• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is the right thing so often the hard thing?

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Had to put our dog down today. She was a rescue Doberman that spent the first 2 years of her life in a closet and 4'x4' pen outside. She was a little frightened when we got her home the first time and was faced with 50 acres of space. She was always a little goofy but loved her freedom and was content to stay around her home. Our slow minded rescue lab also helped even her out when things got a little sideways for her.

Despite her quirks she never lied, cheated or had bad thoughts. Just a good dog that had a rough start in life.

Logically I know I did the right thing....always surprised at how hard it is to actually do the right thing

It's a very hard thing and the right thing to do. Just know that you gave the dog a good life that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. I think all dogs go to heaven!

Sorry for the loss of your pup Pester. Its definately a tough thing to do. Despite her rough start in life, rest assured the remainder of her life, with you, made up for it.

Pester,
I'm very sorry for your loss. I have had to do that unpleasant task way too many times, and it NEVER gets any easier.
Some time ago I thought about why it hurts so damned much, and I came to the conclusion that I would rather have the pain than not have enjoyed the incredible love that eventually resulted in the pain. Helping your friend to the other side is the final act of love you can show them. Some of the ache stays with us for a very long time..so do the memories of great love though.

I wish you all the best, and my most sincere condolences for your loss.

I'm not sorry. I'm glad. I can tell by your words that she was loved, and that's all that matters. No one calls their dog goofy without it. Thanks for being there for her. Both in the beginning and the end. How's the lab taking it?

Had to put our dog down today. She was a rescue Doberman that spent the first 2 years of her life in a closet and 4'x4' pen outside. She was a little frightened when we got her home the first time and was faced with 50 acres of space. She was always a little goofy but loved her freedom and was content to stay around her home. Our slow minded rescue lab also helped even her out when things got a little sideways for her.

Despite her quirks she never lied, cheated or had bad thoughts. Just a good dog that had a rough start in life.

Logically I know I did the right thing....always surprised at how hard it is to actually do the right thing

Sorry for your loss. We had to do the same thing recently. Was hard, but the right thing.