• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why isn't 300 Win Mag used for PRS?

Biggest reason is that whoever bought the steel hates having holes put in their under five hundred yard steel. It also kicks the shooter nearly twice as hard as a .260 that will score the same points. Come up with a match that multplies hits times the force of the impact and everyone will be rining a .300 WM or a .300 Norma.

Reactions: RavenKing
Simplest reason is spotting your misses. No matter how good the ballistic advantage of a larger/faster caliber at some point the wind is going to blow you off target. If you can't see where that bullet hit and how far off target you were you can't make a correction to get an impact the next shot. Heavy recoil is also difficult to manage in compromised positions for quick follow up shots, even if there isn't wind and you don't need to spot misses.

I don't think 300WM has ever been popular in PRS, don't know if mainstream popularity is fading though.

I have used mine in matches including taking 6th at the 2012 SH Cup with it as well as some top 5s but the recoil and larger cases aren't needed. It will not punch holes in steel even down to 100 yards but over all it's too much energy for the task at hand. Some people have shot them over the years but just moved to better options.

I have used mine in matches including taking 6th at the 2012 SH Cup with it as well as some top 5s but the recoil and larger cases aren't needed. It will not punch holes in steel even down to 100 yards but over all it's too much energy for the task at hand. Some people have shot them over the years but just moved to better options.

Fargo007 did tell me that mine had punched several holes in his 300 yard steel a few years ago, and asked me not to shoot any targets closer than 500 yards for the remainder of the course. That was shooting FGMM 190gr bullets. Perhaps you only attend matches that enforce some lower upper limit on MV than the MV of the FGMM 190's. While I'm not claiming to have personally witnessed these hole nor did I conduct any test's to verify that it was my .300 WM causing them, I don't have any reason to doubt Fargo007's word on it as I had the only Magnum amoung the students.

I have shot mine a few times there and never put holes in his steel. I was shooting 208 AMAXs at around 2950fps, which is faster than the 190 FGMM. It must have been a piece of soft steel because I have shot 208 AMAX at 2950fps at 3/8" AR 500 at 100 yards and not a dimple.

Last edited:
Last year Lester shot a 300wm Ai at Rockcastle.
Didn't tear up any steel that I heard of.
Wasn't hard to tell when he hit.

R

Yup that is one huge pro with the 300WM. When those big bullets hit they hit hard and seeing hits and splash is no problem.

I'd bet a paycheck it was softer steel. I shoot my AR500 at 100 with .300WM Berger 168's and 210's. Makes a helluva thud on them but haven't even started to deform the plates yet. Not gonna wait till I do to stop doing steel at 100 with Magnums. .300WM I doubt will ever lose it's popularity. I don't shoot matches, but it's pretty obvious I'd say why more don't use it in matches.

Yea, I've never pierced steel with 210 VLD or 215 hybrids. Even at 100yrds. had to be soft steel.

300 has its place if you need energy down range, but you can get similar ballistics at normal match ranges that is both easier on the shoulder and the wallet. Run a hot 6.5 in matches, run the .300 when you want to make sure that animal gets dropped at 800+ yards. lol

My observations are that you saw more 300WM years ago when stages had fewer shots, at longer ranges, with more UKD. Stan The Man (RIP) kicked my butt for years with his AWM. Currently, with the match formats and skills stations the way they are, magnum loadings are not the best solution to the problem.

I shot a 7WSW for 2 years in matches, and don't get me wrong, I loved it. There was no doubt when those 180 Bergers hit or missed. There is authority there. But my 6.5CM load shots almost identical to the 7WSM out to 900, and beats it hands down in barrel life, recoil/follow up, and COST. The current formats favor light recoiling calibers, without a benefit to the larger projectiles. It's just the best tool for the job.

The magnums still shine when conditions make impacts and misses hard to see. Having been both behind the gun and the spotting scope when small calibers are flying in bad conditions, I can say it gets tough. This of course does not include terminal ballistics on soft targets.

Lastly, as Rob will attest, if a match favors close range paper, the larger diameter of the 30 caliber rounds may cut an extra line or two. At least one of the guys on his team (the pioneers of the 6.5CM) played with a 30 cal mag loading to increase points on paper.

One guys thoughts.....

Doc

I was going I mention Stan (RIP) and his big 300WM but figured there wouldn't be enough people here that would remember him. Glad one did Doc.

Yup Kevin played with the 300 RCM for a while for that reason but as you mentioned the way the matches are going today they do favor the 6mm or 6.5mm rounds. More rounds, faster at shorter ranges. Being able to stay on glass and see your own impacts helps a lot.

How much does it help if you decide to brake it or can it?
Considering the 300 or 3006. Want for elk in the rockies and maybe get into matches.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Another point to think of is your mag choices. Unless things have changed you can get a 5rd or a 7rd mag. That 7rd mag is the size of a fucking ipad and good luck going prone with it.

If you use a brake like the APA fat bastard you see a big difference.

Between a 308 or a 30-06 I would take the 308. Minor difference between the two and the 308 will be better all around for hunting/matches. If you have an open mind I would go with 6.5CM. I used to sell custom rifles for a living and 6.5CM was my go to recommendation for hunting game up to elk and matches. Best of both worlds.

They make 10 round AI mags for the 300WM and have for some time. I used them in both my rifles but you are correct that they are long as they are single stack and not a staggered stack and single feed like the other AICS mags.

A brake or can is is definitely a huge help and highly recommended if you plan to shoot a 300 in matches. Will help you stay on target better.

As mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor will do the job for both your needs. Unless you plan on taking the elk near 800 yards and out then the 300 would come in a little better with more energy. A friend of mine took a bull elk at 750 yards with his Creedmoor. No issues but shot placement is important.

Lefty tikkas aren't available in any of the creedmores from the factory. Also first centerfire bolt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

They make 10 round AI mags for the 300WM and have for some time. I used them in both my rifles but you are correct that they are long as they are single stack and not a staggered stack and single feed like the other AICS mags.

A brake or can is is definitely a huge help and highly recommended if you plan to shoot a 300 in matches. Will help you stay on target better.

As mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor will do the job for both your needs. Unless you plan on taking the elk near 800 yards and out then the 300 would come in a little better with more energy. A friend of mine took a bull elk at 750 yards with his Creedmoor. No issues but shot placement is important.

an AXMC with a double-stack 10 round magazine is bliss :-D

I'd say the .300 wm has more advantages in the terminal performance area...It's a good big game and person dropper. Maybe a little over kill for steel within 600.

the reason 300wm ain't so popular.......along with other overbore magnum rounds, is that they wear barrels out....read expensive to play with compared to other-less-powder rounds.....the target don't know the difference