• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why don't aluminum chassis use anodized coating?

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    It seems most of the aluminum chassis manufacturers apply a ceracoat finish to the chassis. After some use the finish is chipped and scratched. Why don't they use an anodized finish which is much harder?

How do you know they don’t cerakote over the anodization?
    I’m kinda curious which you’re talking about.

I would guess it comes down to $$$ and color options...... And as people will soon jump to tell you, one is a coating and one actually effects the surface structure of the alloy.
    I'm with you, anodising for the win!🤣
    Pete

If I had a choice I would choose anodizing too. How much is anodizing mpa matrix chassis?

Because they make more money recoating the chassis after their props beath them up.

• Haha
    Reactions: ShtrRdy
    I buy the matrix and right after pro comes out, then slim check riser comes out and now anodizing. I should never buy too early 😭😭😭

• Haha
    Reactions: ShtrRdy
    Because they make more money recoating the chassis after their props beath them up.
    1696692693866.png

Maybe it's just far easier to control Cerakote in house than sending it out to get anodized...

Reactions: lash
    How do you know they don’t cerakote over the anodization?
    I’m kinda curious which you’re talking about.
    Because when the color gets scratched/chipped the underlying metal looks like aluminum. Some of which are deep enough to deform the aluminum.

Anodizing does not make the material significantly more resistant to dings and dents, yes a small amount.
    Anodizing does resist light scratches and wears a long time. Anodizing is far thinner than a piece of paper, and is only on the surface. It also provides corrosion resistance.
    But dings and dents happen because 6061 aluminum is soft and malleable, regardless of the surface layer. Find a chassis made out of 7075 and it will drastically reduce the amount of dings.