• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Why is leaving batteries in thermal and NV devices such a big no no?

Yes, don't take a chance of trashing them over batterys. I've had every battery mgf out there an all have leaked at one point of the other. It only takes 10 seconds to install them, not worth the risk unless you have deep pockets.

Reactions: OG10 and Dan M
Generally it is sage wisdom when dealing with conventional batteries. Old style batteries can leak and destroy the unit's terminals which kills the device for all intents and purposes since it would have to be torn down to repair.

Lithium batteries are typically packaged to prevent any leak of the electrolyte due to its incredibly reactive properties. I have only had one Li battery go and that was in a laptop. It grew in size to the point where it pushed the cover out but the case didn't breach and nothing leaked.

Yeah I take mine out every time.

Except for my radius because it's a PITA to put batteries in. And my scopes with illuminated reticles Hope they never leak

image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Yeah I take mine out every time.

Except for my radius because it's a PITA to put batteries in. And my scopes with illuminated reticles Hope they never leak

View attachment 7121477

Now ain't that a fucking disappointment...

Ever since these Li-Ion Energizers had been on the market, I have been using them for almost everything. Mini-Maglite 260 lumen used to be my primary work and EDC light and the longest I have left those same cells inside the unit was 4 months straight. No leak. And that was actually a slip-up on my part. Having had alkaline batteries leak all up in my equipment in the past, I usually take all batteries out every few days overnight from important devices to "air them out". I forgot to do that with the Maglite because every time I got off from work I'd be exhausted as fuck or hitting the whiskey flask straight away. I was impressed that the new Energizers didn't leak while they were in the unit all that time.

I carry a Fenix 1000 lumen these days now. Single 18650 cell powered. Still air it out every once in a while. Murphy's Law exists for a reason and I don't take chances with that.

While we are on the subject.
Has anyone had batteries leak that were NOT in a device ?

Long time ago. Some dude was selling batteries on the NYC subway. $2 for pack of 10. Duracell knockoffs LOL. I got one just for the shits of it. Used the first pair in a clip-on work light. Lasted about 15 minutes before going dark. LOL again. Left the rest of the pack in my tool closet and when I found them again a few months later, most of them had white/greenish fuzz sprouting out the ends and the seam on the wrapper. You get what ya' pay for...

Reactions: TACC
Yes,
I stock battery's deep for a number of reasons, I have had all mfg's leak in the unopened package they came in. I have better luck with rechargable than anything else. These I keep a good supply of as well an many means of recharging them as well. I'm not going to get killed or fucked over because a hand full of battery's failed me,...

Yes,
I stock battery's deep for a number of reasons, I have had all mfg's leak in the unopened package they came in. I have better luck with rechargable than anything else. These I keep a good supply of as well an many means of recharging them as well. I'm not going to get killed or fucked over because a hand full of battery's failed me,...

Rechargeables have come a long way these days. They have definitely enjoyed being in the sidecar with the battery technology "revolution" that began around 2008 or so.

When I had been a real young'un, I remember my parents would have a whole box set of rechargeable Panasonic AA's along with a VHS-rewinder style charging unit that held up to 16, for all of the household goods that took 'em. Super throwback joints right there. Those rechargeables were about as reliable as the knockoffs that subway station traveling vendors would peddle. 30 minutes of service in an incandescent flashlight, then dimming.

I am running 2016-made Panasonic rechargeables in jacket/pants clip-on LED worklights now as I am crawling around warehouse shelves pulling stock and doing inventory. Holding strong so far even after repeated and continuous use.

If the batteries didn't leak and you could keep them in your thermal or NV would having the "circuit energized all the time cause any problems" or do manufactures recommend not leaving them in for the sole reason of the batteries leaking?

Reactions: spife7980
I am running 2016-made Panasonic rechargeables in jacket/pants clip-on LED worklights now as I am crawling around warehouse shelves pulling stock and doing inventory. Holding strong so far even after repeated and continuous use.

Are you running the Eneloop ones?
I've been using the same set of 3 for a couple years now daily and recharging each week and they are still working well.

I've been using the same set of 3 for a couple years now daily and recharging each week and they are still working well.

You got it, that's the one.

The reason why I bought them is because I read that Sanyo Corp. has been contracted by Panasonic to make these. Sanyo products have a rock-solid reputation for reliability. We have a Sanyo table fan that my father had purchased shortly after coming here in 1985. It is still running flawlessly today. Whisper quiet and powerful output.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
You got it, that's the one.

The reason why I bought them is because I read that Sanyo Corp. has been contracted by Panasonic to make these. Sanyo products have a rock-solid reputation for reliability. We have a Sanyo table fan that my father had purchased shortly after coming here in 1985. It is still running flawlessly today. Whisper quiet and powerful output.
Sanyo has been my go from the 70's on if they make it, no matter what it is.

I’ve been running eneloop for 5 years with zero failures. That being said, i do not leave them in my pvs14

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Yes, Just 2 weeks ago I looked at a package of Durocell AA batteries with a 2025 expiration date and four of the 16 were swollen and leaking. I have had several Durocell batteries leak in a device and ruin the contacts. One flashlight had batteries so swollen that I had to dissemble the flashlight and drive the batteries out.

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper
I generally run lithiums in everything to mitigate leaking, but If I'm not going to use the gear within the next week, I still take them out.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I don't leave batteries in NODs but I do leave Surefire batteries in flashlights and PEQ's. FWIW, I have one PEQ that has minor damage from a AA that leaked and corroded the contacts. And I always left 'em in an EoTech when I had one.

For whatever reason I guess the coin batteries aren't an issue? Because we always leave those installed in expensive optics, etc. too.

But never NODs or thermal...

I take mine out. I keep lying to myself, "I'll leave the batteries in..I'm going to use it next weekend" then 3 months pass before I get another chance to go hunting, and the batteries are still in it...and dead. I knew if I kept it up, it would bite me in the butt.

I always take mine out. i just upgraded from a Pulsar to a Trijicon. The dealer suggested i remove them each time - it will slowly drain them. The more important part is the battery swell if they happen to be bad. I just hate to ruin at $6k device over a $10 battery.

On remove from the PEQ2 as it's crappily designed, so drains slowly.

Other high dollar stuff I have has proper switches — and all get good batteries — so haven't had a leak or dead battery surprise in years.

Totally have had leaks when I use a random battery, even in good stuff. The principle is solid: opening the battery bay before storing is a good idea, to check on water ingress, and make sure it's a good battery at least. But if batteries are out of things, I don't use them then :(

Not sure if anyone else saw it but I had mentioned this to another member here that there was a PVS-27 for sale on eBay for $2,500. The issue was someone had left the batteries in it and they leaked. He showed a picture of the corrosion inside the battery compartment. While the seller said the unit worked and showed what he said was a picture of the unit on he was still selling it "as is". Unfortunately it sold before I had gotten word the the member here as he was interested in one.

A $10k plus optic went for next to nothing all because someone left the batteries in it.