a bitch yesterday with the way it was gusting.

Use a phantom 4 fairly regularly at a mile on steel. Works fine.
Need spare batteries. Need extra room to carry more junk.
Maintenance at home requires less time for other things, time management thing.
Need more patience to set up drone, range, and shooting gear.
Get frustrated trying to see iPad screen in bright sunlight.
Lose some shooting concentration f'g with drone.
Can see hits at a mile.
Pluses, minuses.....

Have an inspire 1 with flir thermal camera. Doesn't work as good as phantom spotting hits at mile. Ah, shit, forgot to put day camera on....
Day camera, inspire weighs a little more than phantom, wind screws with it more,
A bit more lost concentration for shooting. Team effort helps a lot.
Arranging partner can get aggravating when job interferes..
Little stuff to think about.

I have used my DJI Phantom 4 many times for long range shooting . Also , my 1400 yard range has cattle free ranging on it and the drone works great for moving the cattle out of the way when needed.

It seems you have to drive down range to paint the targets if not set them up. Why not create a stand and just leave it in cam mode extending the battery and taking the piloting out of the picture.

As pointed out, FOV stuff is basically what the early target cams used.

We were just fucking around and the guy wanted to try it out. This was the first time he shot that far so he had more fun showing the flight to the target than anything lol. It didn't take much to amuse him this time out. He just got into long range shooting but I think he is the type the newness will wear out fairly quick. I hope not because it's his in laws property.

I have a Phantom 4 pro v2 and have been successful using it out to 1600m. I hover it about 10m short of the target and 5 m to the side. Camera is a little wide but it does work to replace the spotting scope. I also have the Crystal Sky monitor and that is easy to see in direct sunlight. Would like to reduce the focal length on the camera and it would be perfect. Or go big and get the Inspire 2 and x7 camera. If you want thermal you will have to go with the Matrice 200 if you want more than 15min flight time. $15,000.00 is what it would take. Phantom 4 is good for what I need.

Please forgive my shity flying and filming abilities on this video. Not sure why the sound wasn’t recorded in this video.

Do any drones record sound? Wouldnt it just be a constant "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" from the blades?

Also, thats a shit load of nothingness out there!

Do any drones record sound? Wouldnt it just be a constant "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" from the blades?

Also, thats a shit load of nothingness out there!
Good question. No mic on the drone but it uses the mic on your phone/controller so you can hear when the shots are taken. Hearing and seeing the 3 second flight time is eye opening for some people when shooting out to a mile.
Eastern Colorado desolate as hell. Hard telling the difference between it and Kansas sometimes except you can still see the mountains.

Reactions: spife7980
I tried hovering my Mavic Pro downrange (700yds) while shooting, and the drone fighting the gusting winds, and the constant "obstruction alerts" due to trees was a distraction. So, then I decided to sit the Mavic Pro downrange on a table, stationary, off to the side, and just use it like a camera. Since it will only do 2x zoom, I had to have it closer than I liked. Well, you know where this is going. After after about 75 - 100 rounds without incident, I managed to put a .308 round through one of the legs. My elevation was perfect. Obviously the windage was not. Fortunately, cosmetic damage only. So NOW I sit a steel plate in front of it to protect it. Lesson learned.

I tried hovering my Mavic Pro downrange (700yds) while shooting, and the drone fighting the gusting winds, and the constant "obstruction alerts" due to trees was a distraction. So, then I decided to sit the Mavic Pro downrange on a table, stationary, off to the side, and just use it like a camera. Since it will only do 2x zoom, I had to have it closer than I liked. Well, you know where this is going. After after about 75 - 100 rounds without incident, I managed to put a .308 round through one of the legs. My elevation was perfect. Obviously the windage was not. Fortunately, cosmetic damage only. So NOW I sit a steel plate in front of it to protect it. Lesson learned.
That sucks and sorry to hear that. I was wanting to place a landing pad out near the targets to extend the battery life. Might learn from your incident and use the steel plate as you mentioned.
Video would be fun for us (maybe not you) to View?

Sorry, no video of me shooting my own drone. Doh. The Mavic picture quality is amazing, and NO problem whatsoever getting strong signal at 700 yds. But, the Mavic camera can only aim straight out, or downwards, NOT upwards. that is why I had to put it up on the table and could not just leave it low. I am shooting 12" paper splatter targets, and the Mavic does well at displaying those impacts, but it is much harder to see the lateral misses in the cardboard when trying to get the windage right.